MMMmmmmmMunilicious

MrBoogiejuice

Guest
Today Santa came early for me. My new KH24 Freeride was delivered by a
man who's arms nearly got ripped from his sockets! So I thought I'd give
some first impressions: First off it's very easy on the eye in a pretty
yet sturdy sort of way. I was impressed with the bearing housings too.
They're really solid and there are no bits of screw protruding anywhere
as the srewheads sit in little recesses. The hub is MASSIVE, I'm sure
it's nearly the diameter of a rolling pin. The tyre is rather marvellous
too; I was doing some natural trials on some rocks and even covered in
mud it still stuck to the rocks like nobodies business. I've not really
experimented with the rail adaptor yet. Although I had to fiddle about
with it a bit after the nose of the saddle got knocked downwards when I
did a drop not more than 4 ft, so anyone buying one, check the tightness
of the saddle before you do drops.

I also got some of the new kh pulse gloves and they seem pretty funky.
Comfortable, but you've still got loads of support and movement. I went
for the medium size as I wasn't really sure how hands are measured, and
they seem fine. A little tight, but they'll stretch.

My one concern is the number of Kris Holm signatures I now display when
I'm riding: One on each leg, two on the rim, two on the frame, two on
the seatpost, one on the saddle, one on each crank, one on the hub and
two on each hand...that's 14 altogether!!! Ah well, I suppose if I'm
going to adorn my self with someone's name...repeatedly. then Kris
Holm's is better than most others.

All in all it's a wonderful machine and I'd reccomend it to anyone. I'll
have some photos posted soon of it nice and muddy.

Kit (a very happy badger)

--
MrBoogiejuice - Loyal subject of the crown

Clean living, fair play and devotion to the empire
MrBoogiejuice's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5515

It turns out I've actually broken it already. The drop I was talking
about bent the rails on the saddle. Buggersticks!

I was wondering if anyone else who's got the rail adaptor has also bent
the rails. I fooked up the drop a little when I did it, the tyre landed
in a rut so I couldn't roll out and my weight went forward on the
saddle, thus bending the rails.

It seems a little odd that a uni so strong everywhere else has this one
weak point where a lot of stress is put on. Using buttress welds and not
particularly great steel doesn't seem the best plan really. Perhaps if
there were extra diagonal struts between the seat base and the rails,
that grade of steel would have sufficed but as t is it leaves a little
to be desired. So tomorrow morning I'll be on the phone to
unicycle.uk.com to see about a replacement. Although I'm not too sure
I'll bother with another rail adaptor, I might just go for the regular
attachment. I'm going to be converting my lovely, shiny new Muni to an
airseat anyway so being able to adjust the tilt wont be massive
bonus.

RIght now I really need to get some sleep after doing so much riding,
I'm feeling a little sore... even after damaging the rails after an
hour or two of riding I'd still recommend this uni to anyone as it is
absolutely luvverly.

Kit

--

MrBoogiejuice wrote:
> *Although I'm not too sure I'll bother with another rail adaptor, I
> might just go for the regular attachment. I'm going to be converting
> my lovely, shiny new Muni to an airseat anyway so being able to adjust
> the tilt wont be massive bonus.
> Kit *

You are correct - skip it.
I am not sure why the rail adapter is standard on the entire line
anyway. I find very little benefit - especially for trials and street.
Also, I have had the bad experience of sticking my middle finger through
the rail during a seat out hop. Ouchy.
Further, since I am tall and somewhat heavy - the rail adapter could not
always keep itś pitch.

I bet if you lose that particular part, you will be happier.

--
ChangingLINKS.com - member

Drew Brown
http://www.ChangingLINKS.com
ChangingLINKS.com's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5468

MrBoogiejuice wrote:
> *It turns out I've actually broken it already. The drop I was talking
> about bent the rails on the saddle. Buggersticks!
>
> I was wondering if anyone else who's got the rail adaptor has also
> bent the rails. I fooked up the drop a little when I did it, the tyre
> landed in a rut so I couldn't roll out and my weight went forward on
> the saddle, thus bending the rails.
>
> It seems a little odd that a uni so strong everywhere else has this
> one weak point where a lot of stress is put on. Using buttress welds
> and not particularly great steel doesn't seem the best plan really.
> Perhaps if there were extra diagonal struts between the seat base and
> the rails, that grade of steel would have sufficed but as t is it
> leaves a little to be desired. So tomorrow morning I'll be on the
> phone to unicycle.uk.com to see about a replacement. Although I'm not
> too sure I'll bother with another rail adaptor, I might just go for
> the regular attachment. I'm going to be converting my lovely, shiny
> new Muni to an airseat anyway so being able to adjust the tilt wont be
> massive bonus.
>
> RIght now I really need to get some sleep after doing so much riding,
> I'm feeling a little sore... even after damaging the rails after an
> hour or two of riding I'd still recommend this uni to anyone as it is
> absolutely luvverly.
>
> Kit *

I have a rail adapter. It's one of the bedford/SHoward/kinport ones. It
hasn't broken. It's set up on a CF seat and a thomson post so nothing
around it is absorbing anything for it. It's odd that yours broke on a
standard KH saddle. The flex helps keep things from breaking. But theres
no way the rail should ever bend. The adapter should fail by breaking at
one of the 4 welds if anything.

changinglinks wrote:
> *
>

> You are correct - skip it.
> I am not sure why the rail adapter is standard on the entire line
> anyway. I find very little benefit - especially for trials and
> street.
> Also, I have had the bad experience of sticking my middle finger
> through the rail during a seat out hop. Ouchy.
> Further, since I am tall and somewhat heavy - the rail adapter could
> not always keep itś pitch.
>
> I bet if you lose that particular part, you will be happier.*

I use mine for trials and really like it. It makes the seat a TON more
comfortable. It forces you to grip the seat farther back for seat out
hops, which is a good habit. It allows you to run the seat lower for
street because the handle can be in the same place with the seat lower.
Also, the parts are generally stronger.

--
TheObieOne3226 - Owns you, SWAT does, mmmm

'SWAT Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/SWAT)
'SWAT webpage' (singlewheeledattackteam.1hwy.com)

AIM/ICQ:TheObieOne3226
Yahoo:TheObieOne3226
MSN:[email protected]

disclaimer: the above message was not intended to offend anyone. if you
are offended i can take no responsibility for my actions because i don't
feel like it. also you are reading an internet newsgroup where not
everyone will share your same views and beliefs, be able to take
criticism and post/read threads at your own risk.

uni412 wrote:
> *MrBoogiejuice, do the Pulse gloves have a rigid wrist support like
> Harbingers or do they just have I lot of padding near the wrist? I'm
> interested in buying a pair, if they give enough protection. *

Yeah, they have a splint on the back of the wrist, they give more than
enough support. I'd recommend you get a pair, they're wicked.

Obie: I'd have thought the welds would be the butt weld that went
too....but no. I fixed it though, stuck it in a vice and gave it some
elbow grease and all is now well. I've been liking the tilty backness of
the seat for the reasons you gave...paricularly the xtra height on the
handle. I think I'm going to stick the seat off my KH with the rails
onto my trials when I go out doing street/trials stuff.

Kit

--

TheObieOne3226 wrote:
> *I have a rail adapter. It's one of the bedford/SHoward/kinport ones.
> It hasn't broken.*

My kinport has been durable also.

> *I use mine for trials and really like it. It makes the seat a TON
> more comfortable. *

I use an airseat - which has a sloped feel to it.

> *It forces you to grip the seat farther back for seat out hops, which
> is a good habit.*

Correct. However, I grip the seat farther back - while not being FORCED
to do it. Also, Ryan Atkins grips the seat at the back in U2, and he was
running NO air and NO adapter. Anyone can grip the seat at the back -
without the threat of losing the end of a finger.

> *It allows you to run the seat lower for street because the handle can
> be in the same place with the seat lower. *

I never thought of that.

> *Also, the parts are generally stronger. *

Stronger than the original poster`s? Yes.
However, I still had trouble maintaining the angle no matter how much I
tightened it because I am heavy.

--

ChangingLINKS.com wrote:
> *Stronger than the original poster`s? Yes.
> However, I still had trouble maintaining the angle no matter how much
> I tightened it because I am heavy. *

Hmmm...that's strange. How heavy are you? I'm 235 and I go pretty big.
Mine stays put. What post do you have? If you have a single bolted one,
that is likely your problem. Either get a double bolt one or one of the
ones with teeth in the adjustments. Can't adjust those as much, but it
should stay put. The 2 bolt ones are optimal.

--

TheObieOne3226 wrote:
> *Hmmm...that's strange. How heavy are you? I'm 235 and I go pretty
> big. Mine stays put. What post do you have? If you have a single
> bolted one, that is likely your problem. Either get a double bolt one
> or one of the ones with teeth in the adjustments. Can't adjust those
> as much, but it should stay put. The 2 bolt ones are optimal. *

I DO have the single bolted one - was not aware that there are others.
Still, thanks (really) but no thanks. I had the ability to change the
angle long enough to determine that I simply prefer the default angle.