Mmmm....this looks very promising (no porn here)..Sram triggers

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Slacker, May 23, 2003.

  1. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    Tags:

  2. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

  3. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "Dave Stocker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Slacker" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > http://dropmac.web.aplus.net/news/news/view.php?id=85&a=full
    > >
    > > I hope those things work cause I'd love to slap one on my next rig.
    > > --
    >
    > Yay, no road shifters on my mountain bike. I had heard that Shimano
    was
    > migrating its new XTR shifter/brake lever style to XT next year. I was already mourning the
    > passage of rapidfire.
    >
    > -Dave

    You know, I thought those new shifters were just another gimmick, and, in some respects they are.
    SRAM is gonna get a lot of business from people who don't want to run disc brakes from somebody
    other than shimano now. However, the XTR shifters themselves are actually pretty nice - I was
    surprised by how simple the system was, I thought for sure it was going to be a bitch to learn, but
    it was fairly natural. I'm probably going to switch over in three years before I graduate and lose
    the sponsorship deals - I figure they'll have worked out most of the bugs by then.

    Jon Bond

  4. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > You know, I thought those new shifters were just another gimmick, and, in some respects they are.
    > SRAM is gonna get a lot of business from people who don't want to run disc brakes from somebody
    > other than shimano now. However, the XTR shifters themselves are actually pretty nice - I was
    > surprised by how simple the system was, I thought for sure it was going to be a bitch to learn,
    > but it was fairly natural. I'm probably going to switch over in three years before I graduate and
    > lose the sponsorship deals - I figure they'll have worked out most of the bugs by then.
    >
    > Jon Bond

    Yeah, I'm using XTR's (2001/02) now and they've been great. Flawless and completely maintenance
    free, but if Shimano thinks I'm giving up my Hayes for their (IMHO) POS brakes, they're out of
    their mind!

    Go Sram, go!!!
    --
    Slacker

  5. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

  6. Technician

    Technician Guest

    > "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > http://dropmac.web.aplus.net/news/news/view.php?id=85&a=full
    > >
    > > I hope those things work cause I'd love to slap one on my next rig.
    >
    > The first generation SRAM trigger shifters hit the market a while back, and quietly died. I never
    > got a chance to try 'em; but I hear they weren't ready for prime-time.
    >
    > These new ones look promising. Very clever design. I can't wait to try 'em.
    >
    > Go SRAM!
    >
    > Barry

    my only gripe is the levers look too short. but then, maybe they are suited to being mounted on the
    grip side of the brakes (had to mount my shimano trigger shifters on the other side of the brakes as
    they were long enough to interfere with holding the bar).
    --
    ~Travis

  7. David Bailey

    David Bailey Guest

    rode these shifters a few weeks ago, the inner paddle takes a while to get used to and the whole
    unit runs at a differant angle to the Shimano version. The best part is you can brake and shift down
    at the same time.

  8. Junobug

    Junobug Guest

    "David Bailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > rode these shifters a few weeks ago, the inner paddle takes a while to get used to and the whole
    > unit runs at a differant angle to the Shimano
    version.
    > The best part is you can brake and shift down at the same time.

    Do people actually brake while pedaling and shift gears all at the same time? Hell, I can barley pat
    my head and rub my tummy!

    Ken Juneau, Alaska

  9. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "David Bailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]s.bigpond.com...
    > rode these shifters a few weeks ago, the inner paddle takes a while to get used to and the whole
    > unit runs at a differant angle to the Shimano version. The best part is you can brake and shift
    > down at the same time.

    Is there another shifter lever ?? on that thing. I initially thought the paddle was both for up &
    down shifting, but it looks like I'm incorrect from the picture.

    What was the "feel" like...light..heavy or ?

    Any word on price?
    --
    Slacker

  10. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    > "David Bailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > rode these shifters a few weeks ago, the inner paddle takes a while to get used to and the whole
    > > unit runs at a differant angle to the Shimano
    > version.
    > > The best part is you can brake and shift down at the same time.
    > >

    > Do people actually brake while pedaling and shift gears all at the same time? Hell, I can barley
    > pat my head and rub my tummy!
    >
    > Ken

    I have, but not while pedaling. Sometimes as your powering into a turn you'll brake, click down a
    couple gears and lean the bike, then you're in a better sprinting gear for the first few strokes as
    you're exiting the apex.

    Damn, I almost sound like a pro!
    --
    Slacker

  11. "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "David Bailey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > rode these shifters a few weeks ago, the inner paddle takes a while to
    get
    > > used to and the whole unit runs at a differant angle to the Shimano
    version.
    > > The best part is you can brake and shift down at the same time.
    >

    > Is there another shifter lever ?? on that thing. I initially

    Yes. Lookit the first picture.

    Brake and shift at the same time right before a turn and then you'll be in the right gear coming
    out. Like telepathy. Except not.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  12. junobug wrote:

    > Do people actually brake while pedaling and shift gears

    Of course.

  13. Dave Stocker

    Dave Stocker Guest

    "David Bailey" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    news:[email protected]...

    > The best part is you can brake and shift down at the same time.

    I do that now with the Shimano pods. That is the biggest reason I do not wnat to be forced to that
    lever gimmick in a few years.

    -Dave

  14. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > "David Bailey" <[email protected]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > The best part is you can brake and shift down at the same time.
    >
    > I do that now with the Shimano pods. That is the biggest reason I do not wnat to be forced to that
    > lever gimmick in a few years.
    >
    > -Dave

    Hey with those you brake and shift at the same time whether you like it or not, lol.
    --

  15. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > junobug wrote:
    >

    > > Do people actually brake while pedaling and shift gears
    >
    > Of course.

    Hell, I often brake, steer, pedal, shift, pant, fall, scream and bleed all at the same time -
    what's the BFD?

    Shaun aRe - 'multi-tasker extraordinaire'.