Mmmmm fairings

Mikael Seierup

Guest
Weight aside I'm very happy I have my TE-clone with its fairing this time of year. Yesterday I rode
the VK2 and it took me some time before I could feel all my tootsies again when I got back home.
Today I did my traditional ride to appease the Puncture Fairy for the rest of the year. People are
pigs. Broken glass everywhere on the bikepath after last night. Don't think I managed to get a flat
unless its one of the sneaky ones. I guess I will get a chance again tomorrow if the sweepers are as
effective as usual. Anyway despite similar weather I was not a frozen popsicle when I got back and
the tootsies are toasty. ;-)

Happy new year once again Mikael

Mikael Seierup wrote:

> Weight aside I'm very happy I have my TE-clone with its fairing this time of year. Yesterday I
> rode the VK2 and it took me some time before I could feel all my tootsies again when I got back
> home. Today I did my traditional ride to appease the Puncture Fairy for the rest of the year.
> People are pigs. Broken glass everywhere on the bikepath after last night....

Look on the bright side - at least you are not drinking aluminium flavored beer.

Tom Sherman – Close to 41½ N, 90½ W

I also go fairing-mad at the end of the year. About a week ago I added a surfboard flexible packing
foam from the top of my front fairing to the back of the rack. That worked out so very well! Now my
extremely low Catrike is like a torpedo. I think that if I put a surfboard fin on top- pointing up-
it would look like a lost shark out of water! No popsicle toes yet.

Chris Jordan Santa Cruz, CA.

"Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]
berlin.de>...
> Weight aside I was not a frozen popsicle when I got back and the tootsies are toasty. ;-)
>
> Happy new year once again Mikael

"Tom Sherman" skrev...
> Look on the bright side - at least you are not drinking aluminium flavored beer.

Personally no. Nor the silly plastic bottles they try to peddle. We got both types though. The can
ban is history. Unfortunately for the makers they are more expensive per can than per bottle and
whats the point then. Nope its more or less business as usual here. As in if its in a can its bought
cheap in Germany.

Mikael

"Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> "Tom Sherman" skrev...

> > Look on the bright side - at least you are not drinking aluminium flavored beer.
>
> Personally no. Nor the silly plastic bottles they try to peddle. We got both types though. The can
> ban is history. Unfortunately for the makers they are more expensive per can than per bottle and
> whats the point then. Nope its more or less business as usual here. As in if its in a can its
> bought cheap in Germany.
>
> Mikael

When I was in the Navy in the 50's stationed in French Morocco we drank that very good German and
Danish beer that came in bottles. After experiencing that beer I have never been able to drink
American beer whether it comes in bottles or cans. I have transferred my allegiance to the grape and
now drink only the vino. Those of you who bother to read me on this newsgroup are the beneficiaries
of my drinking habits. An American of Irish extraction who doesn't drink is an abomination to his
race. Heritage counts after all!

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Edward Dolan wrote:

> When I was in the Navy in the 50's stationed in French Morocco we drank that very good German and
> Danish beer that came in bottles....

Tuborg or Carlsberg? At least those were the two most common brands in Denmark two decades ago.

> After experiencing that beer I have never been able to drink American beer whether it comes in
> bottles or cans....

The late Mike Royko had a point when he stated that mass-produced US beer tasted like it had been
brewed through a horse.

Tom Sherman wrote:
> Edward Dolan wrote:
>
>> When I was in the Navy in the 50's stationed in French Morocco we drank that very good German and
>> Danish beer that came in bottles....
>

> Tuborg or Carlsberg? At least those were the two most common brands in Denmark two decades ago.
>
>> After experiencing that beer I have never been able to drink American beer whether it comes in
>> bottles or cans....
>

> The late Mike Royko had a point when he stated that mass-produced US beer tasted like it had been
> brewed through a horse.
>
> Tom Sherman – Close to 41½ N, 90½ W

Reminds me of a few years ago, I met a couple at one of the after-show hospitality suites at the
Dayton HamVention. She was from France, and he was an American expatriate who spent half the year
in England and the other half at their place in the southern part of France. She had an adorable
accent, but his was an affectation wavering between British and French. Anyway, he spent most of
the evening lambasting American beer, going through all the tired jokes about why it's served
cold, etc., and how he never drinks the stuff, and only buys imported when he's in the States. I
took note of what he was drinking and asked him how he liked it. He said it was great, much
better than that swill the Americans make. He wasn't too talkative after I pointed out to him
that Oldenberg was brewed just down the road a piece from Dayton, in northern Kentucky, USA.
There's nothing worse than a snob, especially if the sole criteria is based on religion, race or
national origin. And a beer snob is the worst of all, since they tend to get argumentative, want
to pick a fight, blubber over how you're their best buddy, and then they throw up in your car.

--
Larry Varney Cold Spring, KY http://home.fuse.net/larryvarney

Larry Varney wrote:

> ... There's nothing worse than a snob, especially if the sole criteria is based on religion,
> race or national origin. And a beer snob is the worst of all, since they tend to get
> argumentative, want to pick a fight, blubber over how you're their best buddy, and then they
> throw up in your car.

That sounds almost as bad as someone going on and on about an out of production lowracer that only
18 people can have an opportunity to own. Especially if a cycling acquaintance of that person
purchases them a matching trike using the "Buy it now" option on an eBay auction. Agreed?

Tom Sherman wrote:
> Larry Varney wrote:
>
>> ... There's nothing worse than a snob, especially if the sole criteria is based on religion,
>> race or national origin. And a beer snob is the worst of all, since they tend to get
>> argumentative, want to pick a fight, blubber over how you're their best buddy, and then they
>> throw up in your car.
>

> That sounds almost as bad as someone going on and on about an out of production lowracer that only
> 18 people can have an opportunity to own. Especially if a cycling acquaintance of that person
> purchases them a matching trike using the "Buy it now" option on an eBay auction. Agreed?
>
> Tom Sherman – Close to 41½ N, 90½ W

Almost. And every time I'm at a craft show or antique shop, if I see something that has a
dragonfly in/on it, I think, I came really close to having a somewhat-good reason for buying
that! As it is now, I limit my motif purchases to penguins.

--

[email protected] (Edward Dolan) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]
> berlin.de>...
>
> An American of Irish extraction who doesn't drink is
> an abomination to his race. Heritage counts after all!
>
> Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Ed, I did not want to be an abomination to my Irish, English, French, Native American heritage last
night so I had an ale (hope that counts as beer) from the local Wasatch brewery. Best beer that I
have ever had outside of Deutschland is brewed here locally in Salt Lake City. Not what I expected
in this state known for teetotalers.

My Father use to say that a beer tastes best when the sweat is running down the crack in you ass.
Keeping to that theme, I have always felt that it was a good recovery drink after a day of yard
work, a run or a bike ride. (He said, bringing the subject smoothly back on topic.)

My Father's last words to me were that he wished that we could go someplace for a couple beers. A
couple beers is a tradition in family as well as culture.

Gary Patrick McCarty

> Edward Dolan wrote:
>
> > When I was in the Navy in the 50's stationed in French Morocco we drank that very good German
> > and Danish beer that came in bottles....
>
> Tuborg or Carlsberg? At least those were the two most common brands in Denmark two decades ago.

Yes, both of those and a couple of others too which I have forgotten the names of (probably too
drunk at the time). We drank those beers in the enlisted mens club at the U.S. Naval Air Station at
Port Lyautey, French Morocco, and they were quite inexpensive. It was the only time in my life that
I ever enjoyed the taste of beer.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"Gary Mc" skrev
> Keeping to that theme, I have always felt that it was a good recovery drink after a day of yard
> work, a run or a bike ride. (He said, bringing the subject smoothly back on topic.)

Well I could have written "hop-based energy drink" in the subject line. But "beer" is faster to
write. ;-)

M.

Larry Varney <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

[...]

> There's nothing worse than a snob, especially if the sole criteria is based on religion, race
> or national origin. And a beer snob is the worst of all, since they tend to get
> argumentative, want to pick a fight, blubber over how you're their best buddy, and then they
> throw up in your car.

Larry, I couldn't agree with you more! As a Hospital Corpsman in the Navy for 4 years I had to put
up with drunks like you wouldn't believe. It was almost enough to make me swear off the elixir of
life myself. Instead, I resolved from that point on to just drink at home alone, and so I would not
be a bother to anyone ever.

Wine snobs are just as bad as beer snobs if not worse. My take on it is that hooch is hooch and
anyone who makes a big deal out of any niceties connected with the barley or the grape is ipso facto
a snob. Still, taste does matter.

As regards your other concerns about snobs, I would point out to you that it is still possible to
make discriminations and judgements based on various criteria and not be labeled a snob. But I agree
with you, the SOLE criteria cannot be religion, race or national origin. But too much tolerance for
differences that matter is just as bad as too little tolerance.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Edward Dolan wrote:
> Larry Varney <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
> [...]
>

>> There's nothing worse than a snob, especially if the sole criteria is based on religion, race
>> or national origin. And a beer snob is the worst of all, since they tend to get
>> argumentative, want to pick a fight, blubber over how you're their best buddy, and then they
>> throw up in your car.
>

> Larry, I couldn't agree with you more! As a Hospital Corpsman in the Navy for 4 years I had to put
> up with drunks like you wouldn't believe. It was almost enough to make me swear off the elixir of
> life myself. Instead, I resolved from that point on to just drink at home alone, and so I would
> not be a bother to anyone ever.
>
> Wine snobs are just as bad as beer snobs if not worse. My take on it is that hooch is hooch and
> anyone who makes a big deal out of any niceties connected with the barley or the grape is ipso
> facto a snob. Still, taste does matter.
>
> As regards your other concerns about snobs, I would point out to you that it is still possible to
> make discriminations and judgements based on various criteria and not be labeled a snob. But I
> agree with you, the SOLE criteria cannot be religion, race or national origin. But too much
> tolerance for differences that matter is just as bad as too little tolerance.
>
> Ed Dolan - Minnesota

And therein lies the secret - figuring out the "differences that matter". With beer, my
primary concern is how it tastes. I'll admit that there are few beers that I just can't stand
- Oertels 92 is one that comes to mind, but it did have one thing going for it when I was in
high school: it was cheap. And sometimes I wonder if my opinion of a beer isn't swayed by the
occasion: I first had San Miguel beer at a resort in the Philippines, and I thought it was
about the best-tasting thing around. But, I could have been influenced by the bar maid who was
serving it. And I do differ from you in one respect - it's difficult to know if it's one of
the "differences that matter" <g> - I tend to drink beer primarily when I'm not alone. At
home, I'm a Pepsi One drinker.

--

Gary Mc wrote:

> ... My Father use to say that a beer tastes best when the sweat is running down the crack in
> you ass....

If your BB is high enough above your seat, that will not happen.

Edward Dolan wrote:

> Larry, I couldn't agree with you more! As a Hospital Corpsman in the Navy for 4 years I had to put
> up with drunks like you wouldn't believe. It was almost enough to make me swear off the elixir of
> life myself. Instead, I resolved from that point on to just drink at home alone, and so I would
> not be a bother to anyone ever....

How does posting messages to Usenet fit in with being "alone"?

[email protected] (Gary Mc) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> [email protected] (Edward Dolan) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...

> > An American of Irish extraction who doesn't drink is
> > an abomination to his race. Heritage counts after all!
>
> Ed, I did not want to be an abomination to my Irish, English, French, Native American heritage
> last night so I had an ale (hope that counts as beer) from the local Wasatch brewery. Best beer
> that I have ever had outside of Deutschland is brewed here locally in Salt Lake City. Not what I
> expected in this state known for teetotalers.
>
> My Father use to say that a beer tastes best when the sweat is running down the crack in you ass.
> Keeping to that theme, I have always felt that it was a good recovery drink after a day of yard
> work, a run or a bike ride. (He said, bringing the subject smoothly back on topic.)

Your Father was a wise man indeed. The only time a beer ever tastes good to me is after a hard day
of cycling in July or August when the sweat is pouring off of me. But Minnesota is the land of
chills for most of the year and so I find that the vino is a better solution to making my life
bearable. It seems to warm me up.

> My Father's last words to me were that he wished that we could go someplace for a couple beers. A
> couple beers is a tradition in family as well as culture.

My Father also liked his couple of beers. He was a diabetic and could not really ever drink, but he
was also a true Irishman and life without spirits was not worth living. We Irish are just smarter
than everyone else I think! ;)

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Larry Varney <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Edward Dolan wrote:

> > Larry Varney <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> >
> > [...]
> >

> >> There's nothing worse than a snob, especially if the sole criteria is based on religion, race
> >> or national origin. And a beer snob is the worst of all, since they tend to get
> >> argumentative, want to pick a fight, blubber over how you're their best buddy, and then they
> >> throw up in your car.
> >

> > Larry, I couldn't agree with you more! As a Hospital Corpsman in the Navy for 4 years I had to
> > put up with drunks like you wouldn't believe. It was almost enough to make me swear off the
> > elixir of life myself. Instead, I resolved from that point on to just drink at home alone, and
> > so I would not be a bother to anyone ever.
> >
> > Wine snobs are just as bad as beer snobs if not worse. My take on it is that hooch is hooch and
> > anyone who makes a big deal out of any niceties connected with the barley or the grape is ipso
> > facto a snob. Still, taste does matter.
> >
> > As regards your other concerns about snobs, I would point out to you that it is still possible
> > to make discriminations and judgements based on various criteria and not be labeled a snob. But
> > I agree with you, the SOLE criteria cannot be religion, race or national origin. But too much
> > tolerance for differences that matter is just as bad as too little tolerance.
> >
> > Ed Dolan - Minnesota
>
> And therein lies the secret - figuring out the "differences that matter". With beer, my primary
> concern is how it tastes. I'll admit that there are few beers that I just can't stand - Oertels
> 92 is one that comes to mind, but it did have one thing going for it when I was in high school:
> it was cheap. And sometimes I wonder if my opinion of a beer isn't swayed by the occasion: I
> first had San Miguel beer at a resort in the Philippines, and I thought it was about the best-
> tasting thing around. But, I could have been influenced by the bar maid who was serving it. And
> I do differ from you in one respect - it's difficult to know if it's one of the "differences
> that matter" <g> - I tend to drink beer primarily when I'm not alone. At home, I'm a Pepsi One
> drinker.

Yes, there are very few people in this world who prefer to drink at home alone. This can actually be
quite dangerous as you do not have anyone around to rescue you from your drunken stupors. The famous
actor William Holden fell and hit his head on something when he was at home drinking alone and bled
to death from the wound. What a way to go!

Well, that is the way it is in Minnesota in the winter time. The temp is now going to be dropping
below zero. The weather is constantly trying to kill us here in Minnesota. So a little vino to warm
me up I figure can't hurt anything. Spring doesn't arrive here in Minnesota until about April or
May. You have it made there in Kentucky.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

> Edward Dolan wrote:
>
> > Larry, I couldn't agree with you more! As a Hospital Corpsman in the Navy for 4 years I had to
> > put up with drunks like you wouldn't believe. It was almost enough to make me swear off the
> > elixir of life myself. Instead, I resolved from that point on to just drink at home alone, and
> > so I would not be a bother to anyone ever....
>
> How does posting messages to Usenet fit in with being "alone"?
>
> Tom Sherman ? Close to 41½ N, 90½ W

Are you insinuating that I am being a bother to anyone by posting while under the influence? But
this is cyberspace and therefore not real. I am not in the physical presence of anyone and so
therefore I am sparing any real persons any objectionable conduct by a real me. I do not think your
postings to this newsgroup are any less objectionable than my own, whether you are drinking or not.
I always gauge my posts by your posts as you have earned the distinction of being the ARBR guru par
excellence.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota