Modern Lugged Frames

Steve_A

Sep 7, 2010
(Steel, of course) It won't get above freezing here today, and I've spent a good part of it immersed in websites dealing with lugged steel frames. I'm posting here in the Bike Cafe because this isn't really a question about equipment or buying a bike, it's just to get some thoughts out in a place where they may be understood. I want a lugged frame, a decent one. I've always been inclined toward the aesthetics of bicycles, and have never been competitive. At this point in my life, I know myself well enough to know that I enjoy buying the thing, owning the thing, tinkering with the thing; as much or more than using the using the thing. I'm not ashamed to admit it. So since my reentry into cycling last year, I've been refining what I want in a bike. I like the look of lugged steel frames. I like the tradition of them and the utility. I've been reading Grant Peterson at Rivendell and even though I'm not a total fanboy, I agree with much of his philosophy. Although I do find him a bit dictatorial, etc, etc, I love his bikes. In particular, the Sam Hillborne all-round bike. Lucky for me, it's the least expensive frame in Rivendell's line (sort of). Unlucky for me, Sam frames in my size just increased from $1250 to $1400 (you have to read the site to understand their pricing; these prices are for smaller sizes, so I'm being penalized.)

It just got me thinking and wondering what else was available in custom- or semi-custom lugged frames. Rivendells are not custom (at that price, anyway). A post on the Lovely Bicycle blog said that Mercian frames were actually close to those prices. So I went there: Mercian is a very traditional British framebuilder with a seemingly impecable reputation. Sure enough, some of their frames of the same type are within the price range of the Sam. And they are custom. We in the US would not have to pay the VAT, so shipping costs are the only other consideration. Of course you can easily go crazy with the lugs and paint and thereby price yourself into the next bracket. I looked at the other end of the spectrum, the imported stock Rando frames by Velo Orange. This is a company that is local to me, and appeals to me on several levels, including the possibility of my perhaps working there someday. The Rando frame/fork sells for $750. But for me, it represents just too many compromises: unexciting paint/graphics, not quite small enough (no 650 wheel option), etc. Having said that, it may ride great, I'd have to try one and see. But if I were to have it painted to my liking that would run at least $400, so I'm in Sam pricing territory again.

I looked at a number of custom framebuilders in the US. Definite bike **** on all of their sites. There's not a one that I looked at that I wouldn't love to place an order with. There's a builder near me, in Baltimore: Bishop Bikes. Beautiful work, no question. However, that builder and every other one I looked at runs about $2000, more or less, for a frame and fork. Sam looks more like a bargain. Yes, I know that with custom you get custom. That is, personal fitting and every angle, tube and detail to your liking. But realistically, I don't need that. In the end, I don't want to pay for it, and I probably wouldn't even rate it, based on my riding. And whenever I go back to the Riv website and look at the Sam pictures, I just know that I want that bike.

As I said, this isn't about asking questions. I plan to get on my current bike (which I've put some time, energy and money into this past year) in the Spring, and see how much I actually end up riding. If I like the answer, I may eventually buy a nice lugged frame. I have a couple of major life milestones coming up in the next few years, and this would the logical (material) way to mark them. So I may mark them with a Sam Hillborne. We'll see.

I can well understand your attraction to those types of frames, through all the trends and fads we've seen over the years, they still have that classic beauty that is so appealing.

And I think that with all the exotic materials used in frame construction today, we tend to overlook how good a well built steel frame will perform.

Circle-A Cycle in Providence, RI builds some very nice custom framesets. Custom starts around $1,400 - lugs will add $300 ... custom fork $100 ... many different lug types .. crowns ... paint ... you can ala carte yourself to some $$, but will have a work of art when you're finished. I've seen a few around the Boston area ... very sweet.

http://www.circleacycles.com/

Have fun with whatever direction you take!

I looked at Circle-A Cycles and they also do some beautiful work. Although the pricing seems a bit lower, by the time you add in standard lugs and a fork, the price is up to $1800. And of course that's before being tempted by other lug choices, braze-ons and other options. $2,000 would be a realistic figure for my frame from this builder. This is basically what I found with the other framebuilders' pricing. That's just what the price range is, and I'm certainly not expecting any bargains from these skilled builders.

I should say a bit more about the Rivendell frames that I'm looking at. The small frames (for which the price is $1400) are made in the US by Waterford. The other sizes are made in Japan by a respected framebuilder. Rivendell says that the quality is the same and I have no reason to doubt that. On top of that, Rivendell frames are painted by Joe Bell. So for $1400, one gets a Rivendell-designed, Waterford-built, and Joe Bell-painted frame. Sounds a bit better all the time to me. So that realization is one of the results of my bit of research and venting here: to bring into focus what one is paying for with a Rivendell, vs. another small-production frame, vs. a full custom.

Sounds like a Sam is the bike for you. Whaddya waiting for? No time like the present to reward yourself!! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif