Miyata 914se worth anything?

Maybe its a miyata pro frame ? What is the difference between a 914 and 914se ive ridden the bike about 200 miles so far and i cant seem to get use to the riding position it offers feels a little too race like or i always have to be leaning forward like im on a supersport motorcycle also this bike looks to wrap in white rubber wrap im kinda nervouse to peel it off

I have two Miyata's, a Team and a 712, both have the same Miyata Spline triple butted tubeset, and they both ride aggressively, meaning they are for racing and they do ride harsher, they also both have fast steering which some people say it's twitchy.

If the bike is covered in some sort of rubber wrap then go ahead and peel it off, as long as that wrap is on the bike is worthless, and peeling if off may review that the bike is a 914SE, it could review the frame is rusted, or review it to be an excellent shape. There is a rubberize stuff that can be applied to metal that some people did to protect the paint from scratching and other damage, but they also did it to cover up rust, I would try to peel it off, start with the fork if it looks to bad or rusted after it's off then leave the frame alone, at that point the bike would be worthless to sell.

... i cant seem to get use to the riding position it offers feels a little too race like or i always have to be leaning forward like im on a supersport motorcycle ...
OMG!?!

Why-oh-why do you think that moving the components from your Miyata to any Carbon Fiber frame would give you a different riding position?!?

What size frame were you thinking of getting?

What are the measurements of your Miyata's frame?

How long is the stem (c-c) on your Miyata?

It looks like it is ~120mm long ... that will possibly be the length you end up using after you log a few more months of riding; but, it may be too long for you if you are closer to being a newbie Road rider!​
What is the width of the handlebars (c-c) at the ends AND where the brake levers are mounted?​
Sure, you could get a frame which many would now consider to be too large for a rider who is of an equivalent height to however tall you are (based on the way the bike is set up) ... it isn't set up THAT aggressively, IMO ...

How tall are you?

Were your previous bikes MTBs and/or Hybrids?

You can put a DIFFERENT (i.e., shorter ... try a 90mm ... measure the Outer Diameter of handlebar's center section & the steerer's size [there is probably a shim which allows a stem which is intended for a 1 1/8" steerer to be used with a fork which has a 1" steerer] AND buy the least expensive 90mm stem you can track down off of eBay or from you LBS ... ) stem on the bike ...

You can also put a different handlebar on the bike AND that will affect how it feels ...

Those bars have a really deep drop, BTW ...

Nothing wrong with THAT; but, the deep drop may make those handlebars unusable for you (some people rarely-or-NEVER use the Drops on their Road bikes, BTW).
A narrower handlebar may be more comfortable for you ...

Having a wider handlebar has the same effect as having a longer stem ... and, vice-versa.
Changing EITHER-or-BOTH the stem and/or handlebar will affect the way the bike feels to you ....

REGARDLESS, you should figure out how to make THE bike you have (this is true for everyone, IMO!) feel right to you before you pony up for either a new frame or a new bike ...​
BTW. I'm an inquiring mind ...

Is there a clover leaf on each of the fork's shoulders OR is another emblem cast in the fork's shoulders OR are they smooth?

Looking at the pic of the chainstay/BB area, it appears to have been repainted...with drips, runs and missed areas.

It's 25 years old.

I bid one mirrion dorrahs.

Well ive been riding it almost daily cleaned the heck out of it and learning how to adjust the bike to my likings and wow is all i can say, this thing ,i didnt even know how to use the shifters correctly at first but this is a monster in its own class im sorry i ever doubted this bike

One night after reading about the groupset i thought its about time i take it apart to clean ,i took the group set off spent countless hours with a toothbrush and wd40 then there it was all by itself......... a monster in its own class the frame was ,i can glady say less than 5lbs yes Less than 5 lbs ( 4.xx ) lbs also this is indeed a 914se pics will be coming soon watch out

LOL, see, that is a great bike. My lightest Miyata weighs 21.1 that's the Team one I have, the other is far off at 21.8 for the 712, but both use the same frame and fork just the components are different.

That spiral tubing makes for a very stiff bike from side to side compared to other steel bikes, that is where most of the power is lost when you crank hard on it. You probably experienced this but the bike feels like it's surging when you crank it.

Im not sure if the 914se is based on the same frame as the 914 nor is it tripple butted can someone confirm this i read somewhere it is double butted like a columbus bike which i still dont kno what butted means

I thought it was the end of each tubing or where the tubing meets the seat can someone inform me the difference thank you

LOL, see, that is a great bike. My lightest Miyata weighs 21.1 that's the Team one I have, the other is far off at 21.8 for the 712, but both use the same frame and fork just the components are different.

That spiral tubing makes for a very stiff bike from side to side compared to other steel bikes, that is where most of the power is lost when you crank hard on it. You probably experienced this but the bike feels like it's surging when you crank it.
I dont know what surging means but i think i want a stiffer bike or this bike is too light for how rigid it is how much psi are you suppose have i feel like i slow down really fast when i stopped pedaling because the tire pressure /weight of bike momentum u could call it ....it does take alot to push the bike to a greater speed also it loses its rigidy at great speeds does this mean i want something more stiff or more weight on this bike

I dont know what surging means but i think i want a stiffer bike or this bike is too light for how rigid it is how much psi are you suppose have i feel like i slow down really fast when i stopped pedaling because the tire pressure /weight of bike momentum u could call it ....it does take alot to push the bike to a greater speed also it loses its rigidy at great speeds does this mean i want something more stiff or more weight on this bike

There is something wrong with your bike, either the wheels (including hubs), tires, fork (or maybe headset), or the frame. I've had no issues going down mountain roads on my Team bike at speeds exceeding 50 mph. Any bike at 21 to 22 pound range like the Miyata's is not going to slow down going down hills, in fact it will gain speed, so there is something wrong with your bike that's causing friction and slowing down the bike and I can bet you it's not the frame.

The tires should have about 100 psi the rear and 90 in the front depending on your body weight however, but that would be a good average.

You want something stiff and unforgiving then get a fat tube aluminum racing bike...but that bike will probably be a bit lighter than the Miyata.

I have two Miyata's, a Team and a 712, both have the same Miyata Spline triple butted tubeset, and they both ride aggressively, meaning they are for racing and they do ride harsher, they also both have fast steering which some people say it's twitchy.

If the bike is covered in some sort of rubber wrap then go ahead and peel it off, as long as that wrap is on the bike is worthless, and peeling if off may review that the bike is a 914SE, it could review the frame is rusted, or review it to be an excellent shape. There is a rubberize stuff that can be applied to metal that some people did to protect the paint from scratching and other damage, but they also did it to cover up rust, I would try to peel it off, start with the fork if it looks to bad or rusted after it's off then leave the frame alone, at that point the bike would be worthless to sell.
I dont believe my miyata is tripple butted like the rest of the line up maybe that is the reason why it is lighter than your 2 miyatas mine is around 17lbs and can drop into the 15lb range with a different fork and post gauranteed maybe thats why its not as stiff ? Sacraficing stiffness for a lighter bike?

I dont believe my miyata is tripple butted like the rest of the line up maybe that is the reason why it is lighter than your 2 miyatas mine is around 17lbs and can drop into the 15lb range with a different fork and post gauranteed maybe thats why its not as stiff ? Sacraficing stiffness for a lighter bike?

If this bike is a 914se then your weight is way off because there is nothing special about that frame or components that would drop the weight down to the levels you're saying that they are especially if the bike is stock, but even if had the lightest components ever made in 91 the frame alone would keep the weight above 20 pounds, but with the original Ultegra stuff you're looking closer to 22 to 23 pounds. http://www.miyatacatalogs.com/2007/12/miyata-catalog-1991.html

But then I found this...from YOU, http://thecabe.com/forum/threads/miyata-914se-upgraded.91270/

The most weight you would drop off that bike with a carbon fork is just one pound, however your price is way over board, all the original decals are gone, the paint is not original, the fork is not original, the wheels are not original, only the regular 914 came with the heavier 105 components, that bike does not weigh 16 pounds you're saying it does. Then you go on to say you don't think it's triple butted splined but you say it's a 914se which all of them were, so which is it? And I know those splined triple butted frames real well and they don't ride anywhere near how you explained it.

I hate to say this but based on what I'm seeing, you're scamming people.

That for sure will **** you off, but unless you can show markings on that bike as an original 914se I'm not buying it and I hope no one else does either. So I'm not going to waste anymore time with you.

So u dont think my bike weighs 17 lbs and i would make this is up? Let me kno how much your frame weighs and tell me if its not possible also let me kno how much your fork weighs also

Maybe it's more bots.

Or maybe it's quadruple butted.

That is also 16lbs with no post and seat

Yup. That's we all weigh our bikes. There is the somewhat obscure Swiss Standard in which the headset is also removed and replaced with one made of stale marshmallows.

Not that much these days, and it would depend on the buyer since it's technically brand new at this point. Why not just use it for yourself though? You will have more fun with it, and you won't have to part with something that belongs to you. That's what I would do, but then again, I'm a very sentimental person, and the thing to remember is that if there's a chance I can use it, I would never sell it, even for a profit. It's mine, and I am very protective of my things.

They are worried about the worth because this is my stolen bike. The original color is black not that crappy white.
It weighs 17lbs as it sits like this
I think it can get to the 15.99 lb mark easilly but should i keep this frame or go with something more modern
WHY are you worried about what the bike is "worth"?!?

FYI. 9-speed Shimano wasn't available until c1998 ...

So, a part of your bike's drivetrain was apparently updated at some point in time ...
OTHERS may disagree, but you were given a pretty nice bike which someone took the time to update at some point in time in the past ...

The wheels are probably relatively new ... if not brand new ... their value, alone, when new was $200+ ... those tires are another $100+ ...​

And, if YOU wanted to update it to the 21st Century, YOU only need to replace those old 9-speed 105 shifters (nothing wrong with those, BTW) with some 10-or-11-speed Campagnolo shifters (mostly, depending on YOUR aesthetic sensibilities) which are pretty-much compatible with the rest of the Shimano drivetrain ... the cost of the Campagnolo shifters will depend on the model you choose AND where you buy them from (very few walk-in bike shops carry Campagnolo components ... Velomine is one shop in Illinois from which you can order Campagnolo parts either via eBay or directly) ...

If you live in a hilly area and you find ANY problems with the shifting, then you will find that the Campagnolo shifters will be a great improvement.

The crank appears to be from the pre-1998 era 105 group (i.e., a square spindle BB with Shimano's "8-speed" crankset) ... there is nothing wrong with that ... it can be easily updated if your aesthetic sensibilities deem it to be necessary OR if you want a different crankarm length (e.g., they may be 170mm and you may-or-may want a crank with 175mm arms).

If the fork is what I think it may be, then it may be worth as much as the frame ... which is not to diminish the frame's value, but rather to double the value of the underlying bike.

With THAT wordy preamble, depending on the condition, the bike is worth between $450-to-$800 (i.e., replacement cost for the parts OR if parted-out & sold to the "right" buyer).

So, IMO, whoever gave you the bike is a VERY GOOD friend-or-relative.

Go & THANK them, again ... and, again!