Modern frame with early 80s Gitane geometry?

Chuck Liu

Guest
I just built up an old Gitane frame. Wow, the geometry is perfect for me!!! Besides going custom,
which modern frame builders make frames with similar geometries??? I would love to have a new bike
with this geometry! Thanks.

Chuck Liu at [email protected] wrote on 3/10/03 4:27 PM:

> I just built up an old Gitane frame. Wow, the geometry is perfect for me!!! Besides going custom,
> which modern frame builders make frames with similar geometries??? I would love to have a new bike
> with this geometry! Thanks.

Do you mean that the handling is what you like because of the frame geometry, or do you mean that
the fit of the bike is excellent?

If it fits you really, really well, you might take the time to figure out the relative measurements
between handlebars, saddle and crank bb center - you could probably reproduce that pretty easily on
another frame with careful choice of stem, bars, and seatpost/saddle.

As far as _frame_ geometry - get out the tape measure and the protracter... Most manufacturers list
sizing/geometries on their website or catalogs.

Certainly, the two are related, but if you don't want to go custom, you'll probably have to figure
out your specific frame size/bike fit issues and match it up.

Good luck.

-- Jim

"Chuck Liu" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<b4aba.32052$eG2.5856@sccrnsc03>...

> I just built up an old Gitane frame. Wow, the geometry is perfect for me!!! Besides going custom,
> which modern frame builders make frames with similar geometries??? I would love to have a new bike
> with this geometry! Thanks.

Your best bet would be to measure it and compare the masurements to various modern makers. Craftsman
makes an angle finder you can use to determine your head and seat tube angles (though you will have
to measure several times to be sure you are correct within half a degree). A ruller can measure all
of the tube lengths. Some folks measure the angles by taking a picture of the bike and measuring
angles with a protractor. This should work though I think you would need quite an enlargement to be
accurate to half a degree.

good luck! Bruce
--
Bruce Jackson - Sr. Systems Programmer - DMSP, A M/A/R/C Group Company