Mix-&-Match (Shimano & Campy) Question

StaceyJ

Guest
After 6 years of faithful service, my Ultegra brifters are finally
fading. I had planned on moving to 10 speed - slowly - by purchasing a
new set of brifters (Ultegra or DA), and pairing them up with an 8s DA
rear mech until I was able to afford (the only bad thing about being a
student again) the 10s casette and RD (I know, I can still use my
Ultegra RD, but its pretty battle scarred after a few commuter near
misses).

Anyhow, a perusal of performance bike has led me to change my
mind...$360 for ULTEGRA?!?! has Shimano finally lost it?

So I'm thinking that a move to Campy is in order (who'd have ever thunk
that ergo would be cheaper?). I'd like to go with the same general
battle plan - 10s brifters shifting a 9s drivetrain with Shimano
wheels/casette. Are there any mix-&-matches that will let me get away
with this, or should I pop for Chorus 9 brifters and replace the cam
when I'm ready to go 10?

Oh, to really make matters confusing, I want to stay with a Shimano
casette to maintain compatibility with my current (shimano 9s DT
shifter) commuter bike.

SYJ

> I'd like to go with the same general battle plan -
> 10s brifters shifting a 9s drivetrain with Shimano
> wheels/casette. Are there any mix-&-matches that
> will let me get away with this?

Yes, 10 speed Ergo with 9 speed Shimano der:
http://www.hubbub.com/ergoleverswshim9.htm

"StaceyJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> After 6 years of faithful service, my Ultegra brifters are finally
> fading. I had planned on moving to 10 speed - slowly - by purchasing a
> new set of brifters (Ultegra or DA), and pairing them up with an 8s DA
> rear mech until I was able to afford (the only bad thing about being a
> student again) the 10s casette and RD (I know, I can still use my
> Ultegra RD, but its pretty battle scarred after a few commuter near
> misses).
>
> Anyhow, a perusal of performance bike has led me to change my
> mind...$360 for ULTEGRA?!?! has Shimano finally lost it?
>
> So I'm thinking that a move to Campy is in order (who'd have ever thunk
> that ergo would be cheaper?). I'd like to go with the same general
> battle plan - 10s brifters shifting a 9s drivetrain with Shimano
> wheels/casette. Are there any mix-&-matches that will let me get away
> with this, or should I pop for Chorus 9 brifters and replace the cam
> when I'm ready to go 10?
>
> Oh, to really make matters confusing, I want to stay with a Shimano
> casette to maintain compatibility with my current (shimano 9s DT
> shifter) commuter bike.
>
> SYJ

Nope. It works fine with short-cage as well. It's really an amazingly
effective adaptation...about the only thing, IME, that shifts better is
a set of downtube levers.

For best results use a shiftmate. http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm

This is by far the best way to do it. Other methods are not even close in
terms of shifting precision and operation.

StaceyJ wrote:

> After 6 years of faithful service, my Ultegra brifters are finally
> fading. I had planned on moving to 10 speed - slowly - by purchasing a
> new set of brifters (Ultegra or DA), and pairing them up with an 8s DA
> rear mech until I was able to afford (the only bad thing about being a
> student again) the 10s casette and RD (I know, I can still use my
> Ultegra RD, but its pretty battle scarred after a few commuter near
> misses).
>
> Anyhow, a perusal of performance bike has led me to change my
> mind...$360 for ULTEGRA?!?! has Shimano finally lost it?
>
> So I'm thinking that a move to Campy is in order (who'd have ever thunk
> that ergo would be cheaper?). I'd like to go with the same general
> battle plan - 10s brifters shifting a 9s drivetrain with Shimano
> wheels/casette. Are there any mix-&-matches that will let me get away
> with this, or should I pop for Chorus 9 brifters and replace the cam
> when I'm ready to go 10?
>
> Oh, to really make matters confusing, I want to stay with a Shimano
> casette to maintain compatibility with my current (shimano 9s DT
> shifter) commuter bike.

Yes you're correct that a Campagnolo Ergo Nine set with any
Campagnolo changer will shift reasonably well in your
current nine wheels and can be upgraded to ten later. In
fact, starting out with a Campagnolo Ten set is an even
better idea as the spacing is the same between cogs.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

"StaceyJ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> After 6 years of faithful service, my Ultegra brifters are finally
> fading. I had planned on moving to 10 speed - slowly - by purchasing a
> new set of brifters (Ultegra or DA), and pairing them up with an 8s DA
> rear mech until I was able to afford (the only bad thing about being a
> student again) the 10s casette and RD (I know, I can still use my
> Ultegra RD, but its pretty battle scarred after a few commuter near
> misses).
>
> Anyhow, a perusal of performance bike has led me to change my
> mind...$360 for ULTEGRA?!?! has Shimano finally lost it?
>
> So I'm thinking that a move to Campy is in order (who'd have ever thunk
> that ergo would be cheaper?). I'd like to go with the same general
> battle plan - 10s brifters shifting a 9s drivetrain with Shimano
> wheels/casette. Are there any mix-&-matches that will let me get away
> with this, or should I pop for Chorus 9 brifters and replace the cam
> when I'm ready to go 10?
>
> Oh, to really make matters confusing, I want to stay with a Shimano
> casette to maintain compatibility with my current (shimano 9s DT
> shifter) commuter bike.
>
> SYJ

Dear Stacey,
I have been using the Campagnolo 10s Ergo with an Ultegra 9s rear end for a
few years now. I use the method of setting up the rear cable above instead
of below the Ultegra cable clamp bolt.

This setup is WONDERFUL! Cheap to maintain, shifts so well you forget that
you are shifting - the bike just seems to always be in the right gear, and
was easy to setup.

I don't see any reason to add another part to the system to "improve" a
system that works so very well already. I do use a impedence matching device
on my cyclocross front V-brakes and am not opposed to appropriate use of
technology. Adding parts to a bike if they are not needed seems to go
against the idea of simplicity and elegence that is the essence of cycling.

Go ahead and try it this way before you buy the extra parts.

Good Luck!

Dave

Stacey-<< After 6 years of faithful service, my Ultegra brifters are finally
fading. I had planned on moving to 10 speed - slowly - by purchasing a
new set of brifters (Ultegra or DA), and pairing them up with an 8s DA
rear mech until I was able to afford (the only bad thing about being a
student again) the 10s casette and RD (I know, I can still use my
Ultegra RD, but its pretty battle scarred after a few commuter near
misses).
>><BR><BR>

<< So I'm thinking that a move to Campy is in order (who'd have ever thunk
that ergo would be cheaper?). I'd like to go with the same general
battle plan - 10s brifters shifting a 9s drivetrain with Shimano
wheels/casette. Are there any mix-&-matches that will let me get away
with this, or should I pop for Chorus 9 brifters and replace the cam
when I'm ready to go 10?

Oh, to really make matters confusing, I want to stay with a Shimano
casette to maintain compatibility with my current (shimano 9s DT
shifter) commuter bike.

SYJ

I answer-you are in luck. A campagnolo 10s ERGO and any Campagnolo rear der
will shift shimano 9s cogset(with one 'click' blocked off') or a shimano 10s
cogset, just use a 9 or 10s chain. You cannot use a shimano 10s shifter set
with any shimano rear der and get 9s spacing. Not only expensive, unrepairable
but also not inter compatible with their own stuff.

So get any Campag 10s ergo, a Campag rear der, adjust and go ride. The spacing
for 10s Campagnolo and shimano 9 and 10s are on either side and very close.

>><BR><BR>

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.