mixing campy groups

Scott Harper

Guest
I am switching my bike over from 8-speed Shimano to Campy 10. I do not have the mula to go full
Record, so I want to make a hybred across Record/Chorus/Centaur. I am 6'5", 250 lbs, so weight is
not as high a priority as strength to me. Here is what I am planning on getting:

Record Braze-On Front Derailleur (not much more expensive) Centaur Rear Derailleur (much cheaper,
and carbon seems too brittle for a derailleur) Record Ergopower Levers (too pretty to pass up)
Chorus Brake Calipers (seems to be same as Record, but a little heavier) Chorus 13-29 cassette (got
to save the knees in the California hills) Record 10-speed 53 Chainring (already have 8-speed Record
cranks) Wipperman Stainless Chain (I hate special pins) Velocity Campy Wheels (already have)

Will all these choices work together? Is there anywhere where you think I should mover up or down a
group to get better performance or economy without giving much up?

Thanks, Scott Harper

Scott Harper wrote:
> I am switching my bike over from 8-speed Shimano to Campy 10. I do not have the mula to go full
> Record, so I want to make a hybred across Record/Chorus/Centaur. I am 6'5", 250 lbs, so weight is
> not as high a priority as strength to me. Here is what I am planning on getting:
>
> Record Braze-On Front Derailleur (not much more expensive) Centaur Rear Derailleur (much cheaper,
> and carbon seems too brittle for a derailleur) Record Ergopower Levers (too pretty to pass up)
> Chorus Brake Calipers (seems to be same as Record, but a little heavier) Chorus 13-29 cassette
> (got to save the knees in the California hills) Record 10-speed 53 Chainring (already have
> 8-speed Record cranks) Wipperman Stainless Chain (I hate special pins) Velocity Campy Wheels
> (already have)
>
> Will all these choices work together?

Yes.

> Is there anywhere where you think I should mover up or down a group to get better performance or
> economy without giving much up?

I was going to suggest a Centaur Front Derailleur until I noticed the Record has an "adjustable
spring". Sounds interesting! Can anyone tell us how it works and what it's used for. Does it lighten
the action? (Otherwise, Centaur is just 2 grams heavier and does the job).

~PB

scott-<< Record Braze-On Front Derailleur (not much more expensive) Centaur Rear Derailleur (much
cheaper, and carbon seems too brittle for a derailleur) Record Ergopower Levers (too pretty to pass
up) Chorus Brake Calipers (seems to be same as Record, but a little heavier) Chorus 13-29 cassette
(got to save the knees in the California hills) Record 10-speed 53 Chainring (already have 8-speed
Record cranks) Wipperman Stainless Chain (I hate special pins) Velocity Campy Wheels (already have)

Will all these choices work together? >><BR><BR>

yes=w/o problem-don't really need the chainring tho-the 8s one will work fine-

Scott-<< Is there anywhere where you think I should mover up or down a group to get better
performance or economy without giving much up? >><BR><BR>

I would use Centaur brake calipers, or even Veloce, same blocks...

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> I would use Centaur brake calipers, or even Veloce, same blocks...

I agree if going for the normal option (or even Mirage with Kool Stop pads) but Chorus does have a
"Differential" option with a single pivot rear caliper.

~PB

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> Pete-<< I agree if going for the normal option (or even Mirage with Kool Stop pads) but Chorus
> does have a "Differential" option with a single pivot rear caliper. >><BR><BR>
>
> Ya heard it here first...the differential brakes are gee-whiz and weigh less and having a rear
> single pivot is 'interesting'. But if you want good, well made brakes with great blocks and want
> to save some money-Centaur or Veloce..The differential(And I use them) are marketing 101...

I use DP front, SP rear, too. I find the combination to be a very good compromise. Less likely to
lock-up the rear brake and rear pads can be set further away from rim, yet still with the wonderful
light action of the DP where it's needed most.

Didn't splash out for Chorus Differential, though. I just use an old Avanti SP rear brake with my
Mirage DP front - both with Kool Stop Dura pads.

Does "101" mean BS? The marketing blurb might be but the actual principle is good, IMO.

~PB