Mixing groups

Velo Serg

Jul 25, 2004
Whe else is not afraid to mix parts frim different groups? My only real demands are that the brifters are metal (105 or better) and the rear derailer is precise (105 is okay, Ultegra or D-A are better). It goes without saying that the cassette should be at least a nine speed (sora what, heck I like the SRAMs anyway). Other than that everything else is good enough for me at any level. Ir ride a double chainring so nearly any front derailer will do, and good calipers can be found outside the big two for a savings. Heck, look no furhter than the Harris Cyclery kit for inspiration, they pick from both sides of the fence with good results. With sponsorship/partnerships as prevalent as they are and pricepoint marketing I am not surprised that the matching group mentality is so widespread. Anyone else care to add their thoughts on breaking free of the distinct group level mentality?

Velo Serg said:
Whe else is not afraid to mix parts frim different groups? My only real demands are that the brifters are metal (105 or better) and the rear derailer is precise (105 is okay, Ultegra or D-A are better). It goes without saying that the cassette should be at least a nine speed (sora what, heck I like the SRAMs anyway). Other than that everything else is good enough for me at any level. Ir ride a double chainring so nearly any front derailer will do, and good calipers can be found outside the big two for a savings. Heck, look no furhter than the Harris Cyclery kit for inspiration, they pick from both sides of the fence with good results. With sponsorship/partnerships as prevalent as they are and pricepoint marketing I am not surprised that the matching group mentality is so widespread. Anyone else care to add their thoughts on breaking free of the distinct group level mentality?
So,you just figured all this out? What else is new?

boudreaux said:
So,you just figured all this out? What else is new?
Were you born knowing that? Didn't think so. Read through these very forums. How many posts ask to compare or choose from a given group? The fact that you believe yourself to be enlightened with some level of knowledge should inspire you to provide positive feedback, lest your knowledge be wasted imagining new ways to make yourself feel superior. We all end up dead, you can't win life.

I don't have a great memory, but I vaguely remember that back in the 80s we used to buy the best individual component, therefore ending up with a mixture of Shimano, Campag, Suntour, Modolo, Mavic.... whatever. I don't remember anyone back then saying that you had to have a matching
group-set. I far as I can tell, this is a relatively recent thing (10 years?), but I could be wrong.

Anyway, I'm definitely not afraid to mix things up; my bikes are a mixture of old Ultegra and Chorus. About 10 years ago, I wanted Shimano STI, but I hated the look of the Shimano cranks and brake calipers, so I got the Campag cranks and brakes because they look COOOOOL. :)

nutbag said:
I don't have a great memory, but I vaguely remember that back in the 80s we used to buy the best individual component, therefore ending up with a mixture of Shimano, Campag, Suntour, Modolo, Mavic.... whatever. I don't remember anyone back then saying that you had to have a matching
group-set.
Yeah, life was easier in the days of friction and 5 or 6 speed.

Velo Serg said:
Were you born knowing that? Didn't think so. Read through these very forums. How many posts ask to compare or choose from a given group?
Well, that's the way the stuff is packaged and marketed by the manufacturers. It makes things easeir for the newbs and poseurs that 'need' DA or Record.It's also easier for the less informed to make comparisons and decisions about component level and prices. It's often even cheaper to buy as a package. One does not have to take it as being engraved in granite tho.It does not take rocket science to understand the mixability of same speed stuff within a manufacturers lineup.start mixing makers,and things get sketchier. and FWIW, no one would waste their time trying to write the whole encyclopedia of every possible combination that can be mixed and matched,across the whole specturm of manufacturers even since 1985 and the advent of commercially successsful index shifting. Throw pre index into the mix and the book gets even bigger.

nutbag said:
group-set. I far as I can tell, this is a relatively recent thing (10 years?), but I could be wrong.

QUOTE]

In the 70's and 80's, low end to midrange bikes tended to be more heterogenious when it came to components, even from the factory. Brakes came from Weinmann, rims from Mavic, deraillers and shifters from Huret or Simplex, cranksets from TA or Stronglight, and so on... It was only towards the high end when one saw the all Campy Record bike.

These days, both Shimano and Campy make such a wide range of complete components that there really is no need to go mixing sets, unless you do it because you got a good deal, or just want to be different. Also, failure of parts on a modern road bike is quite rare, so components are not replaced as often.

Note that in the MTB world, mixed components on a bike tends to be the rule rather than the exception. I suspect this is because parts break and need replacing more often.

JohnO said:
In the 70's and 80's, low end to midrange bikes tended to be more heterogenious when it came to components, even from the factory. Brakes came from Weinmann, rims from Mavic, deraillers and shifters from Huret or Simplex, cranksets from TA or Stronglight, and so on... It was only towards the high end when one saw the all Campy Record bike.

These days, both Shimano and Campy make such a wide range of complete components that there really is no need to go mixing sets, unless you do it because you got a good deal, or just want to be different. Also, failure of parts on a modern road bike is quite rare, so components are not replaced as often.

Thanks. About eight years ago, I wondered why I was the only one rolling around with mixed components :)

I remember bike shop guys saying, "mate, these are the best cranks, and these are the best brakes, buy them", whilst often refering to different brands, so we ended up with a mix.

But then again, I always built bikes up bit by bit, rather than buying a complete new one.

boudreaux said:
Well, that's the way the stuff is packaged and marketed by the manufacturers. It makes things easeir for the newbs and poseurs that 'need' DA or Record.It's also easier for the less informed to make comparisons and decisions about component level and prices. It's often even cheaper to buy as a package. One does not have to take it as being engraved in granite tho.It does not take rocket science to understand the mixability of same speed stuff within a manufacturers lineup.start mixing makers,and things get sketchier. and FWIW, no one would waste their time trying to write the whole encyclopedia of every possible combination that can be mixed and matched,across the whole specturm of manufacturers even since 1985 and the advent of commercially successsful index shifting. Throw pre index into the mix and the book gets even bigger.
Since Shimano and to a lesser extent Campy have come to dominate the market the chances of your LBS carrying anything but are slim, especially chain biek shops. When a newer rider walks into the shop and asks what is best, the answer will be Dura Ace. People I have talked to also seem to think not having an entire group leaves a weak spot in the set-up. Some flat out don't know that one can shift a Tiagra rear derailer with a Ultegra lever, and so on.

On a side note, calling a rider a posuer does not endear our sport to those just beginning. We would do better to help and not insult.

Velo Serg said:
On a side note, calling a rider a posuer does not endear our sport to those just beginning. We would do better to help and not insult.
If the hat don't fit,don't wear it.