Moab: Which ride on Saturday?

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by litldude2, Jan 16, 2006.

  1. litldude2

    litldude2 Guest

    results, please visit http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/46123
    Question: Which Moab ride on Saturday?

    - Pedallers
    - Hoppers
    - Pedallers on steroids
    - Novice riders
    - Back end riders
    - Not going to Moab :(

    Ok, so the 2006 Moab info is now posted on moabmunifest.com and the ride
    on Saturday is split up into different groups so I decided to see what
    group everyone was going to be in so if I go I can choose better.

    Here is the info right from the site:

    moabmunifest.com wrote:

    > Saturday, March 25th: Main Riding Day. Porcupine Rim Trail
    > (http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/index.htm, select Moab Area
    > then Porcupine Rim Trail) There will be at least 5 variations on this
    > ride which will hopefully account for differing riding abilities. You
    > simply decide which rider group you want to ride with from the
    > following list:
    >

    > *Pedallers* – (will complete the 15.6 mile ride of the Porcupine
    > Rim trail proper) Meet at Lions Trail Hub, on the Colorado River at
    > 9:00am (exit point for Porcupine Rim Trail) and plane to shuttle to the
    > Porcupine Rim Trail head for a 10:00 am start with the rest of the
    > riders below (except Back-End-Riders)
    > *Hoppers* – (will complete a 7-8 mile loop of the Porcupine Rim
    > Trail and a new section on it called the Lower Porcupine Single track
    > or LPS for short) meet at 10:00am at Porcupine Rim trailhead on Sand
    > Flats road. We would like as many Hoppers as have room in their cars
    > to meet at 9 am with the Pedallers at the Lions Trail Hub to help
    > shuttle the Pedallers to the Porcupine Rim trailhead. When done
    > ridding, Hoppers will end up back at their own cars and will therefore
    > not need shuttle services for themselves.
    > *Pedallers-On-Steroids* – (will complete 20 miles including most
    > of the Hoppers and Pedallers routes) Meet with the Pedallers at Lions
    > Trail Hub, on the Colorado River at 9:00 am and plane to shuttle with
    > the Pedallers to the Porcupine Rim Trail head for a 10:00 am start with
    > the rest of the riders below (except Back-End-Riders)
    > *Novice-Riders* – (6 mile out and back, 1000ft gain) these riders
    > will ride along with the Pedallers to the Castle Valley overlook but
    > then simply double back to the Porcupine Rim trailhead parking. Meet
    > with the Hoppers at 10:00am at Porcupine Rim trailhead on Sand Flats
    > road. If you have room for helping shuttle the Pedallers plan to meet
    > at 9 am with the Pedallers at the Lions Trail Hub.
    > *Back-End-Riders* – (no distance commitment, starts at the end of
    > the Porcupine Rim Trail and works backwards) These riders can enjoy the
    > single track assent and descent at the end of the Porcupine Rim Trail
    > and do any distance of out and back from the end of the Porcupine Rim
    > Trail that they desire. It would be possible for these riders to leave
    > later than the others and simply ride till they run in to the Pedallers
    > and just turn around and ride back with them.

    It's a public poll so everyone can see what you are doing.

    --
    litldude2

    Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer
    Litldude2 (att) aol (dott) com
    _____________________________

    chosen wrote:
    > wish i could be in a signature...*sigh*

  2. James_Potter

    James_Potter Guest

    if i go...and its actually starting to look a little like i might be
    able to :)
    then i'd probably be in one of the lesser ones. mostly because i don't
    have a proper MUni, just a 20" and a coker, and I doubt a coker would
    be good for a long distance MUni trip, even though mine does now have
    an airfoil rim and extra wide hub...so I'll just be bringing my 20",
    and do the Novice Riders or Hoppers.
    that is, if i go.

    --
    James_Potter

    to give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.

    michael atkinson
    mdotedotatkinsonatgmaildotcom
    President of the '_MRIS_' (http://tinyurl.com/dk2de)

  3. Fuego

    Fuego Guest

    I clicked steroids, because I wanna try it. Not sure if I'd make it, but
    meh.

    I'm 100% of the vote!

    --
    Fuego

    "Get off my Property before you sue me!"
    -Morons everywhere.

    "Wow, I think it's clear that gimp does a much better job of saving
    gifs than mspaint."
    -Phlegm
    Fuego's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6983

  4. litldude2

    litldude2 Guest

    Yeah, I didn't vote yet because thats the reason I made the poll, to see
    what I want to do;)

    --

    chosen wrote:
    > wish i could be in a signature...*sigh*

  5. I don't like long huge distance rides, I'd rather do a fun technical
    ride....

    I'll probally go were everyone else is going... Maybe hoppers, I dunno

    Dang its too confusing. We'll definitly be there for all the friday
    rides.

    --
    forrestunifreak

    'My gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)

    www.seattlebikesupply.com

  6. maxisback

    maxisback Guest

    somebody help me out.. I wanna go to MOAB but how will I get to the
    airport (slt take) to there ? who is giving you guys a ride ?

    --
    maxisback

    Quiters never win, winners never quit , the ones who never win and never
    quit are just dumb
    maxisback's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10885

  7. maxisback

    maxisback Guest

  8. musketman

    musketman Guest

  9. KcTheAcy

    KcTheAcy Guest

    I don't really know either, Is the "hoppers" trail more fun or
    something? Does it have more formations to play on? I did the practice
    loop this summer. I also hae ridden some of Bartlet wash. I definitely
    don't want to do the long one, which ever one has the coolest "side
    stops" would be my choice.

    ^I realize that didn't make any sense.

    --
    KcTheAcy
    KcTheAcy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5003

  10. litldude2

    litldude2 Guest

    My guess is that the "hoppers" would spend more time on trials lines and
    stuff and the pedallers would just keep riding the whole time. That
    would explain why they hoppers don't make it as far.

    --

    chosen wrote:
    > wish i could be in a signature...*sigh*

  11. abbabibble

    abbabibble Guest

    That's what ima gonna do, hoppers, i think...

    god i can't wait!
    I just printed out and filled out hte registration form and i m
    spelling increctily because i can't think straigh t i'm so excited!

    --
    abbabibble

    Cheers, Mat.
    BUY SUPERUNI SHIRTS ON ZAZZLE.COM!
    'Whatever you do, DON'T click this link. Unless you have like, an hour
    to do some serious buying of shirts. I'm serious. DON'T CLICK IT.'
    (http://tinyurl.com/954wy)
    --"to maxis: STOP. GRAMMAR TIME." -Fwgen0moB?
    "abababilbel" - General Dibbles
    abbabibble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10751

  12. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    Maybe this will help some. I've done this ride a total of once, and not
    the whole thing, so I'm not an expert, but this should add to the
    information to help riders decide.

    We did the Porcupine Rim three years back, with Nick Brazzi along
    making his video (Blood, Sweat and Wheels). For anyone who's seen that
    video, all the Porcupine Rim footage (basically everything that's not
    from the Slickrock Trail) is from the "Novice Riders" option. That
    alone is a very fun ride, and not to be missed regardless of your
    riding level. The view of Castle Valley is easily worth the entire
    uphill! Remember those pictures of Krazy Karl on the edge of that
    monster cliff? That's where that was.

    Porcupine Rim is a long trail, with no shortcuts I'm aware of other
    than turning around. So the various riding options fit like this:
    Pedallers: Beginning to end
    Hoppers: Appears to start at a different location, and end at the
    "beginning" of the Porcupine Rim trail
    Pedallers-On-Steroids: Appears to follow the Hoppers route up to the
    main trail, then go the long way to the "end" of the Porcupine Rim
    Trail
    Novice-Riders: Beginning to Castle Valley overlook, then back down to
    beginning
    Back-End-Riders: Start from end and ride uphill as far as you want,
    then turn around

    In 2003 I did the equivalent of the Novice ride, and it was a blast.
    It's a 1000' climb from 5800 to 6800', then back down. Amazing view at
    the top. The ride up is a slog, and the ride down was really fun. Six
    miles total. I did this because I was so beat up from the previous
    days' entire Slickrock loop, followed by races and other competitions.
    But I later regretted not sticking it out for the full ride. I voted
    for the Pedallers option this time. I'd love to do the Steroids
    version, but I'm not sure if I'm up to that. The amount of uphill was
    not mentioned, and uphill at that altitude is pretty tiring!

    Don't forget to read the page about the trail, linked above. That has
    some pictures and tells more of the story. Also feel free to check out
    my Porcupine Rim pictures starting with this one:
    http://unicycling.smugmug.com/gallery/112983/11/4036536

    --
    johnfoss

    John Foss

    "Idiot America—where fact is merely that which enough people believe,
    and truth is measured only by how fervently they believe it." --
    Charles Pierce, in Esquire Magazine

  13. paco

    paco Guest

    I'm wavering between the Pedallers and the Steroids. I've only been
    able to make it to the Saturday rides before, so I'm looking forward to
    doing something else. If I train, I'm sure I can be in shape for the
    Steroids ride. But I'm wondering how fun the Steroids will be, and
    who's planning on doing that vs. the Pedallers.

    --
    paco

    Every time I see this thread I wonder what happened to Paco's back.
    -John Childs
    paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

  14. Catboy

    Catboy Guest

    If I'm not mistaken, I could ride with the hoppers, the cut off with the
    stroids, the join back with the pedalers or hoppers...

    Sounds like a fun plan to me. I'll probably be with the hoppers... My
    endurance sucks but I love doing insane muni trials.

    --
    Catboy

    'I have the amazing power to talk to cats! =^.^='
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Catboy)
    Gallery Updated: 11/11/05

    *'UPD T-Shirts SOLD OUT FOR NOW!!! (IF YOU DIDN'T BUY
    ONE, YOU SUCK!)'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44635)*:)

  15. tholub

    tholub Guest

    I have to say, I'm disappointed that we won't be doing the Slickrock
    Trail. One of the nice things about that trail (and one of the appeals
    of the Moab MUniFest in general) is that it's wide open enough that you
    can really get the feeling of riding with dozens of people. On
    singletrack, you see just the few guys near you. I'll miss that
    aspect.

    I'll probably be doing Pedallers. I did Novice in 2003 because I was
    riding on a taco'ed 29er wheel; it's certainly a fun trail, although
    it's a fairly long slog up to the top of the hill, with not a lot of
    rideable stuff for mere mortals.

    --
    tholub

  16. Tellurider

    Tellurider Guest

    I might only be riding saturday so I think I will do the peadallers and
    wear myself out. If I decide to ride on Sunday I will probably go for
    the hoppers and save some for the Sunday ride.

    --
    Tellurider

    There's a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".
    Tellurider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4972

  17. johnfoss

    johnfoss Guest

    Corrections:
    Some of what I wrote above is not accurate. I wrote that before
    realizing there was more detail on the Muni Fest web site:
    http://www.moabmunifest.com/files/MMF06_Info.htm

    The main thing about Porcupine Rim is that the ride is very long, and
    isn't easy stuff. You have to be in good condition for a long ride at
    altitude, and well-prepared with food, plenty of water, tools and spare
    tubes & stuff.

    I can't wait.

    Don't get stressed, you don't really have to decide which ride you're
    doing until the last minute. All you do have to do is make sure you've
    arranged your ride/shuttle situation. I'll probably keep it simple with
    the $10 shuttle option, unless my car rental group includes a non-rider
    or back-ender.

    --
    johnfoss

    John Foss

    "Idiot America—where fact is merely that which enough people believe,
    and truth is measured only by how fervently they believe it." --
    Charles Pierce, in Esquire Magazine

  18. briguymaine

    briguymaine Guest

    Anybody know which group I should ride with. I'm not sure I have the
    endurance (or skill!) to ride the full trail but I'd like to get back
    to Castle Valley again. So, hoppers or novice?

    Edit: Scratch that, found my answer reading the link above, der.

    BTW, I am flying into Grand Junction and will have a car if anyone
    needs a ride.

    --
    briguymaine

    Life is like a box of chocolates? I hate chocolate.
    'My blog is at www.munitard.com' (http://www.munitard.com)
    briguymaine's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9257