mity 3 and 8 computer mounting

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by [email protected], Sep 23, 2004.

  1. I had a mity 3 computer which I was very happy with until it started to
    develop connection issues. I had to dismantle the mount and resolder
    the joints and refill the wax filled cavity on the back with silicone
    sealant to hold the wires back in. The connections were still
    unreliable (possibly because the terminals were now slightly loose due
    to overheating them when soldering and melting the plastic a little. I
    was looking around for a discounted mity 3 (as the 8 was just out) but
    when cyclexpress offered the mity 8 for about the same price as others
    offered the 3 (and with free delivery) I decided to get one (esp when
    someone confirmed that the mounts were compatible). After about six
    months the mity 8 developed connection issues as well which were
    addressed by gfently twisting the computer clockwise in its mount. I
    find that the interface between the band that goes round the handlebars
    and the platform that accepts the computer is rather loose (they snap
    together with a plastic tab) and that the computer is also loose within
    this platform. The connnection has been getting less reliable recently
    and I am considering dismantling it all and looking into hardwiring the
    assembly and generally glueing it all up but I wondered whether anyone
    else has had similar experiences since I have a 100% failure rate
    (albeit on a small sample).

    The manual start feature on the mity 3 & 8 is an essential for me (as
    essential as computers are that is:)as is the programable odometer. The
    two distance registers is a nice to have feature.

    Can anyone offer any experiences of fixing the mounts or suggest their
    favourute computer based on my requirements

    best wishes
    james

    Tags:

  2. "[email protected]" <[email protected]> writes:

    [about problems with Mity 3 and Mity 8 mounts and connections]

    I find the Mity 8 mount very unreliable -- several times I have
    popped it out when trying to start it, and the other day I hit a
    slight pot-hole and it went flying and under the wheel of a
    following car. Now admiring the abstract image on the display...

    Brendan
    --
    Brendan Halpin, Department of Sociology, University of Limerick, Ireland
    Tel: w +353-61-213147 f +353-61-202569 h +353-61-338562; Room F2-025 x 3147

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I had a mity 3 computer which I was very happy with until it started
    > to develop connection issues.

    No problems with mine, it's the most reliable computer* I've ever used,
    and you won't find many other users complaining about this very popular
    model*.

    * including all the hardware.

    ~PB

  4. Graham

    Graham Guest

    "Brendan Halpin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > "[email protected]" <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    > [about problems with Mity 3 and Mity 8 mounts and connections]
    >
    > I find the Mity 8 mount very unreliable -- several times I have
    > popped it out when trying to start it, and the other day I hit a
    > slight pot-hole and it went flying and under the wheel of a
    > following car. Now admiring the abstract image on the display...

    I've had the same problem with mine, it does seem unsecure in the mounting.

    Graham

    > Brendan
    > --
    > Brendan Halpin, Department of Sociology, University of Limerick,
    > Ireland
    > Tel: w +353-61-213147 f +353-61-202569 h +353-61-338562; Room F2-025 x
    > 3147
    > mailto:[email protected]
    > http://www.ul.ie/sociology/brendan.halpin.html

  5. Motty.1

    Motty.1 New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2003
    I have the Mity3\Enduro models as well and so far (touching wood here) they have been problem free. I like the two trip meters and the programable odometer they have. If they failed tomorrow I would try and find the same again.

    Cheers
    Richard

  6. chris French

    chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Pete Biggs
    <pblackcherry{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> writes
    >[email protected] wrote:
    >> I had a mity 3 computer which I was very happy with until it started
    >> to develop connection issues.

    >No problems with mine, it's the most reliable computer* I've ever used,
    >and you won't find many other users complaining about this very popular
    >model*.
    >
    >* including all the hardware.

    Indeed, I've had a 3 for some years, and also an 8 for about a year, no
    probs with either.
    --
    Chris French, Leeds