MOAB explodes!

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Scribe2b, Mar 10, 2003.

  1. Scribe2b

    Scribe2b Guest

    When and if the United States does go to war, military sources say the United States is preparing a
    monster new weapon to be used during the first nights. It's called MOAB, short for "massive ordnance
    air burst" bomb. It is a modern, bigger version of the 15,000-pound "Daisy Cutter" used in Vietnam,
    the Persian Gulf War and Afghanistan. Sources say MOAB -- still experimental -- is a 21,000-pound
    bomb that will be pushed out the back of a C-130 transport and guided by satellite. Because it is
    not dropped by parachute, as was the old Daisy Cutter, the aircraft can let it go from far higher
    altitudes, making it safer for U.S. pilots. The MOAB's massive explosive punch, sources say, is
    similar to a small nuclear weapon.

    Tags:

  2. Pete Jones

    Pete Jones Guest

    On 10 Mar 2003 17:09:50 GMT, [email protected] (Scribe2b) blathered:

    >When and if the United States does go to war, military sources say the United States is preparing a
    >monster new weapon to be used during the first nights. It's called MOAB, short for "massive
    >ordnance air burst" bomb. It is a modern, bigger version of the 15,000-pound "Daisy Cutter" used in
    >Vietnam, the Persian Gulf War and Afghanistan. Sources say MOAB -- still experimental -- is a
    >21,000-pound bomb that will be pushed out the back of a C-130 transport and guided by satellite.
    >Because it is not dropped by parachute, as was the old Daisy Cutter, the aircraft can let it go
    >from far higher altitudes, making it safer for U.S. pilots. The MOAB's massive explosive punch,
    >sources say, is similar to a small nuclear weapon.

    You missed the best spin on the story though:
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story2&cid=583&ncid=583&e=10&u=/nm/20030228/od_nm/moab_dc

    Do you think they'll sue?

    As a mate here said -

    "That's good. Use a name with strong Christian/ Jewish connotations to bomb Iraq. Beautifully
    thought out. Probably the same person who came up with The War Against Terrorism..."

    Pete
    ----
    http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

  3. John G

    John G Guest

    Pete Jones wrote:
    > On 10 Mar 2003 17:09:50 GMT, [email protected] (Scribe2b) blathered:

    >>Sources say MOAB -- still experimental -- is a 21,000-pound bomb that will be pushed out the back
    >>of a C-130 transport and guided by satellite.

    And I though it was just JD floating wind biscuits the morning after tangling with a bean borrito
    from the La Hacienda, and some Eddie McSriff's Canyon Cream Ale.

  4. U Reach

    U Reach Guest

    On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 13:01:10 -0500, John G <[email protected]> blurted:

    >Pete Jones wrote:
    >> On 10 Mar 2003 17:09:50 GMT, [email protected] (Scribe2b) blathered:
    >
    >>>Sources say MOAB -- still experimental -- is a 21,000-pound bomb that will be pushed out the back
    >>>of a C-130 transport and guided by satellite.
    >
    >And I though it was just JD floating wind biscuits the morning after tangling with a bean borrito
    >from the La Hacienda, and some Eddie McSriff's Canyon Cream Ale.

    Do you really, though?

    --
    "<the spurs are the best team ever>" -Louise [email protected], 2/2/3

  5. John G

    John G Guest

    U Reach, i Teach, Beech! wrote:
    > Do you really, though?

    Did I stutter?

  6. Zippy

    Zippy Guest

    John G <[email protected]> wrote:

  7. Sean S

    Sean S Guest

    >From: [email protected] (Scribe2b)

    >The MOAB's massive explosive punch, sources say, is similar to a small nuclear weapon.

    According to military sources, the MOAB also produces a mushroom cloud. Between it, and the initial
    shock wave from the explosion, the weapon holds significant psychological warfare impact...

  8. Lightweight

    Lightweight Guest

    "Sean S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >From: [email protected] (Scribe2b)
    >
    > >The MOAB's massive explosive punch, sources say, is similar to a small nuclear weapon.
    >
    > According to military sources, the MOAB also produces a mushroom cloud. Between it, and the
    > initial shock wave from the explosion, the weapon
    holds
    > significant psychological warfare impact...

    As well as does any bomb that weighs as much as 9 of my cars. Is this the type of bomb that is
    similar in damage to one big ass frag grenade? I remember hearing something about the daisy cutters
    blowing shrapnel over large areas, a hideous weapon. I also thought they were outlawed in a treaty??
    I don't guess Bush much minds.

  9. Loki

    Loki New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2003

    Hmm...and what happens when uneducated military personell on the other side think the MOAB explosion is actually a nuclear explosion and launch a nuclear counter-attack? :(

    I thought MOAB = Mother Of All Bombs ;)

  10. L Hays

    L Hays Guest

    "Lightweight" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Sean S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > >From: [email protected] (Scribe2b)
    > >
    > > >The MOAB's massive explosive punch, sources say, is similar to a small nuclear weapon.
    > >
    > > According to military sources, the MOAB also produces a mushroom cloud. Between it, and the
    > > initial shock wave from the explosion, the weapon
    > holds
    > > significant psychological warfare impact...
    >
    > As well as does any bomb that weighs as much as 9 of my cars. Is this the type of bomb that is
    > similar in damage to one big ass frag grenade? I remember hearing something about the daisy
    > cutters blowing shrapnel over large areas, a hideous weapon. I also thought they were outlawed in
    > a treaty?? I don't guess Bush much minds.

    The shrapnel is only the casing of the bomb itself. The real damage is created by the blast wave.
    The 12k of explosives inside are a ammonium nitrate gel, aluminum powder, and polystyrene that
    combust above ground to clear areas for landing zones for helicopters. These are not *intended* for
    anti-personnel except in the case of psychological warfare and we just scare the bejeesus out of the
    enemy and hope it takes away their will to fight. BTW, the "daisy cutter" itself is the 38" fuse on
    the nose of the BLU-82 that causes it to explode above the ground as not to create a crater. For
    what it's worth, I'd rather take a shot from one of these than a .50 cal any day.

    Lance

  11. L Hays

    L Hays Guest

    "Sean S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >From: "Lightweight" [email protected]
    >
    > >As well as does any bomb that weighs as much as 9 of my cars. Is this
    the
    > >type of bomb that is similar in damage to one big ass frag grenade? I remember hearing something
    > >about the daisy cutters blowing shrapnel over large areas, a hideous weapon.
    >
    > I'd have to double check, but I believe the newer bomb relies more on the
    force
    > of the initial concussion for the bulk of its damage...

    The new bomb is the same as the old bomb.

    Lance

  12. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "L Hays" <[email protected]> wrote

    > The shrapnel is only the casing of the bomb itself. The real damage is created by the blast wave.
    > The 12k of explosives inside are a ammonium nitrate gel, aluminum powder, and polystyrene that
    > combust above ground to clear areas for landing zones for helicopters. These are not *intended*
    for
    > anti-personnel except in the case of psychological warfare and we just
    scare
    > the bejeesus out of the enemy and hope it takes away their will to fight. BTW, the "daisy cutter"
    > itself is the 38" fuse on the nose of the BLU-82 that causes it to explode above the ground as not
    > to create a crater. For what it's worth, I'd rather take a shot from one of these than a .50 cal
    any
    > day.
    >
    > Lance

    Thank you. This thread needed a little actual facts.

    Pete

  13. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "Loki" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Hmm...and what happens when uneducated military personell on the other side think the MOAB
    > explosion is actually a nuclear explosion and launch a nuclear counter-attack? :(

    Being in the Iraqi military != uneducated. The military leaders know what is and what is not a
    nucelear explosion.

    Their CinC, OTOH, while not uneducated, is severly misguided.

    Pete

  14. Critic

    Critic Guest

    "Loki" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Sean S wrote:
    > > >From: [email protected] (Scribe2b) The MOAB's massive explosive punch, sources say, is similar
    > > >to a
    small
    > > >nuclear weapon.
    > > According to military sources, the MOAB also produces a mushroom
    cloud.
    > > Between it, and the initial shock wave from the explosion, the weapon holds significant
    > > psychological warfare impact...
    >

    > Hmm...and what happens when uneducated military personell on the other side think the MOAB
    > explosion is actually a nuclear explosion and launch a nuclear counter-attack? :(

    Why, we all know that Saddam has no nukes. After all, he said so.

  15. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Pete wrote:

    >>Hmm...and what happens when uneducated military personell on the other side think the MOAB
    >>explosion is actually a nuclear explosion and launch a nuclear counter-attack? :(
    >

    > Being in the Iraqi military != uneducated. The military leaders know what is and what is not a
    > nucelear explosion.

    Besides, it's irrelevent in the case of Iraq. They don't have nuclear capabilities and the stories
    of Saddam trying to buy uranium were completely fabricated by US and UK intelligence.

  16. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Critic wrote:

    >>Hmm...and what happens when uneducated military personell on the other side think the MOAB
    >>explosion is actually a nuclear explosion and launch a nuclear counter-attack? :(
    >>

    > Why, we all know that Saddam has no nukes. After all, he said so.

    That and the fact that the UN have shown the US / UK 'intelligence' about Iraq trying to purchase
    nuclear was fabricated.

  17. Loki

    Loki New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2003
    I wasn't referring particularly to Iraq....just an observation in general.

  18. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > The shrapnel is only the casing of the bomb itself. The real damage is created by the blast wave.
    > The 12k of explosives inside are a ammonium nitrate gel, aluminum powder, and polystyrene that
    > combust above ground to clear areas for landing zones for helicopters. These are not *intended*
    for
    > anti-personnel except in the case of psychological warfare and we just
    scare
    > the bejeesus out of the enemy and hope it takes away their will to fight. BTW, the "daisy cutter"
    > itself is the 38" fuse on the nose of the BLU-82 that causes it to explode above the ground as not
    > to create a crater. For what it's worth, I'd rather take a shot from one of these than a .50 cal
    any
    > day.

    It's a good thing the Iraqis don't have internet access since CNN is plastering the fact the bomb is
    relatively harmless and meant to intimidate more than do any real damage.

    D'OH!

  19. Jeff Engel

    Jeff Engel Guest

    I love it!

    One MOAB on every block of Bagdad would just about do the trick.

    Peace through superior firepower AND better mountainbikes.

  20. Reco Diver

    Reco Diver Guest

    "L Hays" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Sean S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > >From: "Lightweight" [email protected]
    >
    > > >As well as does any bomb that weighs as much as 9 of my cars. Is this
    > the
    > > >type of bomb that is similar in damage to one big ass frag grenade? I remember hearing
    > > >something about the daisy cutters blowing shrapnel over large areas, a hideous weapon.
    > >
    > > I'd have to double check, but I believe the newer bomb relies more on the
    > force
    > > of the initial concussion for the bulk of its damage...
    >
    > The new bomb is the same as the old bomb.

    The new bomb is different in its size and guidance system. That said, it is similar in that it is a
    designed to create a lateral blast with ~1,000 psi overpressure developed near ground zero. It is
    also similar since it is a GSX slurry device and not an FAE.