MN: St Paul ) Duluth ) Grand Marais ?

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Folklore, May 23, 2003.

  1. Folklore

    Folklore Guest

    My son (13yo) and I are planning a ride this summer from St Paul to Duluth and then possibly to
    Grand Marais.

    Does anyone know how much of the northshore (Gitchigami?) trail is paved? Condition? How bad is it
    riding along the northshore on 61?

    Any advice/recommendations on any part of this ride gladly welcome.

    Thanks,

    Folk...

    Tags:

  2. Shade

    Shade Guest

    I have driven north from Duluth via 61 many times. Never biked. There is an unpaved-hard packed
    trail (incomplete) for some of the way. It is highway 61 most of the way.

    The highway is much improved from years past but it is still not very bike friendly. (narrow
    shoulders in places) . It might be best to plan your trip mid-week . The highway is narow and
    twists a bit after Silver Bay and well traveled Friday to Sunday by RVs going to Canada.

    Good Luck.

    "Folklore" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > My son (13yo) and I are planning a ride this summer from St Paul to Duluth and then possibly to
    > Grand Marais.
    >
    > Does anyone know how much of the northshore (Gitchigami?) trail is paved? Condition? How bad is it
    > riding along the northshore on 61?
    >
    > Any advice/recommendations on any part of this ride gladly welcome.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Folk...

  3. I biked around Lake Superior in 2000, and do not recall that Minnesota presented any particular
    problems. For the most parrt, there was a couple feet of pavement to the right of the painted line.
    I did go through there on a weekday, so I can't comment on weekend traffic. Hills weren't bad either
    except for one big one just before Canada. Both roads and hills were worst in the Nipigon - Marathon
    stretch of Ontario. There were also more semis there. "Shade" <[email protected]> wrote in