MLB Gets Tough on Steroids

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Warren

From AP...

"Starting next year, a first positive test for steroid use would result in treatment and a second in
a 15-day suspension or fine of up to $10,000.

The length of penalties would increase to a 25-day suspension or fine of up to $25,000 for a third
positive test, a 50-day suspension or fine of up to $50,000 for a fourth and a one-year suspension
or fine of up to $100,000 for a fifth. The suspensions would be without pay."

"warren" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:131120032253516068%[email protected]...
> From AP...
>
> "Starting next year, a first positive test for steroid use would result in treatment and a second
> in a 15-day suspension or fine of up to $10,000.
>
> The length of penalties would increase to a 25-day suspension or fine of up to $25,000 for a third
> positive test, a 50-day suspension or fine of up to $50,000 for a fourth and a one-year suspension
> or fine of up to $100,000 for a fifth. The suspensions would be without pay."

That's not exactly 'tough' but at least they're doing something.

I wonder if they realized what a can of worms they just opened up. The owners may come to regret
demanding drug testing from the union. As we cycling fans are all too well aware, drug publicity
does not help a sport.

That's pretty weak. Considering that the minimum salary for MLB is $300K (and these really aren't
the guys doing it), 10 grand is still small and not addressing the issue. I mean 15 day suspension?
Try one year, or even 6 months without pay is worth more than some fines.

CH

warren <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<131120032253516068%[email protected]>...
> From AP...
>
> "Starting next year, a first positive test for steroid use would result in treatment and a second
>
> The length of penalties would increase to a 25-day suspension or fine of up to $25,000 for a third
> positive test, a 50-day suspension or fine of up to $50,000 for a fourth and a one-year suspension

warren wrote:

> From AP...
>

Why wait for the second? And a fine of $10K is nothing.

Yeah, kinda like drunk driving enforcement, the real penalties don't kick in until those who are
recording the infractions realize it's the violator's way of life, not just a spiked drink.

In article <131120032253516068%[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>From AP... "Starting next year, a first positive test for steroid use would result in treatment and
>a second in a 15-day suspension or fine of up to $10,000. The length of penalties would increase to
>a 25-day suspension or fine of up to $25,000 for a third positive test, a 50-day suspension or fine
>of up to $50,000 for a fourth and a one-year suspension or fine of up to $100,000 for a fifth. The
>suspensions would be without pay."

I forget what minimum wage is in MLB, but the fines sure seem like nothing more than a slap on the
wrist compared to the average MLB salary.
-------------
Alex

In article <[email protected]>, chris
<[email protected]> wrote:

> That's pretty weak. Considering that the minimum salary for MLB is $300K (and these really aren't
> the guys doing it), 10 grand is still small and not addressing the issue. I mean 15 day
> suspension? Try one year, or even 6 months without pay is worth more than some fines.

Yes, and I'll bet if you did a random survey on the streets the public would say that drugs are more
of a problem in cycling or track and field than MLB.

-WG

> warren <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<131120032253516068%[email protected]>...
> > From AP...
> >
> > "Starting next year, a first positive test for steroid use would result in treatment and a
> > second in a 15-day suspension or fine of up to $10,000.
> >
> > The length of penalties would increase to a 25-day suspension or fine of up to $25,000 for a
> > third positive test, a 50-day suspension or fine of up to $50,000 for a fourth and a one-year
> > suspension or fine of up to $100,000 for a fifth. The suspensions would be without pay."

warren <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<141120031909447408%[email protected]>...

<snip>

> Yes, and I'll bet if you did a random survey on the streets the public would say that drugs are
> more of a problem in cycling or track and field than MLB.
>
> -WG

On the contrary, a USA TODAY/CNN/Gallup Poll found that 78% of baseball fans believe steroids have
contributed to the recent glut of offensive records.

While Joe Q. Public may believe that track & field athletes also have a lot of drug problems, due
to the media coverage during the Olympics when some of them test positive, I'd be willing to bet
that most American non-cyclists have no idea that drugs are a problem in cycling or have any idea
why cyclists would take drugs. Hell, most Americans think that riding in the MS150 is a race and
have no clue what a Euro GT is like to participate in. Why would anybody need to take drugs just to
ride a bike?

In article <[email protected]>,
Fred Marx <[email protected]> wrote:

> anyone catch that three Oakland Raiders including Romanowski tested positve for TGH this week? OK
> Baseball you're next..... and to think everyone thinks it's just cyclists and Track atheletes that
> do this ****.

As of Sunday night, it's four Raiders. Have any other teams done any testing yet?

--
tanx, Howard

"Danger, you haven't seen the last of me!"
"No, but the first of you turns my stomach!"
Firesign Theatre

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

"Fred Marx" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> anyone catch that three Oakland Raiders including Romanowski tested positve for TGH this week? OK
> Baseball you're next..... and to think everyone thinks it's just cyclists and Track atheletes that
> do this ****.

Dumbass -

Anyone with half a brain realized a long time ago that the NFL is steroid-ridden. The average weight
of a lineman is over 300 lbs. Imagining that the NFL is clean is about the same as imagining Mr.
Olympia is clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.