Mobile phone ban

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tony Raven, Jun 24, 2003.

  1. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Tags:

  2. M Series

    M Series Guest

    I wonder if hands free phones whilst cycling is banned too

    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3015610.stm
    >
    > ...and unlike speed cameras this is one which could be enforced by people taking their own photos.
    >
    > Tony
    >
    > --
    > http://www.raven-family.com
    >
    > "All truth goes through three steps: First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed.
    > Finally, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer

  3. Martin

    Martin Guest

    "M Series" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I wonder if hands free phones whilst cycling is banned too

    AIUI from BBC news last night it is not a new law, it uses an existing requirement to not be
    distracted whilst driving/cycling; what will be new will be the new penalties.So in theory if hands
    free was deemed by el ploddo to be a distraction possibly. Should be fairly easy to hide hands free
    around helmet straps though.

  4. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], martin
    <[email protected]> typed:
    > "M Series" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> I wonder if hands free phones whilst cycling is banned too
    >
    > AIUI from BBC news last night it is not a new law, it uses an existing requirement to not be
    > distracted whilst driving/cycling; what will be new will be the new penalties.So in theory if
    > hands free was deemed by el ploddo to be a distraction possibly. Should be fairly easy to hide
    > hands free around helmet straps though.

    The BBC website article said that a new offence would come into effect in December making the use of
    a handheld mobile phone illegal while driving where it had previously had to be prosecuted for
    failing to keep proper control of their vehicle. From December using a handheld mobile phone will be
    a specific offence punishable by fines and points while using a handsfree will continue under the
    failing to keep proper control offence.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  5. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    > > AIUI from BBC news last night it is not a new law, it uses an existing requirement to not be
    > > distracted whilst driving/cycling

    > The BBC website article said that a new offence would come into effect in December making the use
    > of a handheld mobile phone illegal while driving where it had previously had to be prosecuted for
    > failing to keep proper control of their vehicle.

    That's my reading of it as well. It's a bit like DUI or speeding - the existence of an offence with
    an objective test makes prosecution easier and therefore more likely. Captain Clueless could stand
    up in court and argue that his control was not impaired, this defence vanishes if using the phone is
    itself an offence. Doubtless it will also lead to some prosecutions for the lesser offence where a
    more serius offence should be considered, though.

    I wonder if the law allows plod to check mobile phone call records after a crash to see if you were
    using hands-free?

    --
    Guy
    ===