Mixed Components Newbe

photogy

Apr 16, 2005
I recently bought a used bike with a mixed component group. The bike was a centurion Iron Man.

Some of the components are not labeled and I would like to determine what components to upgrade. The shifters are Soutour Power Shifters (Bar End Type). The front derauler is a Shimano 105 (two chain rings) and the rear derailer is Suntour Accushift Edge. Finally the origin of the six sprocket cassette and front chainrings are unknown.

On a budget I would like to upgrade either the casette or front chainring to allow a larger range of gears. How do I know what items are compatible with other items? Any suggestions on what to do? Do I need to change shifters in order to make other changes, etc?

If someone would point me to a site with a primer on component compatability that would be great.

Ed

photogy said:
I recently bought a used bike with a mixed component group. The bike was a centurion Iron Man.

Some of the components are not labeled and I would like to determine what components to upgrade. The shifters are Soutour Power Shifters (Bar End Type). The front derauler is a Shimano 105 (two chain rings) and the rear derailer is Suntour Accushift Edge. Finally the origin of the six sprocket cassette and front chainrings are unknown.

On a budget I would like to upgrade either the casette or front chainring to allow a larger range of gears. How do I know what items are compatible with other items? Any suggestions on what to do? Do I need to change shifters in order to make other changes, etc?

If someone would point me to a site with a primer on component compatability that would be great.

Ed
There is no book on components compatibility. It would be too big to wade thru anyway. Your chainring selection is limited to the BCD of the cranks. If 130 BCD you can use a 38 small ring. If 144 as used on alot of older stuff,the smallest would be 42 teeth. If the shifters are friction or have a friction mode you can use almost any front and rear derailer. If you put on a freewheel with bigger cogs, your main concern will be a rer derailer that has enough capacity to shift it. Most will handle a 28 cog easy enough.