Mobile Bike Repair

Nelson Binch

Guest
Do any of you think it would work to offer a service as a mobile bike mechanic operating out of a
van? I have at least 10 old regulars who'd love for me to give their bikes TLC again.

The biggest hurdle I see is with the wholesalers. Most of the good ones require a bricks-and-mortar
'store' in order to do business. Perhaps they would be amenable to a proper business proposal.

What do ya'll think?

---
http://intergalax.com

Release Date: 3/17/2003

Nelson Binch wrote:
> Do any of you think it would work to offer a service as a mobile bike mechanic operating out of a
> van? I have at least 10 old regulars who'd love for me to give their bikes TLC again.
>
> The biggest hurdle I see is with the wholesalers. Most of the good ones require a
> bricks-and-mortar 'store' in order to do business. Perhaps they would be amenable to a proper
> business proposal.
>
> What do ya'll think?

There's a guy here who does that... mobile service out of a lavender VW bus. ;-)

penny

Nelson Binch wrote:
> Do any of you think it would work to offer a service as a mobile bike mechanic operating out of a
> van? I have at least 10 old regulars who'd love for me to give their bikes TLC again.

I think it would work, my motorcycle mechanic did this whne he quit the dealership. he's supported
himself rightly for 10 years now.

You might start by stocking some basic items like tubes tires chains, etc and hanging out in the
parking-lots of the popular riding places.

I do this, not for the $$$, but as a service of the MTB_Patrol.

I keep a work-stand and my truing stand, basic tool kit, etc in the back of OVLOV (Also have an
on-board compressor on a deep-cycle marine battery;-) Whenever I open up the hatch and sit out in
my canvass chair (and imbibe an after-ride barley soday ;-) sure enough someone comes along and
either asks to use my stand/tools or asks me if I can fix something for them. Whenever they ask me
"how much?" I ask if they are an IMBA or NEMBA member. If they are, I say "Thank you for your
support, no charge". If they aren't, they get a membership application stuffed in thier hands and
again I say "no charge, but you should consider joining."

> The biggest hurdle I see is with the wholesalers. Most of the good ones require a
> bricks-and-mortar 'store' in order to do business. Perhaps they would be amenable to a proper
> business proposal.

Can't hurt to ask

> What do ya'll think?

Do it!

"Nelson Binch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Do any of you think it would work to offer a service as a mobile bike mechanic operating out of a
> van? I have at least 10 old regulars who'd
love
> for me to give their bikes TLC again.
>
> The biggest hurdle I see is with the wholesalers. Most of the good ones require a
> bricks-and-mortar 'store' in order to do business.

What if you do up a web store/scheduling site? Perhaps that would pass better than just you
and a VW van.

--
Chris