Miyata light weight road bike

Dave H.

Guest
Hi All,

Just picked up an old Miyata from a neighbor. I'm trying to figure out which
model and which year this is. Any ideas?

The frame has an old repaint job, right over the decals, but there is a
Miyata badge on the head tube.

http://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0126.JPG
http://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0130.JPG
http://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0131.JPG

Heat tube badge
http://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0133.JPG

"L" shaped front brake mount
http://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0132.JPG
http://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0127.JPG

Rear derailleur
http://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0129.JPG

Brake lever & yellow cable housing.
http://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0136.JPG

Chainrings and front derailleur
http://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0137.JPG

Downtube shifters
http://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0138.JPG

The frame has an eyelet on each of the Suntour dropouts, adjustment screws
on the rear, and plenty of headroom for fenders (or 27 inch wheels?). The
original color could be a reddish orange. Short 55cm top tube c-c for a 57cm
frame (22-1/2", bb center up seat tube to center of top tube).

Dura Ace cranks, 170 mm, dating to March and August 1977.
Dura Ace rear derailleur from July 1978.
Chainrings from Shimano, 42 tooth dated June 1977, 53 tooth is marked "W
cut" on a sticker.
Shimano 600 clamp-on friction shift levers, front derailleur.
Suntour Superbe brake levers with F + R nutted brakes. The front brake mount
is "L" shaped.
SR Road Champion 38 cm bars with Benotto tape caps.
SR Royal nicely polished quill stem, 115 mm 22.20 Japan.
Campagnolo quill pedals with chromed plastic dust caps.
Tange Levin headset, badly indexed.

Newer parts: Campagnolo hubs, skewers, Omega Stradox rims (hardly used),
stainless spokes, plus Michelin Select 700x25c tires (again hardly used),
Post Modern seatpost, Velo Terry saddle, and a Shimano bb from April 1982.

The saddle has to go. I would like to find an original seat post, some brake
hoods, and redo the paint job someday. Thanks for your help,

Dave H.
======

Dave H. wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Just picked up an old Miyata from a neighbor. I'm trying to figure out which
> model and which year this is. Any ideas?
>
> The frame has an old repaint job, right over the decals, but there is a
> Miyata badge on the head tube.
>
> http://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0126.JPG
> http://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0130.JPG
> http://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0131.JPG
>
> Heat tube badge
> http://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0133.JPG
>
> "L" shaped front brake mount
> http://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0132.JPG
> http://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0127.JPG

that's not a frame feature, that's an aftermarket kludge on the brakes
that allow 700c wheels on a 27" wheel frame.

> Rear derailleur
> http://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0129.JPG

historically interesting, but functionally obsolete. get a period
suntour derailleur instead - the slanted parallelogram design is much
superior and is the basis for all modern derailleur designs.

> Brake lever & yellow cable housing.
> http://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0136.JPG
>
> Chainrings and front derailleur
> http://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0137.JPG

that is possibly the most technically interesting shot on the whole bike
- it shows an original sedis sport chain. the sedis sport was the
original bushingless chain that was a mini revolution. not only was it
a smooth shifting, quiet, high quality chain, modestly priced and
durable, its greater lateral flexibility accommodated the subsequent
transition to the both index shifting and larger gear counts. it was a
deceptively simple but remarkable breakthrough.

> Downtube shifters
> http://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0138.JPG
>
> The frame has an eyelet on each of the Suntour dropouts, adjustment screws
> on the rear, and plenty of headroom for fenders (or 27 inch wheels?).

27". see above.

> The
> original color could be a reddish orange. Short 55cm top tube c-c for a 57cm
> frame (22-1/2", bb center up seat tube to center of top tube).
>
> Dura Ace cranks, 170 mm, dating to March and August 1977.
> Dura Ace rear derailleur from July 1978.
> Chainrings from Shimano, 42 tooth dated June 1977, 53 tooth is marked "W
> cut" on a sticker.
> Shimano 600 clamp-on friction shift levers, front derailleur.
> Suntour Superbe brake levers with F + R nutted brakes. The front brake mount
> is "L" shaped.
> SR Road Champion 38 cm bars with Benotto tape caps.
> SR Royal nicely polished quill stem, 115 mm 22.20 Japan.
> Campagnolo quill pedals with chromed plastic dust caps.
> Tange Levin headset, badly indexed.
>
> Newer parts: Campagnolo hubs, skewers, Omega Stradox rims (hardly used),
> stainless spokes, plus Michelin Select 700x25c tires (again hardly used),
> Post Modern seatpost, Velo Terry saddle, and a Shimano bb from April 1982.
>
> The saddle has to go. I would like to find an original seat post, some brake
> hoods, and redo the paint job someday. Thanks for your help,
>
> Dave H.
> ======

it's a nice old frame, but built for 27" wheels. as such, you've lost
about 4mm on wheel radius. unless you're fixated on a period
restoration, consider swapping out the brakes for modern shimano long
reach dual pivot calipers. and perhaps consider marginally shorter
cranks since the bb is now a little closer to the ground.

a good candidate for a fendered winter commuter.

On May 28, 10:08 am, "Dave H." <[email protected]> wrote:
[snip]
> The saddle has to go. I would like to find an original seat post, some brake
> hoods, and redo the paint job someday. Thanks for your help,

Nice mix of old parts! I love those old Arabesque Shimano shifters, I
overhauled and sold a bike with full such 600 kit last year. With a
good cluster and chain, it shifts great. Pretty Superbe brakes. Nice
wheels as well. Shame about that paint job. Might be worth getting it
reshot or powdercoated.

Tange Levins are still available for $20. Gum vintage brake hoods can
be stupidly dear, but I like the Cane Creek SCR5, which you can get in
silver/gum these days. It's comfy to boot, and has the vibe of the
old. A NOS Turbo or new Rolls saddle would be appropriate and comfy.

Don't know the model name, I'm more familiar with their touring stuff.

those levers:
http://tinyurl.com/2u5kqf

On May 28, 8:08 am, "Dave H." <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Just picked up an old Miyata from a neighbor. I'm trying to figure out which
> model and which year this is. Any ideas?
>
> The frame has an old repaint job, right over the decals, but there is a
> Miyata badge on the head tube.
>
> http://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DS...http://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0131.JPG
>
> Heat tube badgehttp://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0133.JPG
>
> "L" shaped front brake mounthttp://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0132.JPGhttp://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0127.JPG
>
> Rear derailleurhttp://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0129.JPG
>
> Brake lever & yellow cable housing.http://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0136.JPG
>
> Chainrings and front derailleurhttp://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0137.JPG
>
> Downtube shiftershttp://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0138.JPG
>
> The frame has an eyelet on each of the Suntour dropouts, adjustment screws
> on the rear, and plenty of headroom for fenders (or 27 inch wheels?). The
> original color could be a reddish orange. Short 55cm top tube c-c for a 57cm
> frame (22-1/2", bb center up seat tube to center of top tube).
>
> Dura Ace cranks, 170 mm, dating to March and August 1977.
> Dura Ace rear derailleur from July 1978.
> Chainrings from Shimano, 42 tooth dated June 1977, 53 tooth is marked "W
> cut" on a sticker.
> Shimano 600 clamp-on friction shift levers, front derailleur.
> Suntour Superbe brake levers with F + R nutted brakes. The front brake mount
> is "L" shaped.
> SR Road Champion 38 cm bars with Benotto tape caps.
> SR Royal nicely polished quill stem, 115 mm 22.20 Japan.
> Campagnolo quill pedals with chromed plastic dust caps.
> Tange Levin headset, badly indexed.
>
> Newer parts: Campagnolo hubs, skewers, Omega Stradox rims (hardly used),
> stainless spokes, plus Michelin Select 700x25c tires (again hardly used),
> Post Modern seatpost, Velo Terry saddle, and a Shimano bb from April 1982.
>
> The saddle has to go. I would like to find an original seat post, some brake
> hoods, and redo the paint job someday. Thanks for your help,
>
> Dave H.
> ======

Your bike is obviously older, but FWIW, my mom has a Miyata Nine-
Twelve from about 1985 with Shimano 600EX/SIS, So I'd imagine that
this bike has a similar model number. She mostly rides her touring
bike these days, but still has the Miyata on the trainer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miyata

Dura-ace AX parts suggest a ?1982? Team Miyata or Pro Miyata ; the
top of the line and only 21.5 lbs. Thanx to my friend Rich Pinder in
Los Angeles you can view a 1984 catalogue with this bicycle :

http://www-hsc.usc.edu/~rpinder/images/Miyata84Catalog.pdf

The frame will be the same as in the 1984 catalogue, but the dura-ace
AX parts were available at the same time as the later EX 7400 series
parts. The AX parts are some of most unusual stuff that Shimano ever
produced ... that's a keeper bike, you know ...

- Don Gillies
San diego, CA

Probably your first move should be to get either an affordable tange
levin crown race ( www.biketools.etc ) or a whole new headset right
away.

http://www-hsc.usc.edu/~rpinder/images/Miyata84Catalog.pdf

Make certain your bikes uses an ISO / 26.4 crown rather than JIS / 27.0.

If more than just the crown race is pitted, get a NOS headset from
either Cycles De Oro ( Greenville SC, www.cyclesdeoro.com, just send
email or phone call ), or through any LBS ( tell them to deal with Tom
Martin at Wilson Bike in Oakland California ~ which still stocks the
tange levin NL500 (steel, campy nuovo record copy) and tange levin
NL1500 (alloy, campy super record) clone headsets.)

These are $35-$50 items and are of higher quality than what's sold
today as "Tange Levin" headsets for $20-$25.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

Actually, I am kinda wondering if it's a Team Miyata or Pro Miyata if
it has a drop-bolt on the front brake. Do your brakes have mismatched
reaches? The rear looks like a mid-long (47-57) reach, and the front
looks like a short-reach brake (39-49) brake?

If it's a 27" wheeled model it must be a lower model of bike, with all
of the parts upgraded. In particular, the Road Champion bars are too
cheap to find on a typical Team or Pro Miyata bike (they should be
World Champion or Nitto, which weigh no less but look cooler.)
Bike Handlebars are a part that is seldom changed out. On the other
hand, headset is even less-often changed out, and you have a very
high-end headset on that bike.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

>The saddle has to go. I would like to find an original seat post, some brake
>hoods, and redo the paint job someday. Thanks for your help,

Here is a high-end SR FourSir Seatpost (lacking its black label) that
could be used on your bike. It's 2nd from the ESL top of the line.
According to the Miyata catalogue, Miyatas often used 26.8 posts, but
you'll need to check that this post is the right size for you :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320119745201

The 4sir is roughly a 220-230 gram post, comparable to the mid-range
seatposts sold today. How do I know this? I have one and can point
you to a european NOS source if you need 27.0 posts of this type.

Most SR Laprade posts are 300-330 grams+. There are a million of
these boat-anchor posts floating around.

High-end SR/Sakae posts are not common; on ebay I see about 1 per
month and if you think about size-mismatches, you might not see
another post like this for 4-6 months. They are difficult to identify
because they were marked with a decal only and most of them have
rubbed off by now ; the very best ones have titanium hardware.

Last week I saw a top-of-the-line ESL post (world champion multicolor
decal, as seen on stems, crank arms, and seatposts) in 26.6 or 26.8.
In general, if the cradle is NOT sand-casted but polished then it's a
high-end post. In general if the clamps are relieved on the sides (so
they look like an X from above, not an O), then it's high-end.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

"landotter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On May 28, 10:08 am, "Dave H." <[email protected]> wrote:
> [snip]
>> The saddle has to go. I would like to find an original seat post, some
>> brake
>> hoods, and redo the paint job someday. Thanks for your help,

> Nice mix of old parts! I love those old Arabesque Shimano shifters, I
> overhauled and sold a bike with full such 600 kit last year. With a
> good cluster and chain, it shifts great. Pretty Superbe brakes. Nice
> wheels as well. Shame about that paint job. Might be worth getting it
> reshot or powdercoated.
>
> Tange Levins are still available for $20. Gum vintage brake hoods can
> be stupidly dear, but I like the Cane Creek SCR5, which you can get in
> silver/gum these days. It's comfy to boot, and has the vibe of the
> old. A NOS Turbo or new Rolls saddle would be appropriate and comfy.
>
> Don't know the model name, I'm more familiar with their touring stuff.
>
> those levers:
> http://tinyurl.com/2u5kqf

The ornate levers can stay. The metal may look dull, but the design is
sharp.

Thanks for the tip about the Cane Creek levers.

Have a spare old Turbo saddle that was replaced by a Serfas Cosmos a month
ago.

Might be able to rebuild the headset. I've had good luck loading them with
loose ball bearings.

Dave H.
=====

"jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [...]

>> Tange Levin headset, badly indexed.
>>
>> Newer parts: Campagnolo hubs, skewers, Omega Stradox rims (hardly used),
>> stainless spokes, plus Michelin Select 700x25c tires (again hardly used),
>> Post Modern seatpost, Velo Terry saddle, and a Shimano bb from April
>> 1982.
>>
>> The saddle has to go. I would like to find an original seat post, some
>> brake hoods, and redo the paint job someday. Thanks for your help,
>>
>> Dave H.
>> ======

> it's a nice old frame, but built for 27" wheels. as such, you've lost
> about 4mm on wheel radius. unless you're fixated on a period restoration,
> consider swapping out the brakes for modern shimano long reach dual pivot
> calipers. and perhaps consider marginally shorter cranks since the bb is
> now a little closer to the ground.
>
> a good candidate for a fendered winter commuter.

Yeah, fenders are a great idea for this bike. The front is likely to get a
dual pivot brake, although I will save the old stuff. Right now the used
Suntour pads don't even sit well on the old but almost new Omega Strada
wheels. I will see how the funky old DA AX derailleur works out before
swapping in a slightly newer 1985 DA sis rear derailleur from the parts box.

Whoever repainted and fixed up the frame did the buyer a disservice by
failing to fix the headset, or making sure the brakes worked well. No wonder
my neighbor hardly used the bike since he got it second hand 15 or more
years ago. It is still very clean, just has many years of garage dust on it.

Found out how much better the Sedis chain design is a few years ago. Had
Sedis on a used 1985 Vitus, replaced it with a newer chain in the old style
(bushings) and the shifting really suffered.

I think the bike had 700c tires way back when, perhaps when new. An early
owner scuffed both Campagnolo quill pedals on the outside edges with
aggressive riding, (pic of Jobst Brandt on the corners comes to mind), and
wore out the headset. The crank length should be ok for casual riding. The
bike has to be leaning well over before the pedals rub.

Dave H.
======

"Donald Gillies" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Actually, I am kinda wondering if it's a Team Miyata or Pro Miyata if
> it has a drop-bolt on the front brake. Do your brakes have mismatched
> reaches? The rear looks like a mid-long (47-57) reach, and the front
> looks like a short-reach brake (39-49) brake?
>
> If it's a 27" wheeled model it must be a lower model of bike, with all
> of the parts upgraded. In particular, the Road Champion bars are too
> cheap to find on a typical Team or Pro Miyata bike (they should be
> World Champion or Nitto, which weigh no less but look cooler.)
> Bike Handlebars are a part that is seldom changed out. On the other
> hand, headset is even less-often changed out, and you have a very
> high-end headset on that bike.
>
> - Don Gillies
> San Diego, CA

Hi Don,

Still not sure which bike this is. Leaning toward a 1977 something, perhaps
their "semi-pro" 912 model, or a much upgraded lower model.

Thanks for the link to the 1984 catalog.
http://www-hsc.usc.edu/~rpinder/images/Miyata84Catalog.pdf

I found a Japanese site with some 1978 information. These 1978 frames have
braze-on shifter mounts. The orange color looks like the traces of color
found on this bike.
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~uc6y-ssk/special_45.html

The eyelets on the dropouts, and the 27" wheel capability, made me think is
not a top level team bike. But it may be fairly high-end,or perhaps the
current parts loadout has cut the weight.

The bike is under 22 pounds by the bathroom scale method, good for older
steel. In the 1984 catalog the semi-pro models are much heavier, with the
310 25 lbs (23"), 710 25 lbs (58cm), and the 912 24.5 pounds (57cm). It
weighs a pound less than my 1987 Fuji Roubaix 59cm with quad butted and
channeled Ishiwata Feather cro-mo tubing (Mostly 105, with Sora 7 speed
brifters, computer, 2 cages, 28c tires).

Still looking to figure out when they got away from clamp-on shift levers.
The frame has a small triangle of steel under the tube to help hold the
friction levers in place. No fancy cut-outs under the bb.

Held a tape measure against the Suntour Superbe brakes. Both front and rear
have 50mm (about 2 inches) between the center of the mounting post and the
center of the pad bolt in the lowest position. They have the same reach as
1985 Dura Ace, and newer 105 or RSX brakes. Nashbar's finest come in at 55
mm. The rear brakes don't have the drop bolt and the pads just barely reach
the 700c rim.

SR Road Champion handlebars 1.0 inches, or about 25.4 mm.
Seat post 1.041 inches on a dial caliper, or about 26.44 mm.
Rear spacing 126mm.
Maillard 6s 13-26 freewheel on that Campy replacement wheel.

If and when I repaint, perhaps some decals can be revealed without
destroying them (maybe).

Dave H.
======

On May 29, 12:57 pm, "Dave H." <[email protected]> wrote:

> The ornate levers can stay. The metal may look dull, but the design is
> sharp.

No doubt. I love the look of the old Superbe levers and calipers. The
classiest stuff to come out of Japan for sure. I replaced the old 600
levers on an old bike because it was simply cheaper than getting NOS
hoods. They were pretty banged up and not worth saving.

> Thanks for the tip about the Cane Creek levers.
>
> Have a spare old Turbo saddle that was replaced by a Serfas Cosmos a month
> ago.
>
> Might be able to rebuild the headset. I've had good luck loading them with
> loose ball bearings.

I tried that with an old Tange Levin, but it still indexed. Worth a
shot, though.

On Tue, 29 May 2007 14:31:06 -0400, "Dave H."
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Donald Gillies" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>Hi Don,
>
>Still not sure which bike this is. Leaning toward a 1977 something, perhaps
>their "semi-pro" 912 model, or a much upgraded lower model.
>
>Thanks for the link to the 1984 catalog.
>http://www-hsc.usc.edu/~rpinder/images/Miyata84Catalog.pdf

Cool catalog. I had a 1983ish 912 and liked it a lot -- did my first
races on it and later rode it across the US.
--
JT
****************************

On May 28, 1:41 pm, [email protected] (Donald Gillies) wrote:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miyata
>
> Dura-ace AX parts suggest a ?1982? Team Miyata or Pro Miyata ; the
> top of the line and only 21.5 lbs. Thanx to my friend Rich Pinder in
> Los Angeles you can view a 1984 catalogue with this bicycle :
>
> http://www-hsc.usc.edu/~rpinder/images/Miyata84Catalog.pdf
>
> The frame will be the same as in the 1984 catalogue, but the dura-ace
> AX parts were available at the same time as the later EX 7400 series
> parts. The AX parts are some of most unusual stuff that Shimano ever
> produced ... that's a keeper bike, you know ...
>
> - Don Gillies
> San diego, CA

I have to say thank you for the PDF catalog!
Carlos R.
SSF, CA

On May 28, 11:08 am, "Dave H." <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Just picked up an old Miyata from a neighbor. I'm trying to figure out which
> model and which year this is. Any ideas?
>
> The frame has an old repaint job, right over the decals, but there is a
> Miyata badge on the head tube.
>
> http://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DS...http://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0131.JPG
>
> Heat tube badgehttp://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0133.JPG
>
> "L" shaped front brake mounthttp://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0132.JPGhttp://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0127.JPG
>
> Rear derailleurhttp://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0129.JPG
>
> Brake lever & yellow cable housing.http://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0136.JPG
>
> Chainrings and front derailleurhttp://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0137.JPG
>
> Downtube shiftershttp://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0138.JPG
>
> The frame has an eyelet on each of the Suntour dropouts, adjustment screws
> on the rear, and plenty of headroom for fenders (or 27 inch wheels?). The
> original color could be a reddish orange. Short 55cm top tube c-c for a 57cm
> frame (22-1/2", bb center up seat tube to center of top tube).
>
> Dura Ace cranks, 170 mm, dating to March and August 1977.
> Dura Ace rear derailleur from July 1978.
> Chainrings from Shimano, 42 tooth dated June 1977, 53 tooth is marked "W
> cut" on a sticker.
> Shimano 600 clamp-on friction shift levers, front derailleur.
> Suntour Superbe brake levers with F + R nutted brakes. The front brake mount
> is "L" shaped.
> SR Road Champion 38 cm bars with Benotto tape caps.
> SR Royal nicely polished quill stem, 115 mm 22.20 Japan.
> Campagnolo quill pedals with chromed plastic dust caps.
> Tange Levin headset, badly indexed.
>
> Newer parts: Campagnolo hubs, skewers, Omega Stradox rims (hardly used),
> stainless spokes, plus Michelin Select 700x25c tires (again hardly used),
> Post Modern seatpost, Velo Terry saddle, and a Shimano bb from April 1982.
>
> The saddle has to go. I would like to find an original seat post, some brake
> hoods, and redo the paint job someday. Thanks for your help,
>
> Dave H.
> ======

I once had a Miyata 310, purchased some time in the early '80s. Nice
steel frame with eyelets, 27 inch wheels, 105 components. Fairly
light. I built some 700c wheels for it. Could this be an upgraded
310?

Leland Yee
North Sandwich, NH

"Leland Yee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On May 28, 11:08 am, "Dave H." <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Just picked up an old Miyata from a neighbor. I'm trying to figure out
>> which
>> model and which year this is. Any ideas?
>>
>> The frame has an old repaint job, right over the decals, but there is a
>> Miyata badge on the head tube.
>>
>> http://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DS...http://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0131.JPG
>>
>> Heat tube badgehttp://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0133.JPG
>>
>> "L" shaped front brake
>> mounthttp://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0132.JPGhttp://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0127.JPG
>>
>> Rear derailleurhttp://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0129.JPG
>>
>> Brake lever & yellow cable
>> housing.http://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0136.JPG
>>
>> Chainrings and front
>> derailleurhttp://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0137.JPG
>>
>> Downtube shiftershttp://www.batterypin.com/Miyata/DSCF0138.JPG
>>
>> The frame has an eyelet on each of the Suntour dropouts, adjustment
>> screws
>> on the rear, and plenty of headroom for fenders (or 27 inch wheels?). The
>> original color could be a reddish orange. Short 55cm top tube c-c for a
>> 57cm
>> frame (22-1/2", bb center up seat tube to center of top tube).
>>
>> Dura Ace cranks, 170 mm, dating to March and August 1977.
>> Dura Ace rear derailleur from July 1978.
>> Chainrings from Shimano, 42 tooth dated June 1977, 53 tooth is marked "W
>> cut" on a sticker.
>> Shimano 600 clamp-on friction shift levers, front derailleur.
>> Suntour Superbe brake levers with F + R nutted brakes. The front brake
>> mount
>> is "L" shaped.
>> SR Road Champion 38 cm bars with Benotto tape caps.
>> SR Royal nicely polished quill stem, 115 mm 22.20 Japan.
>> Campagnolo quill pedals with chromed plastic dust caps.
>> Tange Levin headset, badly indexed.
>>
>> Newer parts: Campagnolo hubs, skewers, Omega Stradox rims (hardly used),
>> stainless spokes, plus Michelin Select 700x25c tires (again hardly used),
>> Post Modern seatpost, Velo Terry saddle, and a Shimano bb from April
>> 1982.
>>
>> The saddle has to go. I would like to find an original seat post, some
>> brake
>> hoods, and redo the paint job someday. Thanks for your help,
>>
>> Dave H.
>> ======

> I once had a Miyata 310, purchased some time in the early '80s. Nice
> steel frame with eyelets, 27 inch wheels, 105 components. Fairly
> light. I built some 700c wheels for it. Could this be an upgraded
> 310?
>
> Leland Yee
> North Sandwich, NH

Still not sure which Miyata model this is. Have a bit more info. The
original paint color is orange. The serial number indicates a 1979 frame
(Hxxxxxx) . The fork steerer tube is marked "Tange 9K". The bottom bracket
spindle "Shimano One Key Release". Part of an oval sticker is showing on the
bottom of the seat tube, silvery with a brown outline.

I'm leaning toward the high end models, yet fender eyelets seem out of place
for a top-end model. The bb shell is plain. I've noticed that some of the
newer high end Miyata models had cutouts under the bb. So perhaps it is a
step or two down from the top.

The lower-spec handlebars could be a crash replacement (and do show some
marks around the stem). There is some road rash on the left brake lever. All
of the other old bits are upscale. If someone upgraded they went all out: DA
cranks, DA rear derailleur, Campy pedals, 600 (ultegra) front derailleur and
friction shifters, Suntour Superbe brakes, Tange Levin headset, SR Royal
quill stem (nicely polished like a Cinelli stem).

Finally got around to working on the Miyata today. New bearings for the BB
and headset, cleaning this and that. Plan to put some miles on it tomorrow.

Dave H.
======