Mixing Cycling Specific Clothing With Non-cycling Clothing? Dos And Don'ts?

asuewrowt

Jun 26, 2015
Would it look that stupid wearing a cycling jersey with gym shorts, like if I need to do errands and don't want to look like a spandex-superstar?

I doubt anyone really cares - I'm sure it's fine - the compromise would be mt bike shorts

asuewrowt said:
Would it look that stupid wearing a cycling jersey with gym shorts, like if I need to do errands and don't want to look like a spandex-superstar?
I wouldn't be embarrassed wearing them while ridding, but I can't see myself just wearing them walking around. Pretty much the same as what your'e saying. What I do is wear a cycling jersey and padded mt bike shorts,i'm not racing and would assume the difference in performance is marginal at best.

but the pants are so much more useful than the jersey. i wear cycle shorts with a t shirt all the time, but try to avoid jerseys altogether.

I see folk riding cycling shorts or briefs under gym shorts. But I would caution you not to ride with cotton underwear. For most of us, cotton doesn't do good things once it gets damp (and keeping it dry in warm weather doesn't happen). It bunches up and causes chafe.

If you are male and have a wife or gf, just wear what you're describing in front of them. If they don't collapse in laughter, you're ok

tarverten said:
but the pants are so much more useful than the jersey. i wear cycle shorts with a t shirt all the time, but try to avoid jerseys altogether.
I ride in the morning at like 5am and am not all sweaty because of the moisture wicking jersey. I never wore road bike specific pants(wear padded mt bike ones), do they increase performance all that much?

I rode many miles in Adidas gym shorts 35 yrs ago as I didn't know any better and was a broke student. Bibs are more comfortable if you're going to be riding any length of time, although I don't ever recall being uncomfortable with the Adidas shorts.

I often commute with bibs and a layer of wool, long or short sleeves depending on the temp. I find wool more comfortable than spandex and I use a backpack for commuting so don't need pockets. For other rides I use a regular cycling jersey with pockets.

I wore jeans and a t-shirt while riding to lunch with the kids today. And we got rained on, and I was wearing cotton underwear.

Did have wool socks though

Oh, and Five-Ten shoes, so technically it was in fact a mix of cycling-specific and normal clothing.

And on my single-speed....which happens to be a dirt-jumper too small for me to sit down on.

Rigid fork though. Style points for that. Or not.

Jersey and gym shorts is my normal get up. If I am going for a long ride- the spandex bike shorts with the butt pad go UNDER the gym shorts. My jersey of choice is the Endura Humvee - very comfortable and loose fitting. http://www.leftlanesports.com/product.aspx?p=ENU01456&a=GoogleBase&gclid=COqct5fpsMYCFYckgQodklINIg If I am doing errands or going for a book store run or something I usually have a small 20G Shimano bookbag which carries my lock and my book. And then I have room to carry more books should I choose to buy them.

If its cold weather, I skip the jersey, go with the T shirt and I go with a Castelli cycling jacket.

If I am doing errands locally, I skip the helmet and go with the old fashion cycling cap.

I have Multisport Bontrager Solstice cycling shoes so I can clip in, but the cleats are recessed and the bottoms of the shoes have grippy rubber not hard plastic...so maybe not the best for a gran fondo...but for zipping about town they are perfect...so I can walk in stores and parking lots without slipping or ruining my cycle shoes.

I can't take "hardcore" cyclists seriously fashion wise. If they wanna wear a skin suit and shave their legs, that's their business, but I am not gonna waste a second worrying what those types thing of how I dress.

NJAgent020 said:
I can't take "hardcore" cyclists seriously fashion wise. If they wanna wear a skin suit and shave their legs, that's their business, but I am not gonna waste a second worrying what those types thing of how I dress.
I laugh when people think they can buy their way into being a better cyclist. I've heard many times on tips to being faster, lose the 5-10 pounds of fat rather than spending thousands to lose a pound of the bike.