Mixing Ultegra and MTB cassette

Bert Smith

Guest
Does anyone know if you can put a 9spd Shimano Derore/XT/XTR casssette onto a road bike with Ultegra
running gear and have the STI shifters still work correctly?

Current setup is all Ultegra, with a 52/39 at the front, and a 12-27 at the rear. I want to put a
12-34 on the rear to help me get up the hills - apparently my bike (a Giant FCR1) won't take a
triple at the front very easily. Hence changing the cassette. But will an XTR casset fit
(splines, width), and, once I have swapped to a long cage rear mech, will the indexing from the
drops still work?

berite-<< Does anyone know if you can put a 9spd Shimano Derore/XT/XTR casssette onto a road bike
with Ultegra running gear and have the STI shifters still work correctly? << Current setup is all
Ultegra, with a 52/39 at the front, and a 12-27 at the rear. I want to put a 12-34 on the rear to
help me get up the hills

Put on a shimano MTB rear der, like an XT, and it will work fine-

<< But will an XTR casset fit (splines, width), and, once I have swapped to a long cage rear mech,
will the indexing from the drops still work?

Yep-

Yes. Done all the time. As a matter of fact, my new T2000 Cannondale touring bike came equipped that
way...Ultegra 9-speed STI shifters and XTR derailleur with Derore cassette.

"Bert Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does anyone know if you can put a 9spd Shimano Derore/XT/XTR casssette onto a road bike with
> Ultegra running gear and have the STI shifters still work correctly?
>
> Current setup is all Ultegra, with a 52/39 at the front, and a 12-27 at the rear. I want to put a
> 12-34 on the rear to help me get up the hills - apparently my bike (a Giant FCR1) won't take a
> triple at the front very easily. Hence changing the cassette. But will an XTR casset fit
> (splines, width), and, once I have swapped to a long cage rear mech, will the indexing from the
> drops still work?

"Bert Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does anyone know if you can put a 9spd Shimano Derore/XT/XTR casssette onto a road bike with
> Ultegra running gear and have the STI shifters still work correctly?
>
> Current setup is all Ultegra, with a 52/39 at the front, and a 12-27 at the rear. I want to put a
> 12-34 on the rear to help me get up the hills - apparently my bike (a Giant FCR1) won't take a
> triple at the front very easily. Hence changing the cassette. But will an XTR casset fit
> (splines, width), and, once I have swapped to a long cage rear mech, will the indexing from the
> drops still work?

You are wanting to do exactly what I have done on my Colnago. I used an XT rear der and cassette
(less expensive than XTR) and it works perfectly. The shifting is not quite as precise as with a
road der/cogset and the spacing between the rear ratios is a tad wider, but it works fine. It really
helps me to grind up the many hills around where I live.