Mixed ability swim

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Tim, Sep 14, 2003.

  1. Tim

    Tim Guest

    Hi folks,

    I have a session once a week at lunch with work mates, the problem is the abality range is quite
    diverse, faster swimmers will catch slower after a only 75m. Any good ideas on how to keep the
    session entertaining and still provide for all swimmers?

    Thanks

    Tommy

    Tags:

  2. Tim wrote:

    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I have a session once a week at lunch with work mates, the problem is the abality range is quite
    > diverse, faster swimmers will catch slower after a only 75m. Any good ideas on how to keep the
    > session entertaining and still provide for all swimmers?

    I assume you only have one lane? There isn't much you can do in that case. You can construct a
    workout based on sets of 25m, 50m, and 75m swims and adjust the time interval as needed. The problem
    here will be that slower swimmers might not be able to stay on the intervals that are challenging
    for the faster swimmers, but I have coached this way in the past when there were a lot of swimmers
    in a 25m lane. It does help, but unfortunately there is no satisfactory solution that I know of
    short of commandeering two lanes.

    martin

    --
    Martin Smith email: [email protected] Vollsveien 9 tel. : +47 6783 1188
    P.O. Box 482 mob. : +47 932 48 303 1327 Lysaker, Norway

  3. Colin Priest

    Colin Priest Guest

    Get the better swimmers to do butterfly while the slower swimmers do freestyle. That'll soon even
    things up.

    "Tim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I have a session once a week at lunch with work mates, the problem is the abality range is quite
    > diverse, faster swimmers will catch slower after a only 75m. Any good ideas on how to keep the
    > session entertaining and
    still
    > provide for all swimmers?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Tommy

  4. Larry Burns

    Larry Burns Guest

    "Tim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I have a session once a week at lunch with work mates, the problem is the abality range is quite
    > diverse, faster swimmers will catch slower after a only 75m. Any good ideas on how to keep the
    > session entertaining and still provide for all swimmers?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Tommy

    Perhaps you could alternate endurance sets and sprint sets between the faster and slower groups, so
    that sprinters would spend more time resting and thus not obstructing lanes. Or give fast group
    Fartek sets (25 sprint, 25 active recovery. Or give fast group lots of kicking(LOL), scull
    sets...Larry

  5. De Valois

    De Valois Guest

    "Tim" left this mess on Mon, 4 Aug 2003 09:41:12 +0100 for The Way to clean up:

    >Hi folks,
    >
    >I have a session once a week at lunch with work mates, the problem is the abality range is quite
    >diverse, faster swimmers will catch slower after a only 75m. Any good ideas on how to keep the
    >session entertaining and still provide for all swimmers?

    Tommy, the one thing you haven't told us what you *have* done to improve the situation?

    Have you tried splitting the workouts between ability groups? What about reverse-stagger start so
    the slowest swimmers are hitting the water as the faster swimmers are just finishing a split?

    What have you tried already?

    Tao te Carl

    "It takes a village to have an idiot." - Carl (c) 2003

  6. Old Swimmer

    Old Swimmer Guest

    How about the old "first swimmer leaves again when last person touches" type set. Can be either 25's
    or 50's. Usually works out that the fast swimmers get lots of rest so they swim the set like speed
    work (long rest but fast pace), The slow swimmers don't get a lot of rest so it becomes more of an
    endurance set.

    Can also do a set were people swim right at the feet of the person in front. This would allow the
    slower ones to draft and keep up. Once they loose the draft the continue swimming until the are
    caught again by the lead swimmer, and then rejoin the group after a rest.

    "Tim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > I have a session once a week at lunch with work mates, the problem is the abality range is quite
    > diverse, faster swimmers will catch slower after a only 75m. Any good ideas on how to keep the
    > session entertaining and
    still
    > provide for all swimmers?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Tommy

  7. Tim

    Tim Guest

    Yes Martin.

    It's only one lane of a 25 meter pool!

  8. Colin Priest wrote:

    > Get the better swimmers to do butterfly while the slower swimmers do freestyle. That'll soon even
    > things up.

    Good idea. Some breast stroke is another possibility.

    martin

    --
    Martin Smith email: [email protected] Vollsveien 9 tel. : +47 6783 1188
    P.O. Box 482 mob. : +47 932 48 303 1327 Lysaker, Norway

  9. Tim

    Tim Guest

    Thanks for all the suggestions, It's a 'tight' lane so Chris is right, butterfly and breast are
    difficult. I'll continue to use sculling and doggy etc!

    Any other suggestions warmly welcomed

    Thanks Guys,

    "larry burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Tim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Hi folks,
    > >
    > > I have a session once a week at lunch with work mates, the problem is
    the
    > > abality range is quite diverse, faster swimmers will catch slower after
    > > only 75m. Any good ideas on how to keep the session entertaining and
    still
    > > provide for all swimmers?
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Tommy
    >
    > Perhaps you could alternate endurance sets and sprint sets between the faster and slower groups,
    > so that sprinters would spend more time resting and thus not obstructing lanes. Or give fast group
    > Fartek sets (25 sprint, 25 active recovery. Or give fast group lots of kicking(LOL), scull
    > sets...Larry

  10. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Martin W. Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Colin Priest wrote:
    > >
    > > Get the better swimmers to do butterfly while the slower swimmers do freestyle. That'll soon
    > > even things up.
    >
    > Good idea. Some breast stroke is another possibility.

    Hey, breast is my fastest stroke!

    Butterfly and breast are two strokes that don't really work well in a single lane, especially the
    narrow 25-meter pool lanes, and especially with beginners. Getting kicked by a breaststroker is the
    one thing that could actually kill you in swimming. And the butterfly pull is hard to narrow down
    when someone passes.