Mixing Individual Cassette Cog Thoughts Questions

Barbara L

Guest
I want to play around and experiment with customizing my shimano cassettes.
I've got several 9 shimano cassettes both DA & ultegra lying around all in
good shape so wear isn't an issue & I don't want to buy another cassette or
suffer a weight penalty over what I have now by much. I seem to have
accumulated 12-25, 12-27, 11-23, 11-12 & 12-23 around some more than 1.

I've seen where one can get individual Miche cogs in the higher cogs. Can
these be used to replace the upper 2 or 3 cogs in a shimano 9 or does one
have to buy a complete Miche cassette & then substitute out with their cogs?
I'm not familiar with Miche & wonder how their weight is compare to shimano.

I've seen where both SRAM & Miche make the cassette I'm looking for but the
SRAM seems heavy. Or could I get it & swap out the ones I need & mix it in
the shimano?

I got 2 different bikes with 9 speed one with 700c & the other with 650
where I like the 11t but don't need it on the 700c. I generally run a 11-25
(650) or a 12-25 (700). I have a 12-27 and don't like it so I don't want to
waste money on another whole cassette. I'd prefer to have the last 3 be a
21-23-26 or something. I'd like to play around with it from about the 17 on.

Also I have another bike set up with 2 11-25 in 10 speed, one for training
in ultegra & 1 in DA for racing. Could I also play around with Miche or ??
10 speed cogs for it.

Thanks for your input.

Barb

Barbara L wrote:
> I want to play around and experiment with customizing my shimano cassettes.
> I've got several 9 shimano cassettes both DA & ultegra lying around all in
> good shape so wear isn't an issue & I don't want to buy another cassette or
> suffer a weight penalty over what I have now by much. I seem to have
> accumulated 12-25, 12-27, 11-23, 11-12 & 12-23 around some more than 1.

Sram weighs 30-50g more. That's a half sip of water, not a weight
penalty. They're cheaper, more durable, and shift as good as or better
than Shimano kit, in my biased opinion.

Can you mix brands? Sure. Don't assemble the cassette off the wheel, as
whatever retaining holes the brands have will differ. Just use 9spd
cogs and spacers and build up directly on the freehub.

Forgot to mention, different brands of spacers sometimes have little
plastic tabs sticking out that won't engage with other brands. Just
slice them off with a razor or utility knife.