Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by John, Mar 9, 2004.

  1. John

    John Guest

    MoD REPORT ADMITS 'TRIALS' OF VACCINE Mar 7 2004 http://www-
    full&siteid=106694 By Susie Boniface THE Government
    experimented on British troops without their knowledge and
    injected them with vaccines which had not been fully tested,
    a leaked Ministry of Defence report reveals. Defence chiefs
    gave the order for the unproved jabs to be given to our
    armed forces during both Gulf Wars. The MoD document, seen
    by the Sunday Mirror, admits that the members of 205 General
    Hospital were used in a plague "trial" in 1991. And last
    year phials of anthrax vaccine thrown off a warship by angry
    sailors bound for the Gulf were found to contain an illegal
    agent which causes nerve and tissue damage. The "guinea pig"
    tests are now being linked to Gulf War Syndrome, a catalogue
    of chronic illnesses affecting veterans. And as we revealed
    last week, the legacy of the illegal research is serious
    damage to the unborn children of servicemen and women.
    Professor Malcolm Hooper, an expert in the syndrome who sits
    on the MoD vaccine panel, said: "I believe they have been
    experimenting with our troops, but the MoD refuses to talk
    about it." For Tony Flint, a veteran of the first Gulf
    conflict, what happened to him as a private in 205 General
    Hospital is clear. "I was a guinea pig, pure and simple.
    They gave me and my comrades a vaccine with no idea what it
    would do," he said. "I became ill straight away and after I
    came home I was a changed man. I now have Epstein-Barr
    virus, asthma, chronic fatigue, muscle-wasting and post-
    traumatic stress. I get flu every few weeks." He had
    injections for cholera, tetanus, typhoid, hepatitis B,
    polio, yellow fever, meningitis and anthrax before being
    sent to the war zone. In January 1991, just days before
    hostilities began, he was given another jab for anthrax and
    one for plague. The report by the MoD's Gulf Veterans
    Illnesses Unit says senior officers "were concerned about
    the plague vaccine". It adds: "Headquarters British Armed
    Forces Middle East decided a trial should be conducted at
    205 General Hospital to assess how many personnel would
    suffer severe reactions as a result of plague immunisation
    before other units in theatre began the administration of
    plague vaccine." Mr Flint, 56, of Tottenham, North London,
    was never warned of this. "They gave it to us first because
    they wanted to see what it would do," he said. "But if they
    did not have a clear idea how the body would respond to the
    vaccine, they should never have used it." Since returning
    home Mr Flint has also tested positive for traces of a
    harmful chemical called squalene - found in large amounts in
    a batch of anthrax thrown off the warship HMS Ocean and
    washed ashore. It is believed to have been used in the Gulf
    as a booster to make patients absorb the anthrax vaccine
    quickly. It has never been licensed for use in the UK or US,
    and its use is illegal. Prof Hooper said: "Squalene had been
    used to improve AIDS vaccines but was such an aggressive
    substance it was found to do all kinds of damage. "Even the
    smallest traces are enough to trigger a reaction in the
    body's immune system, and Gulf War Syndrome is entirely
    linked to faults of the immune system." Hundreds of US war
    veterans have tested positive for squalene, but the MoD
    refuses to test British servicemen and women. It will not
    recognise Gulf War Syndrome and refuses to reveal what is in
    the vaccines for national security reasons. An MoD spokesman
    said yesterday: "There is no clinical evidence to suggest
    anyone has suffered long-term ill effects as a result of the
    UK-licensed anthrax vaccine." He denied the use of squalene
    and refused to comment on plague vaccine.
    MP CALLS FOR HOON ANSWERS DEMANDS for a full inquiry into
    the birth defects of Gulf War babies will be heard in the
    House of Commons tomorrow. The move comes in the wake of our
    revelation last week that deaths, still-births, miscarriages
    and birth defects among Army babies are being blamed on
    anthrax jabs given to soldiers sent to Iraq. In one unit -
    33 Field Hospital - not one child conceived around the time
    of last year's Gulf War was born healthy. Campaigning Lib
    Dem MP Paul Tyler will call on Defence Secretary Geoff Hoon
    to order a scientific probe into why so many families have
    been blighted. "We need to find out exactly what has
    happened. This number of pregnancies don't just go wrong for
    no reason," he said. "Until a full study is carried out
    these families won't get the answers they need. "Geoff Hoon
    should make a statement to the House on what his department
    is doing to solve the mystery of what has happened to the
    babies of 33 Field Hospital."
    was born, there should have been rejoicing. Instead, her
    parents sobbed as their longed-for daughter was delivered.
    She died seven-and-a-half hours later, severely deformed -
    another victim of the Gulf War curse. "I had known all along
    something was wrong," said mum Vicky Warriner,
    36. "And I knew it was because of the war." Catherine Jane's
    father, Mark Warriner, served in the 1991 Gulf War as a
    driver in the Royal Corps of Transport. They had a
    healthy baby son, James, in 1996. But trouble began as
    Vicky and Mark tried to expand their family. She
    miscarried at nine weeks in 1997 and at 11 weeks a year
    later. "When Mark was in the Gulf, he was told to roll
    his sleeves up and join a queue of soldiers
    walkingthrough a tent in the middle of the desert. As
    they filed past they had jab after jab in their arms,"
    said Vicky. "He was never told some of the jabs were
    experimental." When she became pregnant again in 1998
    the couple hoped their run of bad luck was over, but a
    late scan found the baby's body had stopped developing
    at 27 weeks. "The nurse looked at the screen - her face
    just fell," said Vicky. "I started to cry. She was
    nurses took it in turns to go into the corner and cry.
    There was nothing they could do for her. She died at
    10.30pm. We buried her in February 1999 and my husband
    left me in the July. He could not cope with the loss of
    Catherine. "He's married again now, but is too worried
    about what will happen to have any more children."