Mix-and-Match Drivetrain ???

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by David Hallerman, Jan 27, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    Well, cold weather leads to bike upgrade (downgrade?) thoughts, such as this mildly mix-and-match
    drivetrain. Will it work well (not just okay) in indexed mode?

    * Brifters: Dura-Ace 9-speed STI

    * Front derailleur: Dura-Ace 8-speed, or perhaps earlier 7-speed

    * Rear derailleur: XTR, original model 8-speed

    * Cassette: Deore XT 12x34 9-speed

    * Chainrings: Ultegra 53/39, 9-speed

    * Crank: Dura-Ace 7-speed

    * Chain: Dura-Ace 9-speed or Wippermann 9-speed

    Are there any subtleties about putting together such a drivetrain to be aware of to make it work
    well (aka, as well as all-current Dura-Ace, for example)?

    Thanks for your opinionated opinions,

    David

    Tags:

  2. Bruce Frech

    Bruce Frech Guest

    It should all work fine. I do something similar for touring: I replace my road cassette (12-27) with
    a 12-34, and only need to switch the rear derr to a XT. All of the Shimano rear derrs, except Dura
    Ace 7&8 speed, since indexing began use the same geometery / dimensions. So for a given brifter
    cable length change they all move the same horizontal distance.

    Bruce

    "David Hallerman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Well, cold weather leads to bike upgrade (downgrade?) thoughts, such as
    this
    > mildly mix-and-match drivetrain. Will it work well (not just okay) in
    indexed
    > mode?
    >
    > * Brifters: Dura-Ace 9-speed STI
    >
    > * Front derailleur: Dura-Ace 8-speed, or perhaps earlier 7-speed
    >
    > * Rear derailleur: XTR, original model 8-speed
    >
    > * Cassette: Deore XT 12x34 9-speed
    >
    > * Chainrings: Ultegra 53/39, 9-speed
    >
    > * Crank: Dura-Ace 7-speed
    >
    > * Chain: Dura-Ace 9-speed or Wippermann 9-speed
    >
    > Are there any subtleties about putting together such a drivetrain to be
    aware
    > of to make it work well (aka, as well as all-current Dura-Ace, for
    example)?

    > Thanks for your opinionated opinions,
    >
    > David

  3. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 22:29:43 GMT, David Hallerman
    <[email protected]> may have said:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Well, cold weather leads to bike upgrade (downgrade?) thoughts, such as this mildly mix-and-match
    >drivetrain. Will it work well (not just okay) in indexed mode?

    I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work just fine. Go for it.

    it's also possible that I'm busy.