Miyata 610 wheel replacement recommendations 27 x1 1/4 sealed hub 36 spokes

Discussion in 'Touring and recreational cycling' started by toddk, Jul 13, 2017.

1. toddk

toddk New Member

Have an original 1983 Miyata 610 with the original sealed hub wheels. Have had to replace a few spokes over the years and the wheel has remained fairly straight. Recently started to wobble and will true it up.
    Is there an average lifespan for a wheel? Is it worth considering replacing after all these years? The model I have has 36 spokes. The marketing manual says rear wheels have 40 spokes. Not sure how I ended up with 36 on the back. Not been an issue even when loaded during bike touring.
    I have loved the sealed hubs. For me they were seemed almost maintenance free and worked year after year.
    Any suggestions for a good equivalent replacement?

2. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

First, bicycle wheels do have a finite life span ... it depends on the rider (technique & total rider-bike weight) & road conditions ...

The rim's "brake surface" can wear thin and thereby weaken the rim.

If, by chance, you only replaced the rear brake pads one time, then you can measure the width of the rear rim's brake surface and compare it to the width of the front rim's brake surface to gauge the amount of wear on the front rim ...

If the difference is more than 1.0mm then (presuming the front & rear rim are the same model, of course) the front rim is probably near-or-past it's realistic life span.​

Second, the term "sealed" isn't clearly defined ...

Unless your wheels have Phil Woods hubs then I would guess that in 1983 the term "sealed" simply meant that there is a cap shrouding the bearings ...​

What kind (as in "brand") of hubs does your bike have?

As far as the number of spokes, 40 spoke rear wheels were not uncommon BEFORE 1970 on some bikes & were commonly paired with a 28 spoke front wheel when the spokes were little more than glorified coat hangers instead of being made from stainless steel wire.

If by chance you have only replaced the rear brake pads on your

FWIW. If I were you then I would probably use this occasion to switch to 700c wheels and tires ...

700x32 tires are essentially the same circumference as 27x1.25" tires.​

You can either have your hubs re-laced with the fore mentioned 700c rims ((I recommend 622-17 if your preference is for a touring wheelset) or have new rims laced to a Shimano Shimano/-compatible Freehub ...

Shimano made a "compact" version of their Freehub body which was specifically designed for a 7-speed Cassette ...

An 8-speed Shimano/-compatible Cassette can be short stacked and used as a 7-speed Cassette with an 8-speed indexed shifter ...

A 9-speed Shimano/-compatible Cassette can be short stacked and used as an 8-speed Cassette in tandem with a 9-speed indexed shifter (Shimano OR MicroShift) ...

With only a modest amount of effort, you could cobble together a rear wheel with a Shimano Freehub-type rear hub which will fit in your frame's 126mm dropouts.​

I believe that 7-speed Cassettes and Freewheels had the same Cog spacing as the SunTour ULTRA Freewheels ...

Just as the 6-speed Ultra Freewheel fits in the space of a traditional 5-speed Freewheel, the 7-speed (Ultra) fits in the space of a standard 6-speed Freewheel ...​

The 8-speed Shimano chain is basically a clone of the SEDIS NARROW chain and can be used with 6-/7-/8-speed Freewheels and Cassettes.

7-speed Cassettes and Freewheels have the same Cog spacing as 8-speed Cassettes; so, that means that you could easily update your bike with indexed shifters.

Almost ALL recent Freewheels (SunRace) and Cassettes (all brands) have RAMPED Cogs which make shifting smoother & allows for some wiggle-room in the adjustment of the indexing.​

BTW. I recommend Campagnolo shifters . Campagnolo shifters can be used with almost ANY cable actuated front derailleur AND the 10-speed Campagnolo shifter can be indexed with 8-speed (and, therefore 7-speed) and 9-speed Shimano Cassettes & rear derailleurs AND (of course) 10-speed Campagnolo Cassettes and rear derailleurs.

I do not know whether-or-not SunTour rear derailleurs can be used with any indexed shifters.​