Mobile phones. This is bound to brass the motorists off.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Andrew, Jul 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Read the Governments reply to contributors on the new law on Mobiles.

    Greatly amused to see it would not be extended to cyclists as it was not seen as a problem area.

    Yes, this means we can quite legally ride round jabbering away holding our mobiles but it will be
    illegal for car drivers.

    And quite right too.

    --
    Andrew

    "Look laddie, if you're in the penalty area and aren't quite sure what to do with the ball, just
    stick it in the net and we'll discuss all your options afterwards."
     
    Tags:


  2. Thomas

    Thomas Guest

    "andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Read the Governments reply to contributors on the new law on Mobiles.
    >
    > Greatly amused to see it would not be extended to cyclists as it was not seen as a problem area.
    >
    > Yes, this means we can quite legally ride round jabbering away holding our mobiles but it will be
    > illegal for car drivers.
    >
    > And quite right too.

    Hehe, however, I was slightly purplexed to see a cyclist going at speed down hill today whilst
    eating an ice cream out of a cone. Hope she didn't have to stop suddenly ;)

    Thomas.
     
  3. Simon Proven

    Simon Proven Guest

    andrew wrote:

    > Read the Governments reply to contributors on the new law on Mobiles.
    >
    > Greatly amused to see it would not be extended to cyclists as it was not seen as a problem area.
    >
    > Yes, this means we can quite legally ride round jabbering away holding our mobiles but it will be
    > illegal for car drivers.

    > And quite right too.

    Nice troll.
     
  4. Mark South

    Mark South Guest

    "Simon Proven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > andrew wrote:
    >
    > > Read the Governments reply to contributors on the new law on
    Mobiles.
    > >
    > > Greatly amused to see it would not be extended to cyclists as it was
    not
    > > seen as a problem area.
    > >
    > > Yes, this means we can quite legally ride round jabbering away
    holding our
    > > mobiles but it will be illegal for car drivers.
    >
    > > And quite right too.
    >
    > Nice troll.

    ITYM "Nice grey-bearded, long-in-the-tooth, bent-over-walking-with-a-stick troll".
     
  5. Simon Proven

    Simon Proven Guest

    Mark South wrote:

    > "Simon Proven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>andrew wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Read the Governments reply to contributors on the new law on
    >
    > Mobiles.
    >
    >>>Greatly amused to see it would not be extended to cyclists as it was
    >
    > not
    >
    >>>seen as a problem area.
    >>>
    >>>Yes, this means we can quite legally ride round jabbering away
    >
    > holding our
    >
    >>>mobiles but it will be illegal for car drivers.
    >>
    >>>And quite right too.
    >>
    >>Nice troll.
    >
    >
    > ITYM "Nice grey-bearded, long-in-the-tooth, bent-over-walking-with-a-stick troll".

    Aye - but I thought I was reading uk.transport. :)

    Simon
     
  6. Gonzalez

    Gonzalez Guest

    Richard Goodman wrote:

    >Nah, it'd only be a troll if he'd cross-posted to uk.t just to wind them up..

    Let's see then. I'll post it to uk.trasport and uk.rec.driving and see what happens.
    --
    remove remove to reply
     
  7. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    "Gonzalez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Richard Goodman wrote:
    >
    > >Nah, it'd only be a troll if he'd cross-posted to uk.t just to wind them up..
    >
    > Let's see then. I'll post it to uk.trasport and uk.rec.driving and see what happens.

    Trolling? Not *really*. It is factually acurate & as pointed out I didn't x-post.

    Did anyone x-post it? I don't ssem to have those NG on my server.

    --
    Andrew

    "Look laddie, if you're in the penalty area and aren't quite sure what to do with the ball, just
    stick it in the net and we'll discuss all your options afterwards."

    > --
    > remove remove to reply
     
  8. Gonzalez

    Gonzalez Guest

    andrew wrote:

    >
    >"Gonzalez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Richard Goodman wrote:
    >>
    >> >Nah, it'd only be a troll if he'd cross-posted to uk.t just to wind them up..
    >>
    >> Let's see then. I'll post it to uk.trasport and uk.rec.driving and see what happens.
    >
    >Trolling? Not *really*. It is factually acurate & as pointed out I didn't x-post.
    >
    >Did anyone x-post it? I don't ssem to have those NG on my server.

    I posted it separably under the pseudonym, "Rex Anderton", posing as a disgruntled motorist.

    Message-ID: <[email protected]>

    =====

    Read the Governments reply to contributors on the new law on Mobiles.

    It is going to become an offence for drivers to use their mobile phones. I was horrified to learn
    that the same law is not going to be extended to cyclists.

    It seems that it's OK for a cyclist to be going through a red light while chatting to their friends
    on a mobile phone.

    =====

    4 replies so far and one reply to a reply:

    #1 =====

    It has never been "OK" for a cyclist to go through a red light and that is not going to be changed.

    #2 =====

    Cyclists using mobiles are likey to kill themselves.

    Drivers using moblies are likely to kill other road users.

    #3 =====

    Should also apply to peds, the way they step straight into the road while chatting on the phone.

    +++++

    Lol, I work for one of the mobile networks, and the amount of times you see that in the carparks -
    someone blindly walking out in front of a car while on the phone. I'm surprised there have been no
    fatalities... It got so bad that one time they had to send a memo round!

    #4 =====

    It just increases the chances of the cyclist being killed.

    Which is why they want to make all such accidents the motorists fault.

    =====
    --
    remove remove to reply
     
  9. phil

    phil Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, andrew
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Read the Governments reply to contributors on the new law on Mobiles.
    >
    >Greatly amused to see it would not be extended to cyclists as it was not seen as a problem area.
    >
    >Yes, this means we can quite legally ride round jabbering away holding our mobiles but it will be
    >illegal for car drivers.

    A couple of days ago as I was cycling to work I crossed the path of another cyclist on Broad Street
    in Oxford who appeared to be texting on her mobile as she cycled along.

    Whether she made it to the end of the road unharmed this witness cannot say, as he turned off Broad
    Street to cut through to the High.

    Phil

    --
    http://www.kantaka.co.uk/ .oOo. public key: http://www.kantaka.co.uk/gpg.txt
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Loading...