Mixed components, cheap, decent, on the same bike?

gt3413

Apr 28, 2006
I just bought a GT avalanche 2.0 disc. Yeah, not a 1200 dollar bike but not a super cheapo either. Its got a deore rear derailleur and an acera front derailleur. I researched its crankset, a Truvativ Isoflow from Sram and they have it listed under their "comfort bikes" section. Is this just an attempt from the manufacturer to save money on a component they might think is not as important as other components? I would figure (for what thats worth, lol) that they would build a bike with all cheap components, all mid-grade components then all high grade components. Any thoughts? Thanks, Greg

gt3413 said:
I just bought a GT avalanche 2.0 disc. Yeah, not a 1200 dollar bike but not a super cheapo either. Its got a deore rear derailleur and an acera front derailleur. I researched its crankset, a Truvativ Isoflow from Sram and they have it listed under their "comfort bikes" section. Is this just an attempt from the manufacturer to save money on a component they might think is not as important as other components? I would figure (for what thats worth, lol) that they would build a bike with all cheap components, all mid-grade components then all high grade components. Any thoughts? Thanks, Greg

Actually, think of it as a way to save the customer money. It's a way to get people started. All their Avalanche frames are the same. The price is all dependant of the components. My first bike was a low end Kona because I wasn't sure I was going to take to the trails the way I did. But it was a great frame and I upgraded components as they wore out. Your components work. Yes they are low end, but they will keep you on the trail. The more aggressive you are, the quicker they will wear. That just means the quicker you are to upgrading it to what you want. Eventually, you could have $1200 ride. That's all part of the fun of riding.

RIDE ON!
RubberSideDown

Sounds OK. I just thought that maybe they'd have all mid grade components on the same bike. But, that would cost more obviously. What you said makes sense. I'll replace what I need to as the need arises. Eventually I ought to have one heck of a bike. Thanks, Greg

At least they've got more honest about it. It used to be that they'd slap on a higher end rear derailer and put on low-end components such as hubs, bb's etc., seemingly to try and fool the consumer.

$1200 for that crappy spec is pretty bad. Especially for a hardtail. I built a 21 lb hardtail with X-9 components and Bontrager race wheels for that price.

Especially with the bike coming from the corporate sellout warehouse, I would expect a bike with specs like that for $500 or so. You gan get a Gary Fisher Marlin with those specs for $500.

triguy98 said:
$1200 for that crappy spec is pretty bad. Especially for a hardtail. I built a 21 lb hardtail with X-9 components and Bontrager race wheels for that price.

Especially with the bike coming from the corporate sellout warehouse, I would expect a bike with specs like that for $500 or so. You gan get a Gary Fisher Marlin with those specs for $500.

He said it wasn't a $1200 bike!! something like that would go for about £500 here in the UK. we get ripped off proper :(

Correct, my GT avalanche 2.0 disc retailed for $539US, I paid $489US. Thanks, Greg

That's why one of the best pieces of advice is to buy the best frame you can afford. You can always upgrade components.

So true!
I have an Australian Spec Giant Yukon which features the same frame as the XtC series. It got the 'best value for money' some time ago and it was within my pricerange so yeah. With forks, drivechain and other nessessary components, I was able to keep the overall price of this lot lower then that of the XtC-3.
By the way, i have IsoFlow cranks and they do a good job and im pretty hard on them.