Mixing Ultegra and MTB cassette

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bert Smith, Apr 17, 2003.

  1. Bert Smith

    Bert Smith Guest

    Does anyone know if you can put a 9spd Shimano Derore/XT/XTR casssette onto a road bike with Ultegra
    running gear and have the STI shifters still work correctly?

    Current setup is all Ultegra, with a 52/39 at the front, and a 12-27 at the rear. I want to put a
    12-34 on the rear to help me get up the hills - apparently my bike (a Giant FCR1) won't take a
    triple at the front very easily. Hence changing the cassette. But will an XTR casset fit
    (splines, width), and, once I have swapped to a long cage rear mech, will the indexing from the
    drops still work?

    Tags:

  2. berite-<< Does anyone know if you can put a 9spd Shimano Derore/XT/XTR casssette onto a road bike
    with Ultegra running gear and have the STI shifters still work correctly? << Current setup is all
    Ultegra, with a 52/39 at the front, and a 12-27 at the rear. I want to put a 12-34 on the rear to
    help me get up the hills

    Put on a shimano MTB rear der, like an XT, and it will work fine-

    << But will an XTR casset fit (splines, width), and, once I have swapped to a long cage rear mech,
    will the indexing from the drops still work?

    Yep-

  3. David Storm

    David Storm Guest

    Yes. Done all the time. As a matter of fact, my new T2000 Cannondale touring bike came equipped that
    way...Ultegra 9-speed STI shifters and XTR derailleur with Derore cassette.

    "Bert Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone know if you can put a 9spd Shimano Derore/XT/XTR casssette onto a road bike with
    > Ultegra running gear and have the STI shifters still work correctly?
    >
    > Current setup is all Ultegra, with a 52/39 at the front, and a 12-27 at the rear. I want to put a
    > 12-34 on the rear to help me get up the hills - apparently my bike (a Giant FCR1) won't take a
    > triple at the front very easily. Hence changing the cassette. But will an XTR casset fit
    > (splines, width), and, once I have swapped to a long cage rear mech, will the indexing from the
    > drops still work?

  4. "Bert Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Does anyone know if you can put a 9spd Shimano Derore/XT/XTR casssette onto a road bike with
    > Ultegra running gear and have the STI shifters still work correctly?
    >
    > Current setup is all Ultegra, with a 52/39 at the front, and a 12-27 at the rear. I want to put a
    > 12-34 on the rear to help me get up the hills - apparently my bike (a Giant FCR1) won't take a
    > triple at the front very easily. Hence changing the cassette. But will an XTR casset fit
    > (splines, width), and, once I have swapped to a long cage rear mech, will the indexing from the
    > drops still work?

    You are wanting to do exactly what I have done on my Colnago. I used an XT rear der and cassette
    (less expensive than XTR) and it works perfectly. The shifting is not quite as precise as with a
    road der/cogset and the spacing between the rear ratios is a tad wider, but it works fine. It really
    helps me to grind up the many hills around where I live.