mity 3 and 8 computer mounting

I had a mity 3 computer which I was very happy with until it started to
develop connection issues. I had to dismantle the mount and resolder
the joints and refill the wax filled cavity on the back with silicone
sealant to hold the wires back in. The connections were still
unreliable (possibly because the terminals were now slightly loose due
to overheating them when soldering and melting the plastic a little. I
was looking around for a discounted mity 3 (as the 8 was just out) but
when cyclexpress offered the mity 8 for about the same price as others
offered the 3 (and with free delivery) I decided to get one (esp when
someone confirmed that the mounts were compatible). After about six
months the mity 8 developed connection issues as well which were
addressed by gfently twisting the computer clockwise in its mount. I
find that the interface between the band that goes round the handlebars
and the platform that accepts the computer is rather loose (they snap
together with a plastic tab) and that the computer is also loose within
this platform. The connnection has been getting less reliable recently
and I am considering dismantling it all and looking into hardwiring the
assembly and generally glueing it all up but I wondered whether anyone
else has had similar experiences since I have a 100% failure rate
(albeit on a small sample).

The manual start feature on the mity 3 & 8 is an essential for me (as
essential as computers are that is:)as is the programable odometer. The
two distance registers is a nice to have feature.

Can anyone offer any experiences of fixing the mounts or suggest their
favourute computer based on my requirements

best wishes
james

"[email protected]" <[email protected]> writes:

[about problems with Mity 3 and Mity 8 mounts and connections]

I find the Mity 8 mount very unreliable -- several times I have
popped it out when trying to start it, and the other day I hit a
slight pot-hole and it went flying and under the wheel of a
following car. Now admiring the abstract image on the display...

Brendan
--
Brendan Halpin, Department of Sociology, University of Limerick, Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147 f +353-61-202569 h +353-61-338562; Room F2-025 x 3147

[email protected] wrote:
> I had a mity 3 computer which I was very happy with until it started
> to develop connection issues.

No problems with mine, it's the most reliable computer* I've ever used,
and you won't find many other users complaining about this very popular
model*.

* including all the hardware.

~PB

"Brendan Halpin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "[email protected]" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> [about problems with Mity 3 and Mity 8 mounts and connections]
>
> I find the Mity 8 mount very unreliable -- several times I have
> popped it out when trying to start it, and the other day I hit a
> slight pot-hole and it went flying and under the wheel of a
> following car. Now admiring the abstract image on the display...

I've had the same problem with mine, it does seem unsecure in the mounting.

Graham

> Brendan
> --
> Brendan Halpin, Department of Sociology, University of Limerick,
> Ireland
> Tel: w +353-61-213147 f +353-61-202569 h +353-61-338562; Room F2-025 x
> 3147
> mailto:[email protected]
> http://www.ul.ie/sociology/brendan.halpin.html

Can anyone offer any experiences of fixing the mounts or suggest their
favourute computer based on my requirements

best wishes
james

I have the Mity3\Enduro models as well and so far (touching wood here) they have been problem free. I like the two trip meters and the programable odometer they have. If they failed tomorrow I would try and find the same again.

Cheers
Richard

In message <[email protected]>, Pete Biggs
<pblackcherry{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> writes
>[email protected] wrote:
>> I had a mity 3 computer which I was very happy with until it started
>> to develop connection issues.

>No problems with mine, it's the most reliable computer* I've ever used,
>and you won't find many other users complaining about this very popular
>model*.
>
>* including all the hardware.

Indeed, I've had a 3 for some years, and also an 8 for about a year, no
probs with either.
--
Chris French, Leeds