Mittens damp on the inside

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by bikester62, Dec 1, 2010.

1. bikester62

bikester62 New Member

I acquired some cold weather mittens that were hailed as waterproof and breathable: a mitten on the outside, a with sewn in liner glove. My hands perspire and the inside of the glove gets damp and stays damp all day. Is there some trick that I'm missing here?

Tags:

2. 64Paramount

64Paramount Active Member

My cool weather gloves are the Performance Bike house brand and they do the same thing.

My hands do stay warm, but they are damp most of the time.

3. davereo

davereo Well-Known Member

I also use the Performance brand glove they perform well from 30 to 45 degrees. I leave them in my garage so I am always putting them on cold and they warm up while I am out riding. This is my trick to help keep my hands dry. Above 45 I use the Nashbar brand full finger unlined gloves that sell for around 6.99 on sale. Below 30 I use Columbia snow board gloves. The mittens you are using may be rated for temps lower than you are using them for.
    One way that I gage to see if I am properly dressed for a ride is once I am fully dressed I step outside and if I feel warm and comfy I am overdressed and remove a layer. The same goes for my hands if they are warm and toasty before you get moving your gloves are too thick. Put something else on your hands. The best way I can described how you should feel when getting on your bike for a cool weather rides is like stepping into an airconditioned building in the middle of July.