Mixte frame project bike??s

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Bill B, Mar 17, 2003.

  1. Bill B

    Bill B Guest

    This morning I rescued a Schwinn Mixte bike parked by the garbage cans.I brought the bike home,
    aired up the tires and took it for a spin around the block. Aside from tire rot the bike is in
    pretty good shape. I'm half way tempted to make it into a big wheeled bent like the no weld bent
    that was discussed here recently. Can any one direct me to any pics of such a animal

    Tags:

  2. Tom Blum

    Tom Blum Guest

    Bill B writes "This morning I rescued a Schwinn Mixte bike parked by the garbage cans.I brought the
    bike home, aired up the tires and took it for a spin around the block. Aside from tire rot the bike
    is in pretty good shape. I'm half way tempted to make it into a big wheeled bent like the no weld
    bent that was discussed here recently. Can any one direct me to any pics of such a animal"

    Mark, at Poweron Cycling built two bents, starting with what looks like Nixte frames. His have some
    brazing on, though. Pictures at http://www.poweroncycling.com/

    --
    Miles of Smiles,

    Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone

    www.gate.net/~teblum

  3. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "Bill B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > This morning I rescued a Schwinn Mixte bike parked by the garbage cans.I brought the bike home,
    > aired up the tires and took it for a spin around the block. Aside from tire rot the bike is in
    > pretty good shape. I'm half way tempted to make it into a big wheeled bent like the no weld bent
    > that was discussed here recently. Can any one direct me to any pics of such a animal

    Hey Bill,

    Here are photos of "The Bull" no-weld FWD bent. Now, I'm warning you, it got its name for a reason!

    http://bsanders.net/The_Bull_FWD_recumbent.jpg

    http://bsanders.net/The_Bull_drivetrain.jpg

    The front triangle was from a crappy old Schwinn road bike (hi-ten). The seat base is from a
    discarded rowing machine, and it is supported by two old threadless MTB stems clamped to the frame
    tubing. The seatback is actually a seatpost-mounted rear cargo rack clamped to the frame.

    The only part of this bike that isn't from scrapped bikes is the eyebolt and clevis pin that
    skewers the fork and holds the former seat tube snugly against it. All I did was drill a 1/4" hole
    through the former seat tube, and run a 1/4" clevis pin through the eye of the 3.5" long steel
    eyebolt, and bolt it down. I also mitered the ex-seat-tube with a cheap angle grinder; but you
    don't have to do that.

    The bike steers like hell; but it might give you some ideas.

    Have fun!

    Barry

  4. John W

    John W Guest

    Here's a homebuilt from a mixte frame. http://www.halcyon.com/peterson/wb.html

    "Bill B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > This morning I rescued a Schwinn Mixte bike parked by the garbage cans.I brought the bike home,
    > aired up the tires and took it for a spin around the block. Aside from tire rot the bike is in
    > pretty good shape. I'm half way tempted to make it into a big wheeled bent like the no weld bent
    > that was discussed here recently. Can any one direct me to any pics of such a animal

  5. Dax

    Dax Guest

    On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 14:30:20 -0600, "John W" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Here's a homebuilt from a mixte frame. http://www.halcyon.com/peterson/wb.html
    >

    >"Bill B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> This morning I rescued a Schwinn Mixte bike parked by the garbage cans.I brought the bike home,
    >> aired up the tires and took it for a spin around the block. Aside from tire rot the bike is in
    >> pretty good shape. I'm half way tempted to make it into a big wheeled bent like the no weld bent
    >> that was discussed here recently. Can any one direct me to any pics of such a animal

    now THAT is ugly - but hey, if it works............ - Ъ×