MMP Chart Max Power Query

Porkyboy

Apr 28, 2006
Hi

Wonder if anyone can shed any light on this.

During a ride today I somehow managed to produce a peak power higher than I have previously hit, the peak is clearly visible on the ride data graph. For some reason the new peak has not appeared on the MMP chart and I can't understand why. My only thought is that perhaps the output may have to be maintained for a certain period of time in order to register?

Thanks for any insights, graph attached.

PBUK

Porkyboy said:
Hi

During a ride today I somehow managed to produce a peak power higher than I have previously hit, the peak is clearly visible on the ride data graph. For some reason the new peak has not appeared on the MMP chart and I can't understand why. My only thought is that perhaps the output may have to be maintained for a certain period of time in order to register?

PBUK

Isn't the chart 5sec power? If so, while you may have a new peak, it may not be a new 5sec power record.... ;) It looks very peaky so it probably wasn't a real high 5 sec number. Congrats though on the new high peak!

Porkyboy said:
Hi

PBUK
Create a new MMP chart.

You can have two MMP lines. On one choose a date range for the season, or all dates or whatever. On the other, just use the date for that ride. Then compare and see whether the lines touch anywhere.

Porkyboy said:
I'm guessing it's a settings issue within the chart. If you have your chart setup to display normalized power then you won't see a peak like that.

Hi Frenchyge

frenchyge said:
I'm guessing it's a settings issue within the chart. If you have your chart setup to display normalized power then you won't see a peak like that.
HEY THAT'S WEIRD! As you suggested I checked the settings and I did have it set on power rather than normalised power so that's Ok, but..... Decided to try changing the scale from log to linear and the new peak was shown so that improved things though as we know the linear scale is not really that helpful but I at least knew it was now looking at all the data.

So, I then changed it back to a log scale and lo and behold the curves were redrawn and the new peak is now registering. The only explanation I can come up with is that somehow the linear redraw and then the log redraw has somehow "refreshed" the graph view. I'm glad I did it because several other parts of the graphs look different now and it looks as if the whole thing has benefitted from being refreshed.

Worth trying? Sure beats hard training to improve your numbers! :D

Cheers,

PBUK

Porkyboy said:
So, I then changed it back to a log scale and lo and behold the curves were redrawn and the new peak is now registering. The only explanation I can come up with is that somehow the linear redraw and then the log redraw has somehow "refreshed" the graph view.
Yes, that's one way to get new data to show up. Another is to save the ride file. The data from a downloaded file will not show up in the plots on the Athlete Page until you save that file. However, that would not have helped you here since you had th plot on NP not AP.

Steve_B said:
Yes, that's one way to get new data to show up. Another is to save the ride file. The data from a downloaded file will not show up in the plots on the Athlete Page until you save that file. However, that would not have helped you here since you had th plot on NP not AP.
Hi

I had saved the file, and I had the plot on power, not normalised power. That's why I thought it was odd that the data didn't get picked up and displayed.

Cheers,

PBUK

Porkyboy said:
Hi

PBUK
"Last 28 Days" MMP charts (and probably "Last 7 Days" charts) do not update automatically and need to be updated manually. The date range doesn't change so you will only see the 28 days previous to the last time you manually updated the chart. - TF

Terry Ferguson said:
"Last 28 Days" MMP charts ... do not update automatically and need to be updated manually.
Are you sure about that? I have one chart set to "last 28 days" on one curve and the "whole season" on the other curve. It updated on me seemingly automatically earlier this week. I don't remember doing anything to it and some data from 28 days earlier fell "out of the time window" and left the chart.

Does zooming on a chart refresh it? If so, that may have done it. (Yes, I realize that I can check this myself but I can't think of a way to set the conditions right now that doesn't involve waiting until midnight or advancing my PC's clock, which I don't want to do for other reasons. )

Steve_B said:
Are you sure about that? I have one chart set to "last 28 days" on one curve and the "whole season" on the other curve. It updated on me seemingly automatically earlier this week. I don't remember doing anything to it and some data from 28 days earlier fell "out of the time window" and left the chart.

Does zooming on a chart refresh it? If so, that may have done it. (Yes, I realize that I can check this myself but I can't think of a way to set the conditions right now that doesn't involve waiting until midnight or advancing my PC's clock, which I don't want to do for other reasons. )
Mine does not and I can easily reproduce it. Try this with your 'Last 28 Days' and "This Season" combined chart:

-Open your last ride file. (I assume that it is within the last 28 days.)
-Change 15 consecutive data points to 2000 watts. (Record what they are so that you can change them back.) Save the 'Ride'.
-Look at your double graph. On mine, the "This Season" graph will show the 2000 watts out to 15 seconds but the "Last 28 Days" chart will not change.
-Change the data back.

Also, remember that this assumes that you have NOT 'manually updated' (i.e. changed the chart parameters) since the day before this last ride. If you have, then this ride will be within the recognized 28 days and it will change also.

Zooming will NOT update the data. I update by Options>Customize This Chart, changing the "Last 28 Days" to "Last 7 Days", 'Apply', back to "Last 28 Days" and 'Close'. Also, remember that 'updating' the zoomed chart does not 'update' the saved chart.

Let me know your result.

Sample charts attached.

TF