Mobile phones in the outback

footieimp

May 17, 2005
Hi,

I am cycling around the perimeter of Oz soon, coming over from the U.K. I just wondered if there was any mobile phone reception in the outback and, if so, what the best phone / network is?

Thanks Footieimp

If you are really in need to have continuous phone contact you will need a satellite phone.

Telstra is your best option, and a CDMA phone will give the best coverage
http://www.telstra.com/countrywide/telstramobility/default.asp

However once away from regional centres, without a sat-phone you're on your own.

Since you're cycling around Australia I guess you're coming for a year or so. Enjoy ... all 15,600km of it ;) .

I'd go for a CDMA phone with Telstra. A sat phone will give you better coverage, but do you really need phone coverage all the time?

SomeGuy said:
I'd go for a CDMA phone with Telstra. A sat phone will give you better coverage, but do you really need phone coverage all the time?

You'll correct about the sat phone, but costs are very steep-ish. A friend cycled around Australia via National Highway One in 2002-03, he found that GSM worked most of the time. My partner is currently on the Bike 'n Wheels (ie: 'Burke and Wills') trip from Spencer Gulf to Gulf of Carpentaria. No GSM coverage from Hawker (SA) up to Mt Isa (QLD) The trip organisers have a sat phone for basic contact & emergencies. BTW, they're going to try to call Australia All Over this Sunday morning (22/5).

footieimp said:
Hi,

I am cycling around the perimeter of Oz soon, coming over from the U.K. I just wondered if there was any mobile phone reception in the outback and, if so, what the best phone / network is?

Thanks Footieimp
Telstra (our dinosaur of a monopolistic phone company) has one good thing going for it - its rural mobile network. Should keep you in touch while near major highways but will still be useless in the outback. You'd need a sat phone for those areas and I believe they are quite expensive.