mix & match

manilacyclist

Oct 21, 2003
i'm not normal.

i'd like to ask people in forum if this is possible...

dura-ace or ultegra brake / shift levers on XTR disc brakes and XTR front and rear derailleurs.

i'm a commuter and find the practicality of a cyclocross. but i don't want to use bar-end shifters.

thanks!

manilacyclist said:
i'm not normal.

i'd like to ask people in forum if this is possible...

dura-ace or ultegra brake / shift levers on XTR disc brakes and XTR front and rear derailleurs.

i'm a commuter and find the practicality of a cyclocross. but i don't want to use bar-end shifters.

thanks!
XTR discs are strictly hydraulic, whereas dura-ace/ultegra are wire-operated. There's no way to make these work together without some serious and weird machining/fabrication. They might work with Avid (or other) mech. discs though.
Or you should be able to use XTR hydraulic brake levers along with the R440 shifter.

Derailleurs are usually quite flexible in their use, but I don't quite know to what extent you can mix road/MTB stuff before something starts hurting.

thanks dabac.

you talked some sense into me.

its just that i love road bikes so much but would like to apply mtb tech to them.

oh well.

thanks for the reply!

manilacyclist said:
thanks dabac.

you talked some sense into me.

its just that i love road bikes so much but would like to apply mtb tech to them.

oh well.

thanks for the reply!
i think avid make a cable-disc set that work with road shifters. Have a look at www.avidbike.com