mmmmmm humble pie

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Sm, Jul 21, 2003.

  1. Sm

    Sm Guest

    "Lance is finished"... "Jan will drop Armstrong today".... hope the pie tastes good boys and gals!

    Tags:

  2. Corey Green

    Corey Green Guest

    "SM" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Lance is finished"... "Jan will drop Armstrong today".... hope the pie tastes good boys and gals!

    Ye of little faith. Looks like the real Lance finally decided to show.

  3. Luc Boyer

    Luc Boyer Guest

    ha ha haaaa haaaa haa ..... sorry I swallowed up my my gum... ha ha haaaaa haa haaaa haa haha

    How can somebody be soooo sure and be sooo wrong.

    "SM" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Lance is finished"... "Jan will drop Armstrong today".... hope the pie tastes good boys and gals!

  4. Cox

    Cox Guest

    You are smoking crack right? With the all the shit he talked, he deserves the detractors.

    "David N. Welton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > I think the Simoni detractors ought to eat some themselves. He has already won a grand tour this
    > year, plus a stage at the Tour.
    >
    > --
    > David N. Welton Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/ Personal: http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/ Free
    > Software: http://www.dedasys.com/freesoftware/ Apache Tcl: http://tcl.apache.org/

  5. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "David N. Welton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > I think the Simoni detractors ought to eat some themselves. He has already won a grand tour this
    > year, plus a stage at the Tour.
    >
    > --
    > David N. Welton Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/ Personal: http://www.dedasys.com/davidw/ Free
    > Software: http://www.dedasys.com/freesoftware/ Apache Tcl: http://tcl.apache.org/

    So he was just misunderstood? He only meant that he could grab a stage at some point? I thought he
    said that he could keep up with Lance on GC and the only question was whether his superior climbing
    would be enough to overcome his "slight" disadvantage in time trialing?

  6. "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> writes:

    > So he was just misunderstood? He only meant that he could grab a stage at some point? I thought he
    > said that he could keep up with Lance on GC and the only question was whether his superior
    > climbing would be enough to overcome his "slight" disadvantage in time trialing?

    Most of the quotes I have read go something like this:

    «Al Tour proveremo a mettere in difficoltà Armstrong. Finora è sempre stato portato in
    carrozza a Parigi. Non ha mai incontrato scalatori: sul podio del Tour si sono alternati
    corridori come Beloki, Ullrich, Moreau, tutta gente che a cronometro non può ostacolare
    l'americano e in salita sono molto più deboli di lui. Se preso nella "tenaglia" anche
    Armstrong può lasciarsi prendere dal panico. Certo, il percorso del Tour non mi sembra
    durissimo, ma dicevo la stessa cosa del Giro di quest'anno che invece è stato molto
    impegnativo: le corse le scopri sulla strada».

    http://www.ilnuovo.it/nuovo/foglia/0,1007,180587,00.html

    So the worst thing he really said was that Armstrong never went up against a 'real climber', and
    that Ullrich, Moreau and Beloki aren't as strong as Lance is up the hills. To tell you the truth,
    even if he's being a bit dismissive of guys who subsequently dropped him, and underestimating
    Lance's substantial climbing abilities, the above isn't much more than lots of riders spout off
    before the Tour.

    Simoni showed class, courage, and respect for the Tour by gutting it out despite his ambitions being
    completely shred - and then he came back and actually pulled out a stage. Not bad at all in my book.

    Everyone in Italy is still waiting for Lance to race the Giro.

    --

  7. "David N. Welton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    > > So he was just misunderstood? He only meant that he could grab a stage at some point? I thought
    > > he said that he could keep up with Lance on GC and the only question was whether his superior
    > > climbing would be enough to overcome his "slight" disadvantage in time trialing?
    >
    > Most of the quotes I have read go something like this:
    >
    > «Al Tour proveremo a mettere in difficoltà Armstrong. Finora è sempre stato portato in
    > carrozza a Parigi. Non ha mai incontrato scalatori: sul podio del Tour si sono alternati
    > corridori come Beloki, Ullrich, Moreau, tutta gente che a cronometro non può ostacolare
    > l'americano e in salita sono molto più deboli di lui. Se preso nella "tenaglia" anche
    > Armstrong può lasciarsi prendere dal panico. Certo, il percorso del Tour non mi sembra
    > durissimo, ma dicevo la stessa cosa del Giro di quest'anno che invece è stato molto
    > impegnativo: le corse le scopri sulla strada».
    >
    > http://www.ilnuovo.it/nuovo/foglia/0,1007,180587,00.html
    >
    > So the worst thing he really said was that Armstrong never went up against a 'real climber', and
    > that Ullrich, Moreau and Beloki aren't as strong as Lance is up the hills. To tell you the truth,
    > even if he's being a bit dismissive of guys who subsequently dropped him, and underestimating
    > Lance's substantial climbing abilities, the above isn't much more than lots of riders spout off
    > before the Tour.
    >
    > Simoni showed class, courage, and respect for the Tour by gutting it out despite his ambitions
    > being completely shred - and then he came back and actually pulled out a stage. Not bad at all in
    > my book.
    >
    > Everyone in Italy is still waiting for Lance to race the Giro.
    >
    > --
    > David N. Welton

    David,

    I think that the problem could be the word "real" that is not really written in the quote, and makes
    it sound a bit agressive. But I agree that when you read the quote it does not sound dimissive at
    all. In fact it has been quite true.

    Maybe the right adjective to reinforce Simoni's opinion could have been "explosive"?

  8. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "David N. Welton" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > So the worst thing he really said was that Armstrong never went up against a 'real climber',

    Perhaps so, but I did rather like it when he said that perhaps he would buy Armstrong a handkerchief
    to wipe away his tears. At least, that was the way it was reported in the French press.