MMMmmmmmMunilicious

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by MrBoogiejuice, Dec 13, 2004.

  1. Today Santa came early for me. My new KH24 Freeride was delivered by a
    man who's arms nearly got ripped from his sockets! So I thought I'd give
    some first impressions: First off it's very easy on the eye in a pretty
    yet sturdy sort of way. I was impressed with the bearing housings too.
    They're really solid and there are no bits of screw protruding anywhere
    as the srewheads sit in little recesses. The hub is MASSIVE, I'm sure
    it's nearly the diameter of a rolling pin. The tyre is rather marvellous
    too; I was doing some natural trials on some rocks and even covered in
    mud it still stuck to the rocks like nobodies business. I've not really
    experimented with the rail adaptor yet. Although I had to fiddle about
    with it a bit after the nose of the saddle got knocked downwards when I
    did a drop not more than 4 ft, so anyone buying one, check the tightness
    of the saddle before you do drops.

    I also got some of the new kh pulse gloves and they seem pretty funky.
    Comfortable, but you've still got loads of support and movement. I went
    for the medium size as I wasn't really sure how hands are measured, and
    they seem fine. A little tight, but they'll stretch.

    My one concern is the number of Kris Holm signatures I now display when
    I'm riding: One on each leg, two on the rim, two on the frame, two on
    the seatpost, one on the saddle, one on each crank, one on the hub and
    two on each hand...that's 14 altogether!!! Ah well, I suppose if I'm
    going to adorn my self with someone's name...repeatedly. then Kris
    Holm's is better than most others.

    All in all it's a wonderful machine and I'd reccomend it to anyone. I'll
    have some photos posted soon of it nice and muddy.

    Kit (a very happy badger)

    --
    MrBoogiejuice - Loyal subject of the crown

    Clean living, fair play and devotion to the empire
    MrBoogiejuice's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5515

  2. steveyo

    steveyo Guest

    How'd you get it so fast?

    I just placed my order for a KH29-XC at unicyle.com.

    Not ready to ship till end-of-year, unfortunately.

    --
    steveyo - touring wobbler

    steveyo

    If your feet are cold, cover your head.
    - eskimo proverb

  3. It turns out I've actually broken it already. The drop I was talking
    about bent the rails on the saddle. Buggersticks!

    I was wondering if anyone else who's got the rail adaptor has also bent
    the rails. I fooked up the drop a little when I did it, the tyre landed
    in a rut so I couldn't roll out and my weight went forward on the
    saddle, thus bending the rails.

    It seems a little odd that a uni so strong everywhere else has this one
    weak point where a lot of stress is put on. Using buttress welds and not
    particularly great steel doesn't seem the best plan really. Perhaps if
    there were extra diagonal struts between the seat base and the rails,
    that grade of steel would have sufficed but as t is it leaves a little
    to be desired. So tomorrow morning I'll be on the phone to
    unicycle.uk.com to see about a replacement. Although I'm not too sure
    I'll bother with another rail adaptor, I might just go for the regular
    attachment. I'm going to be converting my lovely, shiny new Muni to an
    airseat anyway so being able to adjust the tilt wont be massive
    bonus.

    RIght now I really need to get some sleep after doing so much riding,
    I'm feeling a little sore... even after damaging the rails after an
    hour or two of riding I'd still recommend this uni to anyone as it is
    absolutely luvverly.

    Kit

    --
    MrBoogiejuice - Loyal subject of the crown

    Clean living, fair play and devotion to the empire
    MrBoogiejuice's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5515

  4. phlegm

    phlegm Guest

  5. MrBoogiejuice wrote:
    > *Although I'm not too sure I'll bother with another rail adaptor, I
    > might just go for the regular attachment. I'm going to be converting
    > my lovely, shiny new Muni to an airseat anyway so being able to adjust
    > the tilt wont be massive bonus.
    > Kit *

    You are correct - skip it.
    I am not sure why the rail adapter is standard on the entire line
    anyway. I find very little benefit - especially for trials and street.
    Also, I have had the bad experience of sticking my middle finger through
    the rail during a seat out hop. Ouchy.
    Further, since I am tall and somewhat heavy - the rail adapter could not
    always keep itś pitch.

    I bet if you lose that particular part, you will be happier.

    --
    ChangingLINKS.com - member

    Drew Brown
    http://www.ChangingLINKS.com
    ChangingLINKS.com's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5468

  6. uni412

    uni412 Guest

    MrBoogiejuice, do the Pulse gloves have a rigid wrist support like
    Harbingers or do they just have I lot of padding near the wrist? I'm
    interested in buying a pair, if they give enough protection.

    --
    uni412 - unicycle fanatic
    uni412's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4707

  7. MrBoogiejuice wrote:
    > *It turns out I've actually broken it already. The drop I was talking
    > about bent the rails on the saddle. Buggersticks!
    >
    > I was wondering if anyone else who's got the rail adaptor has also
    > bent the rails. I fooked up the drop a little when I did it, the tyre
    > landed in a rut so I couldn't roll out and my weight went forward on
    > the saddle, thus bending the rails.
    >
    > It seems a little odd that a uni so strong everywhere else has this
    > one weak point where a lot of stress is put on. Using buttress welds
    > and not particularly great steel doesn't seem the best plan really.
    > Perhaps if there were extra diagonal struts between the seat base and
    > the rails, that grade of steel would have sufficed but as t is it
    > leaves a little to be desired. So tomorrow morning I'll be on the
    > phone to unicycle.uk.com to see about a replacement. Although I'm not
    > too sure I'll bother with another rail adaptor, I might just go for
    > the regular attachment. I'm going to be converting my lovely, shiny
    > new Muni to an airseat anyway so being able to adjust the tilt wont be
    > massive bonus.
    >
    > RIght now I really need to get some sleep after doing so much riding,
    > I'm feeling a little sore... even after damaging the rails after an
    > hour or two of riding I'd still recommend this uni to anyone as it is
    > absolutely luvverly.
    >
    > Kit *

    I have a rail adapter. It's one of the bedford/SHoward/kinport ones. It
    hasn't broken. It's set up on a CF seat and a thomson post so nothing
    around it is absorbing anything for it. It's odd that yours broke on a
    standard KH saddle. The flex helps keep things from breaking. But theres
    no way the rail should ever bend. The adapter should fail by breaking at
    one of the 4 welds if anything.

    changinglinks wrote:
    > *
    >

    > You are correct - skip it.
    > I am not sure why the rail adapter is standard on the entire line
    > anyway. I find very little benefit - especially for trials and
    > street.
    > Also, I have had the bad experience of sticking my middle finger
    > through the rail during a seat out hop. Ouchy.
    > Further, since I am tall and somewhat heavy - the rail adapter could
    > not always keep itś pitch.
    >
    > I bet if you lose that particular part, you will be happier.*

    I use mine for trials and really like it. It makes the seat a TON more
    comfortable. It forces you to grip the seat farther back for seat out
    hops, which is a good habit. It allows you to run the seat lower for
    street because the handle can be in the same place with the seat lower.
    Also, the parts are generally stronger.

    --
    TheObieOne3226 - Owns you, SWAT does, mmmm

    'SWAT Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/SWAT)
    'SWAT webpage' (singlewheeledattackteam.1hwy.com)

    AIM/ICQ:TheObieOne3226
    Yahoo:TheObieOne3226
    MSN:[email protected]

    disclaimer: the above message was not intended to offend anyone. if you
    are offended i can take no responsibility for my actions because i don't
    feel like it. also you are reading an internet newsgroup where not
    everyone will share your same views and beliefs, be able to take
    criticism and post/read threads at your own risk.

  8. uni412 wrote:
    > *MrBoogiejuice, do the Pulse gloves have a rigid wrist support like
    > Harbingers or do they just have I lot of padding near the wrist? I'm
    > interested in buying a pair, if they give enough protection. *

    Yeah, they have a splint on the back of the wrist, they give more than
    enough support. I'd recommend you get a pair, they're wicked.

    Obie: I'd have thought the welds would be the butt weld that went
    too....but no. I fixed it though, stuck it in a vice and gave it some
    elbow grease and all is now well. I've been liking the tilty backness of
    the seat for the reasons you gave...paricularly the xtra height on the
    handle. I think I'm going to stick the seat off my KH with the rails
    onto my trials when I go out doing street/trials stuff.

    Kit

    --

  9. TheObieOne3226 wrote:
    > *I have a rail adapter. It's one of the bedford/SHoward/kinport ones.
    > It hasn't broken.*

    My kinport has been durable also.

    > *I use mine for trials and really like it. It makes the seat a TON
    > more comfortable. *

    I use an airseat - which has a sloped feel to it.

    > *It forces you to grip the seat farther back for seat out hops, which
    > is a good habit.*

    Correct. However, I grip the seat farther back - while not being FORCED
    to do it. Also, Ryan Atkins grips the seat at the back in U2, and he was
    running NO air and NO adapter. Anyone can grip the seat at the back -
    without the threat of losing the end of a finger.

    > *It allows you to run the seat lower for street because the handle can
    > be in the same place with the seat lower. *

    I never thought of that.

    > *Also, the parts are generally stronger. *

    Stronger than the original poster`s? Yes.
    However, I still had trouble maintaining the angle no matter how much I
    tightened it because I am heavy.

    --

  10. ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
    > *Stronger than the original poster`s? Yes.
    > However, I still had trouble maintaining the angle no matter how much
    > I tightened it because I am heavy. *

    Hmmm...that's strange. How heavy are you? I'm 235 and I go pretty big.
    Mine stays put. What post do you have? If you have a single bolted one,
    that is likely your problem. Either get a double bolt one or one of the
    ones with teeth in the adjustments. Can't adjust those as much, but it
    should stay put. The 2 bolt ones are optimal.

    --

  11. TheObieOne3226 wrote:
    > *Hmmm...that's strange. How heavy are you? I'm 235 and I go pretty
    > big. Mine stays put. What post do you have? If you have a single
    > bolted one, that is likely your problem. Either get a double bolt one
    > or one of the ones with teeth in the adjustments. Can't adjust those
    > as much, but it should stay put. The 2 bolt ones are optimal. *

    I DO have the single bolted one - was not aware that there are others.
    Still, thanks (really) but no thanks. I had the ability to change the
    angle long enough to determine that I simply prefer the default angle.