Mixing Wheelsets

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jim Vidler, Jun 21, 2003.

  1. Jim Vidler

    Jim Vidler Guest

    I just cleaned up a bike for a friend, it's kind of a Franken-bike. It's an older LeMond frame with
    everything from a C-record rear derailleur to Shimano 105 brake levers and Mavic calipers.

    Anyway, I gave her a Mavic Cosmos front wheel that I was not using but used her old Campy skewer.
    The rear wheel is a Campy hub and rim 32 spoke with 8 speed cassette.

    Is there anything that could be wrong with what I did? Her husband, not a mechanic by any standard,
    refused to put the wheel on her bike saying you can't mix wheelsets. This seems so odd to me that I
    must confess I have never even thought about it with the exception of knowing spacing has changed a
    little over the years, especially for the rears, but I did'nt think this bike was old enough to
    worry about that.

    After I started thinkaing about I know bike have 650 fronts with 700 rears or they used to run the
    disc wheels with radial laced fronts, etc.

    -Jim Vidler

    Tags:

  2. Marcus Coles

    Marcus Coles Guest

    Jim Vidler wrote:
    > I just cleaned up a bike for a friend, it's kind of a Franken-bike. It's an older LeMond frame
    > with everything from a C-record rear derailleur to Shimano 105 brake levers and Mavic calipers.
    >
    > Anyway, I gave her a Mavic Cosmos front wheel that I was not using but used her old Campy skewer.
    > The rear wheel is a Campy hub and rim 32 spoke with 8 speed cassette.
    >
    > Is there anything that could be wrong with what I did? Her husband, not a mechanic by any
    > standard, refused to put the wheel on her bike saying you can't mix wheelsets. This seems so odd
    > to me that I must confess I have never even thought about it with the exception of knowing spacing
    > has changed a little over the years, especially for the rears, but I did'nt think this bike was
    > old enough to worry about that.
    >
    > After I started thinkaing about I know bike have 650 fronts with 700 rears or they used to run the
    > disc wheels with radial laced fronts, etc.
    >
    > -Jim Vidler

    The bike I was riding today has an Ultegra front hub with a Campy rim and a Campy rear hub and Nisi
    rim. Luckily I made back alive.

    If the rims are both the same size and the tires are close it will work just fine.

    Rims with poorly co-ordinated colours can create problems in some groups though.

    Marcus

  3. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "Jim Vidler" <none> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I just cleaned up a bike for a friend, it's kind of a Franken-bike. It's
    an
    > older LeMond frame with everything from a C-record rear derailleur to Shimano 105 brake levers and
    > Mavic calipers.
    >
    > Anyway, I gave her a Mavic Cosmos front wheel that I was not using but
    used
    > her old Campy skewer. The rear wheel is a Campy hub and rim 32 spoke with
    8
    > speed cassette.
    >
    > Is there anything that could be wrong with what I did? Her husband, not a mechanic by any
    > standard, refused to put the wheel on her bike saying you can't mix wheelsets. This seems so odd
    > to me that I must confess I have never even thought about it with the exception of knowing spacing
    > has changed a little over the years, especially for the rears, but I did'nt think this bike was
    > old enough to worry about that.
    >
    > After I started thinkaing about I know bike have 650 fronts with 700 rears or they used to run the
    > disc wheels with radial laced fronts, etc.
    >
    > -Jim Vidler

    I'm running a Mavic front rim, fairly standard wheel, with a FIR Superrialto deep dish rear wheel
    with carbon fiber hub. My wheels haven't exploded yet, but if I take them out of hte QRs they do
    have a tendency to attack each other. In other words, don't worry about it. Hell, if this was true,
    you'd never see a mountain bike with front discs only, or wheelsets with just a full rear disk, etc.

    Jon Bond

  4. Us

    Us Guest

    yeah my old matrix titan II built with campy athena will just not play nice with my new Mavic open
    pro black on Ultegra 9. You think that she's jealous? I just have to keep the two separated and the
    rear has to wear a chain... <G>

    Jon Bond wrote:

    > "Jim Vidler" <none> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>I just cleaned up a bike for a friend, it's kind of a Franken-bike. It's
    >
    > an
    >
    >>older LeMond frame with everything from a C-record rear derailleur to Shimano 105 brake levers and
    >>Mavic calipers.
    >>
    >>Anyway, I gave her a Mavic Cosmos front wheel that I was not using but
    >
    > used
    >
    >>her old Campy skewer. The rear wheel is a Campy hub and rim 32 spoke with
    >
    > 8
    >
    >>speed cassette.
    >>
    >>Is there anything that could be wrong with what I did? Her husband, not a mechanic by any
    >>standard, refused to put the wheel on her bike saying you can't mix wheelsets. This seems so odd
    >>to me that I must confess I have never even thought about it with the exception of knowing spacing
    >>has changed a little over the years, especially for the rears, but I did'nt think this bike was
    >>old enough to worry about that.
    >>
    >>After I started thinkaing about I know bike have 650 fronts with 700 rears or they used to run the
    >>disc wheels with radial laced fronts, etc.
    >>
    >>-Jim Vidler
    >

    > I'm running a Mavic front rim, fairly standard wheel, with a FIR Superrialto deep dish rear wheel
    > with carbon fiber hub. My wheels haven't exploded yet, but if I take them out of hte QRs they do
    > have a tendency to attack each other. In other words, don't worry about it. Hell, if this was
    > true, you'd never see a mountain bike with front discs only, or wheelsets with just a full rear
    > disk, etc.
    >
    > Jon Bond

  5. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    "Jim Vidler" <none> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I just cleaned up a bike for a friend, it's kind of a Franken-bike. It's an older LeMond frame
    > with everything from a C-record rear derailleur to Shimano 105 brake levers and Mavic calipers.
    >
    > Anyway, I gave her a Mavic Cosmos front wheel that I was not using but used her old Campy skewer.
    > The rear wheel is a Campy hub and rim 32 spoke with 8 speed cassette.
    >
    > Is there anything that could be wrong with what I did? Her husband, not a mechanic by any
    > standard, refused to put the wheel on her bike saying you can't mix wheelsets.

    Completely untrue. That's about the silliest thing I've heard in 25 years of professional and
    semi-professional bike repair.

    As long as the wheels are round, true, fit the frame, and appropriate for the rider and intended
    use, it won't matter if one is a Campy Ghibli and the other is a Wal-Mart special... it should
    work fine.

    Jeff

  6. In article <[email protected]>, none says...

    >I just cleaned up a bike for a friend, it's kind of a Franken-bike. It's an older LeMond frame with
    >everything from a C-record rear derailleur to Shimano 105 brake levers and Mavic calipers.
    >
    >Anyway, I gave her a Mavic Cosmos front wheel that I was not using but used her old Campy skewer.
    >The rear wheel is a Campy hub and rim 32 spoke with 8 speed cassette.
    >
    >Is there anything that could be wrong with what I did? Her husband, not a mechanic by any standard,
    >refused to put the wheel on her bike saying you can't mix wheelsets. This seems so odd to me that I
    >must confess I have never even thought about it with the exception of knowing spacing has changed a
    >little over the years, especially for the rears, but I did'nt think this bike was old enough to
    >worry about that.
    >
    >After I started thinkaing about I know bike have 650 fronts with 700 rears or they used to run the
    >disc wheels with radial laced fronts, etc.

    Nothing wrong with mixing wheels.
    --------------
    Alex

  7. On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 19:36:15 -0700, "Jim Vidler" <none> wrote:

    >Is there anything that could be wrong with what I did? Her husband, not a mechanic by any standard,
    >refused to put the wheel on her bike saying you can't mix wheelsets.

    No problem! If the wheel is the proper size and style to fit the brakes, the hub width is correct,
    and the tire clears the frame, the bike has no idea what brand the wheel is. <G>

    The only problem could be cosmetic.

    Several of my bikes have mixed wheelsets, as I've damaged wheels in the past and replaced only
    one of them.

    Barry

  8. Jim-<< Anyway, I gave her a Mavic Cosmos front wheel that I was not using but used her old Campy
    skewer. The rear wheel is a Campy hub and rim 32 spoke with 8 speed cassette. >><BR><BR> << Is there
    anything that could be wrong with what I did? Her husband, not a mechanic by any standard, refused
    to put the wheel on her bike saying you can't mix wheelsets. >><BR><BR>

    Sure you can, people do it everyday w/o any problem.

  9. Andresmuro

    Andresmuro Guest

    ><< Is there anything that could be wrong with what I did? Her husband, not amechanic by any
    >standard, refused to put the wheel on her bike saying youcan't mix wheelsets. >>

    I think that she needs to tell her husband to stick to_______________

  10. Jamie

    Jamie Guest

    The problem is that you gave her the wheel ???? I you would have charged her he would not thought
    nothing about it??? Some guys don't like other guy giving there wife stuff.
    Ps the dude doesn't a thing about bikes he's jealous of her friends that do .

    --
    J/O Trailblazer At large !!

  11. On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 19:36:15 -0700, Jim Vidler wrote:

    > I just cleaned up a bike for a friend, it's kind of a Franken-bike. It's an older LeMond frame
    > with everything from a C-record rear derailleur to Shimano 105 brake levers and Mavic calipers.
    >
    > Anyway, I gave her a Mavic Cosmos front wheel that I was not using but used her old Campy skewer.
    > The rear wheel is a Campy hub and rim 32 spoke with 8 speed cassette.
    >
    > Is there anything that could be wrong with what I did? Her husband, not a mechanic by any
    > standard, refused to put the wheel on her bike saying you can't mix wheelsets. This seems so odd
    > to me that I must confess I have never even thought about it with the exception of knowing spacing
    > has changed a little over the years, especially for the rears, but I did'nt think this bike was
    > old enough to worry about that.
    >
    > After I started thinkaing about I know bike have 650 fronts with 700 rears or they used to run the
    > disc wheels with radial laced fronts, etc.
    >
    > -Jim Vidler

    Being a mechanic he must have been thinking of mixing radial and bias ply tires......

  12. Dianne_1234

    Dianne_1234 Guest

    "Jim Vidler" <none> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I just cleaned up a bike for a friend, it's kind of a Franken-bike. It's an older LeMond frame
    > with everything from a C-record rear derailleur to Shimano 105 brake levers and Mavic calipers.
    >
    > Anyway, I gave her a Mavic Cosmos front wheel that I was not using but used her old Campy skewer.
    > The rear wheel is a Campy hub and rim 32 spoke with 8 speed cassette.
    >
    > Is there anything that could be wrong with what I did? Her husband, not a mechanic by any
    > standard, refused to put the wheel on her bike saying you can't mix wheelsets. This seems so odd
    > to me that I must confess I have never even thought about it with the exception of knowing spacing
    > has changed a little over the years, especially for the rears, but I did'nt think this bike was
    > old enough to worry about that.
    >
    > After I started thinkaing about I know bike have 650 fronts with 700 rears or they used to run the
    > disc wheels with radial laced fronts, etc.
    >
    > -Jim Vidler

    Is it possible he's not worried at all about mixing wheels, but about you giving stuff to
    his wife? ;-)

  13. On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 19:36:15 -0700, Jim Vidler wrote:

    > Is there anything that could be wrong with what I did? Her husband, not a mechanic by any
    > standard, refused to put the wheel on her bike saying you can't mix wheelsets. This seems so odd
    > to me that I must confess I have never even thought about it

    Ah, but if you put a low flange hub on the front and a high flange hub on the rear, the increased
    rotational inertia (a pound on the wheel weighs two pounds, right?) will keep the rear moving
    forward when the front stops, causing the rider to endo ...

    If nothing else, this story points out why grouches hate the word "wheelset." (I forget if it's
    Jobst or Peter Chisholm who has vented about it in this venue.) My apologies to them for thinking it
    was just a language purity issue!

  14. "Jamie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > The problem is that you gave her the wheel ???? I you would have charged
    her
    > he would not thought nothing about it??? Some guys don't like other guy giving there wife stuff.
    > Ps the dude doesn't a thing about bikes he's jealous of her friends that
    do

    Yeah dude... Jamie is right. I just watched Old School and this is just like it. Invite her out to
    dinner next and then a cup of coffee afterwards in your bedroom. We'll coach you through this one,
    don't worry. Just come back to report what happens. If you don't return, we'll watch the obits.
    Good luck!

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  15. Walter Mitty

    Walter Mitty Guest

    [email protected] (AndresMuro) brightened my day with his incisive wit when in
    news:[email protected] he conjectured that:

    >><< Is there anything that could be wrong with what I did? Her husband, not amechanic by any
    >>standard, refused to put the wheel on her bike saying youcan't mix wheelsets. >>
    >
    > I think that she needs to tell her husband to stick to_______________

    What about braking friction being different on two different rims?

    --
    Walter Mitty.

  16. Last count, my bike was fitted with seven diferent makes representing five different countries. It
    runs fine. I doubt any possible sponsors would like it though...

  17. ..Just don't put BioPace rings on a Campy crankset (It would break their promise!) ;-3)

  18. Walter Mitty

    Walter Mitty Guest

    [email protected] (AndresMuro) brightened my day with his incisive wit when in
    news:[email protected] he conjectured that:

    >>What about braking friction being different on two different rims?
    >>
    > If your statement is literal:
    >
    > To solve this problem she needs to get different brand of brakes, say campagnolo in the front and
    > shimano in the rear.
    >
    > If your statement is allegorical, you can interpret it in many ways:
    >
    > If she wants to reduce friction with her husband, she needs to listen to him and not mix wheels.
    > If she wants to increase friction with her husband, she still needs to listen to him and not mix
    > wheels (if you know what I mean ;-)
    >
    > Andres

    No - it was literal.

    Since people rarely (?) have different brake blocks then if they had different rims then they would
    have different breaking characteristics on front & rear.. If they don't have good "tactile response"
    then I would suggest that having different rims is not a good idea.

    I'd go further to suggest that matching breaks to rims to equate the front & rear might be
    quite tricky.

    I guess I'm being quietly devils advocate, but primararily because I feel the original "husband" got
    a raw deal in the original responses.

    --
    Walter Mitty.

  19. Walter Mitty <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Since people rarely (?) have different brake blocks then if they had different rims then they
    > would have different breaking characteristics on front & rear.. If they don't have good "tactile
    > response" then I would suggest that having different rims is not a good idea.

    > I'd go further to suggest that matching breaks to rims to equate the front & rear might be
    > quite tricky.

    The front brake does way more work than the rear because the weight shifts to the front on braking;
    any decent brake can make the rear skid. There is no hope of equating the braking response (unless
    you make the front brake like crap, but why?) It is a non-issue. You can Google the archives of
    this group for reams of argument about which hand should control the front brake and whether the
    rear brake is useful except if the front fails, but it all starts with the truth that the front is
    more powerful.

    > I guess I'm being quietly devils advocate, but primararily because I feel the original "husband"
    > got a raw deal in the original responses.

    Sorry. If correctly reported, he was off base.

  20. In article <[email protected]>, AndresMuro wrote:
    > Walter:
    >
    > Here is my serious literal response.

    [snip]

    > If I blindfolded someone and ask them if they could tell which wheel he was riding and if the
    > front and read were the same or different, they would not be able to tell.

    Possibly they wouldn't be able to ride far enough to tell...

    AC

    --
    Using Linux GNU/Debian - Windows-free zone http://www.acampbell.org.uk (book reviews and articles)
    Email: replace "www." with "[email protected]"