MKS brand pedals

Wilfred Kazoks

Guest
Does anyone know if MKS brand pedals are available in Melbourne (or
Australia)?

I have seen them on the web and I want to get some better pedals for my
bike. I am quite happy to stick to toeclip type pedals. They suit me nicely.
The pedals on most bike shop walls I have seen just don't appeal.

I know i'm a bit of a retro odd-bod but geez am I the only one? Is there no
demand at all for a good quality toeclip pedal? Sigh.

Regards Wilfred

Wilfred Kazoks wrote:
> Does anyone know if MKS brand pedals are available in Melbourne (or
> Australia)?
>
> I have seen them on the web and I want to get some better pedals for my
> bike. I am quite happy to stick to toeclip type pedals. They suit me nicely.
> The pedals on most bike shop walls I have seen just don't appeal.
>
> I know i'm a bit of a retro odd-bod but geez am I the only one? Is there no
> demand at all for a good quality toeclip pedal? Sigh.

You're a nut, but we have some good quality toeclip pedals at the LBS I
work at (quite close to the Stuporstore you saw the mudguards at :) ).

They'll go well with woolen knicks and leather helmets :)

Wilfred Kazoks said:
Does anyone know if MKS brand pedals are available in Melbourne (or Australia)?

I have seen them on the web and I want to get some better pedals for my
bike. I am quite happy to stick to toeclip type pedals. They suit me nicely.
The pedals on most bike shop walls I have seen just don't appeal.

I know i'm a bit of a retro odd-bod but geez am I the only one? Is there no
demand at all for a good quality toeclip pedal? Sigh.

I thought the trackies would be all over this one..
MKS are popular in Japan with Keirin racers (they're NJS approved - all kit has to be NJS approved before it can be used in the races and it's meant to be a sign of quality to get the approval - Nitto bars, etc.)

http://www.keirinberlin.de/Keirin_Parts18.html

Dunno about Melbourne though. Never seen them there.
I'd love my SPD-SLs right now.. sob.. carbon goodness..

hippy

hippy said:
I thought the trackies would be all over this one..
MKS are popular in Japan with Keirin racers (they're NJS approved - all kit has to be NJS approved before it can be used in the races and it's meant to be a sign of quality to get the approval - Nitto bars, etc.)

http://www.keirinberlin.de/Keirin_Parts18.html

Dunno about Melbourne though. Never seen them there.
I'd love my SPD-SLs right now.. sob.. carbon goodness..

hippy

Why on earth didn't you take them with you?

Resound said:
Why on earth didn't you take them with you?

They were attached to my race bike. I could only take one bike and I took the GT for touring/commuting purposes. Oh god the horror of only having one bike arrrrrrgrhhhhh ghghhgh ghghghhhh etc ;)

hippy

hippy said:
They were attached to my race bike. I could only take one bike and I took the GT for touring/commuting purposes. Oh god the horror of only having one bike arrrrrrgrhhhhh ghghhgh ghghghhhh etc ;)

hippy

I've been told that pedals can be unscrewed from bikes...

Resound said:
I've been told that pedals can be unscrewed from bikes...

Nuh uh!

Nah.. I decided on taking my trusty SPDs and left the rest. Of course, in hindsight, I should have brought TWO bikes and my race kit and my HRM and some photos and this and that and and and..

hippy ;)

hippy wrote:
> Resound Wrote:
> > I've been told that pedals can be unscrewed from bikes...

> Nuh uh!
>
> Nah.. I decided on taking my trusty SPDs and left the rest. Of course,
> in hindsight, I should have brought TWO bikes and my race kit and my
> HRM and some photos and this and that and and and..

Bicycles are cheap in the UK, no? :)

You're bringing me back a -lot- of stuff!

Bleve said:
Bicycles are cheap in the UK, no? :)
You're bringing me back a -lot- of stuff!

NO. :(

The myth has been shattered for me. Bikes are cheaper in Oz.
There's bucketloads more stuff in Oz hard-rubbish too.

Ignoring the lack of bike space in my place..
Good stuff is costly
Bad stuff is really bad
Ebay bikes sell for more than they are worth and the ads are usually ****, lack detail and require stupid PayPal payment.
I have no "bike" contacts here to get deals on parts, etc.
Most "road" bikes here are flat-bar commuter setups or hybrid shite
Most MTBs are K-Mart-esque
I don't know where all the singlespeeds hide at night
I'm buying bike mags to see what the roadies have on offer coz ebay is a laugh.
My $500 HRM has gone missing in Oz somewhere. :(

But, ignoring my depraved whinge for a second, what do you want? 'Some' stuff actually IS cheaper and once I stop taking time off for brain scans and sh1t, I might actually have some money to buy kit. My collection of used saddles grows daily. ;-)

hippy
- Take note glove manufacturers: I swapped my Specialized gloves for some GORE ones coz they have easy-off loops on the fingers. Essential!
- Damn, I need to go to bed!

dtmeister said:
hippy <[email protected]> wrote:
> My $500 HRM has gone missing in Oz somewhere. :([/color]

Get a new one! Only 400 aussie pesos. That's like 5 quid in'it? :)

http://tinyurl.com/e6vmo

Just had a quick look and I can get the 720i here for £165ish which is about $430AUD. I had the 710 - I'm not sure what the 720i improves upon, if anything. I'm sure my old one will turn up just as soon as I buy a new one!!

hippy

hippy wrote:
> Just had a quick look and I can get the 720i here for £165ish which is
> about $430AUD. I had the 710 - I'm not sure what the 720i improves
> upon, if anything. I'm sure my old one will turn up just as soon as I
> buy a new one!!

Can you get it sent to an address in Oz so that it's VAT free, then
brought/sent back? 17.5% VAT is $75, so if you get a good postage deal
it might leave you enough for a couple of pints of warm lager.

donga

On 2006-06-16, hippy (aka Bruce)
> - Take note glove manufacturers: I swapped my Specialized gloves for
> some GORE ones coz they have easy-off loops on the fingers. Essential!

Uno!

--
TimC
If I'd known computer science was going to be like this, I'd never have

hippy <[email protected]> wrote:
> Just had a quick look and I can get the 720i here for ?165ish which is
> about $430AUD. I had the 710 - I'm not sure what the 720i improves
> upon, if anything. I'm sure my old one will turn up just as soon as I
> buy a new one!!

Nope, the only "improvement" over the 710i is the metal face. I think
they've dropped the 710i from their range as there were no functional
differences..

--
..dt