Modifications to Burley Canto

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Gary Krause, Jan 31, 2003.

  1. Gary Krause

    Gary Krause Guest

    Hi,

    I've had my Canto over a year now and have made a couple of modifications that have made a big
    difference. The Canto is fine the way it is but, I thought it could be better. First of all, the
    leather seat base is ok and I really didn't have any problems with it except for a little recumbent
    butt once in a while. It took a month to find the perfect position for me. I noticed that Calhoun
    Cycles sells a Rans seat base for the Burley. I bought it and tried it. It improves the comfort 100%
    in my opinion. It's also lighter than the original leather seat base. The other thing that I am
    changing is the wheels. The ZAC 19 rims are awful. I'm in the process of building a couple of new
    wheels for it. I'm using Rhyno Lite rims.

    Overall, I am very pleased with the Canto. I've switched it from long to short wheel base and back
    again. I actually liked the short wheel base better but, I also have a Rans V-Rex and no need for
    another SWB bent.

    Has anyone else made improvements to the Canto and if so, what?

    Gary

    Tags:

  2. Dom

    Dom Guest

    I've had my Canto for a year and love it. I started with the LWB but then switched to a SWB and
    don't forsee going back (the brake cable routing is pretty stratight forward once you know how it
    goes. I posted something about it in this NG). For a seat pack I use a fanny pack wrapped around the
    seat bars. It holds eveything I need for most of my riding and if I need more then I add a backpack.

    I would highly recommed getting the speed struts. It makes a big difference in the ride and feel.
    The Primos on the front seem to last but the rear one received a lot of small cuts. I changed it to
    a Specialized Fat Boy smoothy and like it. I also added the ATB Freddy fenders from Planet Bike and
    had to do some cutting to make them fit(now I see they have a recumbent version and folks on this NG
    have tried them on the Canto and like them). Had to modify the front and rear them to fit in the SWB
    config (this is pre there latest recumbent version). I also replaced the seat for an Evolution one
    and like it a lot. Extended the wires on my Echo Well computer to fit the LWB (I like it casue it
    has current and avg cadance). But in the short wheel base with a space grip mounted on the chaing
    stay and the computer mouted on it, I don't need all the extra wire. Thinking about upgrading to a
    Vett 100 which has wireless cadance (Performance has this version available and it is now on sale
    for 119).I was able to get my LBS to give me a flag from one of the trailers they sell which I
    mounted to the braze on on the seat stay. I had to cut the flag from the holder and then do a little
    bend to mke it work. But the flag goes in/out easily. I route the flag down behind the upper seat
    bar and used a strip of velcro as add fastner around the the bar. Work fine. I am a true beliver in
    being seen (defensive bike riding if you'd like).

    The only draw back I see is the weight. At 34+ lbs out of the box it is a heavy bike. Add in all the
    extras and the steep hills here in NH and that's a lot of bike to push around.

    [email protected] (Gary Krause) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've had my Canto over a year now and have made a couple of modifications that have made a big
    > difference. The Canto is fine the way it is but, I thought it could be better. First of all, the
    > leather seat base is ok and I really didn't have any problems with it except for a little
    > recumbent butt once in a while. It took a month to find the perfect position for me. I noticed
    > that Calhoun Cycles sells a Rans seat base for the Burley. I bought it and tried it. It improves
    > the comfort 100% in my opinion. It's also lighter than the original leather seat base. The other
    > thing that I am changing is the wheels. The ZAC 19 rims are awful. I'm in the process of building
    > a couple of new wheels for it. I'm using Rhyno Lite rims.
    >
    > Overall, I am very pleased with the Canto. I've switched it from long to short wheel base and back
    > again. I actually liked the short wheel base better but, I also have a Rans V-Rex and no need for
    > another SWB bent.
    >
    > Has anyone else made improvements to the Canto and if so, what?
    >
    > Gary

  3. Gene Cosloy

    Gene Cosloy Guest

    [email protected] (Gary Krause) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've had my Canto over a year now and have made a couple of modifications that have made a big
    > difference. The Canto is fine the way it is but, I thought it could be better. First of all, the
    > leather seat base is ok and I really didn't have any problems with it except for a little
    > recumbent butt once in a while. It took a month to find the perfect position for me. I noticed
    > that Calhoun Cycles sells a Rans seat base for the Burley. I bought it and tried it. It improves
    > the comfort 100% in my opinion. It's also lighter than the original leather seat base. The other
    > thing that I am changing is the wheels. The ZAC 19 rims are awful.
    Hey Gary, What is wrong with Weinmann ZAC 19 rims? Is it the Shimano brake pads that tend to gobble
    up the aluminum every time you break or what? I own a Burley Taiko and replaced the pads with
    Koolstops and haven't had any more problems. Speaking of new rims, have you evaluated the new
    Velocity rims for recumbents? How do they compare to Rhyno Lites?

    Gene Bike E NX, Taiko, Frejus (vintage DF)

    I'm in the process of building a
    > couple of new wheels for it. I'm using Rhyno Lite rims.
    >
    > Overall, I am very pleased with the Canto. I've switched it from long to short wheel base and back
    > again. I actually liked the short wheel base better but, I also have a Rans V-Rex and no need for
    > another SWB bent.
    >
    > Has anyone else made improvements to the Canto and if so, what?
    >
    > Gary

  4. Gary Krause

    Gary Krause Guest

    Hi Gene,

    The Zac 19 rims on my Canto have a problem where the rim in pinned. The rim is a little wider there
    which gives me that clunk, clunk, clunk sound every time I apply the brakes. With machined side
    walls, this shouldn't happen. I keep my wheels true so I know that isn't the problem. The problem is
    easy to see on the trueing stand. I'll be replacing the brake bads with Cool Stops after I build the
    new wheels.

    Yes, I have been looking at the Velocity rims and I'm thinking about getting a pair for my V-Rex.
    Not that there is anything wrong with the Alex rims, it's just that I enjoy building wheels and any
    excuse will do.:) I haven't seen a Velocity rim in person but, I have been to their web site and
    have seen others advertising them. I have used Rhyno Lite rims before and I like them. I think they
    will look good on the Burley as well as being bullet proof and of good quality.

  5. Derek Swift

    Derek Swift Guest

    > Has anyone else made improvements to the Canto and if so, what?

    I have switched the stock shifters and rear derailleur to SRAM 9.0SL. It has also been converted to
    a 9 speed cluster (11-34T) on the back rather than an 8-speed cluster.

    I too replaced the seat base. One publication i read said there is no recumbutt on the Corbin
    saddle. Yeah, right!

    I do have a problem with the attachment mechanism of the seat to the frame, though. It tends to tilt
    forward after riding for a while. Anyone know a fix for this?

    Derek

  6. Derek Swift

    Derek Swift Guest

    > I've had my Canto for a year and love it. I started with the LWB but then switched to a SWB and
    > don't forsee going back (the brake cable routing is pretty stratight forward once you know how
    > it goes.

    How does it go? I am trying to figure this out now on mine.

    Derek

  7. Derek Swift

    Derek Swift Guest

    > The Zac 19 rims on my Canto have a problem where the rim in pinned. The rim is a little wider
    > there which gives me that clunk, clunk, clunk sound every time I apply the brakes.

    This sounds like a brake problem. I have had this before with Shimano brakes. My Canto does not have
    the problem like this.

    Derek

  8. Gene Cosloy

    Gene Cosloy Guest

    Derek Swift <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Has anyone else made improvements to the Canto and if so, what?
    >
    > I have switched the stock shifters and rear derailleur to SRAM 9.0SL. It has also been converted
    > to a 9 speed cluster (11-34T) on the back rather than an 8-speed cluster.
    >
    > I too replaced the seat base. One publication i read said there is no recumbutt on the Corbin
    > saddle. Yeah, right!
    >
    > I do have a problem with the attachment mechanism of the seat to the frame, though. It tends to
    > tilt forward after riding for a while. Anyone know a fix for this?
    >
    > Derek

    Hi Derek

    Make sure the bolt and nut is facing forward and the pivot pin rearwards. also use star washers to
    help keep the setting. You need to use a lot of torque to keep this from slipping. I finally
    replaced these parts with Bike E parts which uses a longer threaded bolt into the inside plate. You
    can then place a nut over that which really locks everything up tight. Try Atlantic cycle in FL
    which stocks BikeE parts.

    Gene

  9. Ben

    Ben New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    Just bought a new Canto and love it. Thanks for the informative thread.

    I have had one problem, however, and was wondering if it was common to all Canto owners. I've ridden less than 50 miles so far and have noticed a low, whining noise coming from the chain idler in the middle of the frame. I only hear the noise when I'm pedaling. Is this normal? Should I be worried? Should I replace the idler?

    Any ideas?

    Ben

  10. Mike Vore

    Mike Vore Guest

    On 14 Mar 2003 00:46:32 +1050, Ben <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Just bought a new Canto and love it. Thanks for the informative thread.
    >

    > I have had one problem, however, and was wondering if it was common to all Canto owners. I've
    > ridden less than 50 miles so far and have noticed a low, whining noise coming from the chain idler
    > in the middle of the frame. I only hear the noise when I'm pedaling. Is this normal? Should I be
    > worried? Should I replace the idler?

    I have a Limbo - same idler (?) as the other Burleys(?) Never had a problem like that - check to see
    if you have any straps hanging down on the the chain or tires - that makes an annoying sound - Look
    close It's taken me many looks at times to find the offending strap/tool bag.

    mike

    --
    Michael Vore, W3CCV M-ASA [Ka8 (MU)] WHIRL (Burley LIMBO) http://mike.vorefamily.net/ohmywoodness
    <-Custom Woodworking http://mike.vorefamily.net/thewoodenradio <-The weblog

  11. Dom

    Dom Guest

    Derek. The way I routed my brake cable is as follows. If you're sitting on the bike the cable runs
    down the steer tube on the left side, under the frame where it bends up and comes out on the other
    side under the idler wheel and connects to the noodle. You have to play with it to get the right
    length on the cable housing but it keeps the cable free of the chain and away from the front wheel.
    At my LBS they had it routed over the frame and down across the chain. Looked like an accident
    waiting to happen. If you are still having problems let me know and I will take a couple of pics and
    post them. Dom

    Ben <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Just bought a new Canto and love it. Thanks for the informative thread.
    >
    > I have had one problem, however, and was wondering if it was common to all Canto owners. I've
    > ridden less than 50 miles so far and have noticed a low, whining noise coming from the chain idler
    > in the middle of the frame. I only hear the noise when I'm pedaling. Is this normal? Should I be
    > worried? Should I replace the idler?
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >

    > Ben

  12. Ian Levit

    Ian Levit Guest

    I also purchased the Rans seat, and after some adjusting, I found it a very big improvement. I would
    even like MORE padding, but the Rans seat is, for me, a big improvement over the very hard seat that
    is standard with the Taiko. The only complaint I have is that the back for the seat is not
    comfortable. I've tried some padding, and next I will try a lumbar support of some kind. I recently
    tried some other recumbents, and the Giro seat back from Bachetta was very nice. It had curves in it
    for both upper and lower back support. I would love to be able to use the seat back on the Burley.
    If anyone can figure out how to do that, please us all know.

    One thing I did find, is that you have to get the seat bottom back up against the seat back, as
    close as you can. Also, at least for me, it has been important to get the seat tilt set properly. In
    my case, the front (nose) has be high, so that you are naturally tilted back slightly, into the seat
    back. This made a very big difference. Otherwise, I found myself sliding forward as I rode, which
    put a great deal of strain on my 52 year old back. I found that on my reclining chair at home, I was
    very comfortable, and tried to replicate the feel, by setting the angle of the seat tilt on the seat
    to the seat back to match the recliner.

    Otherwise, I've found the Burley Taiko to be a very nice ride, and a very easy recumbent to control.
    The steering mechanism in the LWB configuration is very clever, and works well. This is my first
    recumbent, and I selected the Taiko in large part because I found steering and bike control to be
    excellent. It is also very nice looking recumbent.

    I hope that Burley will put some effort into upgrading the seat bottom and seat back in the future,
    and do it in such a way, that current owners could easily upgrade to the more ergonomic design. A
    great range of motion (seat angle), would also be nice.

    Are you listening Burley?

    news:[email protected]...