Mmm - tomatoes!

David Martin

Guest
Popped into the allotment on my way to work today..

I've been munching tomatoes all day. Yummy. Nice ripe ones just starting to
go soft.

SWMBO will ba a bit miffed because there won't be any making it as far as
the house today.

...d

David Martin <[email protected]> writes:

>Popped into the allotment on my way to work today..

>I've been munching tomatoes all day. Yummy. Nice ripe ones just starting to
>go soft.

>SWMBO will ba a bit miffed because there won't be any making it as far as
>the house today.

Jealous.
I will probably be looking into recipes for green tomatoes as nothing
seems to be happening colourwise. Plenty of green ones, and the small ones
are getting bigger, but the bigger ones aren't doing anything.

The killer attack squashs however are doing fine :)

Roos

On 31 Aug 2004 12:17:56 GMT, Roos Eisma <[email protected]> wrote:

> David Martin <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> Popped into the allotment on my way to work today..

>> I've been munching tomatoes all day. Yummy. Nice ripe ones just
>> starting to
>> go soft.

>> SWMBO will ba a bit miffed because there won't be any making it as far
>> as
>> the house today.

> Jealous.

Ditto.

> I will probably be looking into recipes for green tomatoes as nothing
> seems to be happening colourwise. Plenty of green ones, and the small
> ones
> are getting bigger, but the bigger ones aren't doing anything.

We have had a bumper harvest of 5, yes FIVE, tomatoes this year. Though
they have all ripened.

The greenhouse they are in is also home to an established grapevine which
was extremely bountiful last year (we live at over 1500 feet so this was a
surprise to us) but this year it hasn't set a single fruit depite growing
leaves for England.

> The killer attack squashs however are doing fine :)

Potatoes, swedes and beetroots are good with some fine lettuces too.

Colin

David Martin wrote:
> SWMBO will ba a bit miffed because there won't be any making it as far as
> the house today.

Try to save some for making pa amb tomaquet - by far the best thing you
can do with an over-ripe tomato.

d.

On 31/8/04 1:30 pm, in article [email protected], "davek"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> David Martin wrote:
>> SWMBO will ba a bit miffed because there won't be any making it as far as
>> the house today.

> Try to save some for making pa amb tomaquet - by far the best thing you
> can do with an over-ripe tomato.

They are not overripe, they were just right!

Carrots aren't doing very well. The 'fly away' ones got fly bitten and the
others are either finished or too small.

Beans were/are good. Pumpkins coming on a treat (biggest are medicine ball
sized) and the potatoes are excellent. Loads of courgettes. Onions doing
fine.

My grape vine is also just leaves. The chilli peppers, aubergines and melons
never really got going because the tomatoes took all the light in the
greenhouse.

Butternut squash is spreading like crazy but has yet to show signs of
fruiting.

Beetroot is not brilliant but the celeriac is doing fine (very easy crop to
grow, plant and forget).

Blue skies and sunshine: has the weather forgotten it's summer?

...d

davek <[email protected]> said:
> David Martin wrote:
>> SWMBO will ba a bit miffed because there won't be any making it as far as
>> the house today.

> Try to save some for making pa amb tomaquet - by far the best thing you
> can do with an over-ripe tomato.

One of the few advantages of living in Lincolnshire is the abundant, cheap
agricultural produce, especially at this time of year. From the markets
beetroots are available from as little as 10p each, with corncobs from 25p.
I filled an enormous rucksack the other day for slightly less than a fiver.

Tis great.

Regards,

-david

David Martin wrote:
> Popped into the allotment on my way to work today..
>
> I've been munching tomatoes all day. Yummy. Nice ripe ones just
> starting to go soft.

All day? Blimey, your next few bikes rides will be fast as you race for
the nearest bog.

~PB

David Martin wrote:
> Popped into the allotment on my way to work today..
>
> I've been munching tomatoes all day. Yummy. Nice ripe ones just
> starting to go soft.
>
> SWMBO will ba a bit miffed because there won't be any making it as
> far as the house today.
>
> ..d

My onions were pretty good. I need to harvest my carrots soon too

"Martin Newstead" <[email protected]>typed

> David Martin wrote:
> > Popped into the allotment on my way to work today..
> >
> > I've been munching tomatoes all day. Yummy. Nice ripe ones just
> > starting to go soft.
> >
> > SWMBO will ba a bit miffed because there won't be any making it as
> > far as the house today.
> >
> > ..d

> My onions were pretty good. I need to harvest my carrots soon too

The sweetcorn's doing well, the peas are sweet but sparse, The onions
are swelling, the spinach grows well, my strawberries have shown a late
flower which might just fruit.
I am awash with home-made plum jam and the Bramleys are dropping off the
tree...

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

>I will probably be looking into recipes for green tomatoes as nothing
>seems to be happening colourwise.

Chutney. Green tomato chutney is delicious.

Cheers, helen s

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:
[...]
> I am awash with home-made plum jam and the Bramleys are dropping off
> the tree...

Oh how I wish I had a Bramley. The blackberries are particularly bountiful
around here this year. But every time I make a pie I have to go and buy a
Bramley to go with.

Freezer slowly filling up in preperation for jamming.

--
Cheerful Pedalling
John Mallard

In article <[email protected]>,
"John Mallard" <not_me@all> writes:

> Oh how I wish I had a Bramley. The blackberries are particularly bountiful
> around here this year. But every time I make a pie I have to go and buy a
> Bramley to go with.

Heh! Where's your "here"? We have ample blackberries, but the flavour
is not a patch on last year's gorgeous crop:-(

> Freezer slowly filling up in preperation for jamming.

Freezer contains its first batch of surplus blackberries, but it's
not peak season yet. And I've just been promised lots of bramleys:
apparently a friend-of-a-friend had a tree that fell in recent storms,
and is disposing of them. Alas, not a smiley for that, even if the
fruit'll be great to have.

--
Nick Kew

dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers <[email protected]> wrote:

> >I will probably be looking into recipes for green tomatoes as nothing
> >seems to be happening colourwise.

> Chutney. Green tomato chutney is delicious.

Alternatively, pick the green tomatoes and put them in a paper bag with
a ripe one - the green ones will ripen in a few days.
--
Carol
"I was just being a little teapot. It's a bad habit of mine"

Carol Hague wrote:
> dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>> I will probably be looking into recipes for green tomatoes as
>>> nothing seems to be happening colourwise.

>> Chutney. Green tomato chutney is delicious.

> Alternatively, pick the green tomatoes and put them in a paper bag
> with a ripe one - the green ones will ripen in a few days.

Or how about with bananas? Don't bananas give off lots of magic gas?

~PB

Pete Biggs wrote:

> Or how about with bananas? Don't bananas give off lots of magic gas?

Yebbut, Mr. I-don't-believe-in-the-laws-of-physics has pinched it to operate
the brakes on his motorbike...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Nick Kew wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "John Mallard" <not_me@all> writes:
>
>> Oh how I wish I had a Bramley. The blackberries are particularly
>> bountiful around here this year. But every time I make a pie I have
>> to go and buy a Bramley to go with.

> Heh! Where's your "here"? We have ample blackberries, but the
> flavour is not a patch on last year's gorgeous crop:-(

Birmingham.
And yes, I agree. The wet summer appears to have produced large fruit with
less taste.

--
Cheerful Pedalling
John Mallard

Pete Biggs <pblackcherry{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

> Carol Hague wrote:

> >> Chutney. Green tomato chutney is delicious.

> > Alternatively, pick the green tomatoes and put them in a paper bag
> > with a ripe one - the green ones will ripen in a few days.

> Or how about with bananas? Don't bananas give off lots of magic gas?

I know you're meant to keep banananananas away from other fruit because
they emit something that makes the other stuff go off faster, so it
might work. I haven't tried it though, and I *have* used the ripe
tomato trick several times to good effect.

--
Carol
"I was just being a little teapot. It's a bad habit of mine"
- Wyvern, Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased).

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 16:27:07 +0100, [email protected] (Carol Hague)
wrote:

>dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> >I will probably be looking into recipes for green tomatoes as nothing
>> >seems to be happening colourwise.

>> Chutney. Green tomato chutney is delicious.

>Alternatively, pick the green tomatoes and put them in a paper bag with
>a ripe one - the green ones will ripen in a few days.

Can you do the banana trick with them too?

(Bananas give off etheylene(?) as they ripen, promoting ripening of
other fruit)

Alternatively, somewhere over there > I have a recipe for Green Tomato
Chutney. The first time I made it I knocked my mother's Kenwood Chef
off the worktop and broke it. Oops.

Tim

On 3/9/04 8:59 am, in article [email protected],
"Tim Hall" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 16:27:07 +0100, [email protected] (Carol Hague)
> wrote:

>>> Chutney. Green tomato chutney is delicious.

>> Alternatively, pick the green tomatoes and put them in a paper bag with
>> a ripe one - the green ones will ripen in a few days.

> Can you do the banana trick with them too?

yes

> (Bananas give off etheylene(?) as they ripen, promoting ripening of
> other fruit)

ethylene promotes ripening of the fruit in that it promotes the genes that
cause colour change, sugar conversion and finally pectin degradation leading
to softening.
You can do weird things with tomatoes if you genetically modify these genes.

> Alternatively, somewhere over there > I have a recipe for Green Tomato
> Chutney. The first time I made it I knocked my mother's Kenwood Chef
> off the worktop and broke it. Oops.

Och, just hang on to the tomatoes for a while. They'll ripen in the fruit
bowl.

...d