Modifying a Mountain Bike for Triathlon

R

Rw

Im planning on entering my first sprint triathlon this summer and was going to use my mountain bike
because I don't have $ to buy a road bike.

Any recommendations as to what modifications Ican make or ideas on where i can buy a cheap ($200-
$300) road bike.

Thanks.

"rw" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Im planning on entering my first sprint triathlon this summer and was
going
> to use my mountain bike because I don't have $ to buy a road bike.
>
> Any recommendations as to what modifications Ican make or ideas on where i can buy a cheap ($200-
> $300) road bike.
>
> Thanks.
>
>

One modification idea: slick tires will roll more nicely. Most local bike shops stock them for folks
who use their mountain bikes to commute (primarily a pavement feature). Even if you never do another
tri, you will probably ride your mountain bike on the raod again.

Every other modification I can think of is a sunk cost; you may never use it again.

You can get a decent used cro-mo (Chromoly) frame for your price range. Check the local bike shop.
Some sell on consinement or allow customers to post ads on their bulletin board. Of course, identify
your frame size needs - - buyer beware.

rsquared

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 13:11:52 -0600, "rw" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Im planning on entering my first sprint triathlon this summer and was going to use my mountain bike
>because I don't have $ to buy a road bike.
>
>Any recommendations as to what modifications Ican make or ideas on where i can buy a cheap ($200-
>$300) road bike.
>
>Thanks.
>

I'd go with some slicks and an aero bar and maybe clipless pedals and shoes.

You can get a cheap aero bar for $30 and slicks should be $20 each. Clipless pedals and shoes will
be a little more, but if you look around you could probably get that for less than $100.

I second (or third) the suggestion to put slicks on the mountain bike. It is the biggest improvement
you can make! I used my Schwinn High Plains in all the Sprint tris I've done. I just used the
regular pedals with the attached "foot cover" (technical term) and tri bars. A little heavy but
rolls well. Have fun!

--
Aaron M. Staebell 4700 Mexico Road St. Peters, Missouri 63376
(636) 498-4000 voice
(637) 498-8880 fax

This communication is for use by the intended recipient and contains information that may be
privileged, confidential or copyrighted under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are hereby formally notified that any use, copying or distribution of this e-mail, in whole or
in part, is strictly prohibited. Please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this e-mail
from your system. Unless explicitly and conspicuously designated as " E-Contract Intended", this e-
mail does not constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment, or an acceptance of a contract
offer. This e-mail does not constitute a consent to the use of sender's contact information for
direct marketing purposes or for transfers of data to third parties.

In article <[email protected]>, "rw" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Im planning on entering my first sprint triathlon this
> summer and was going to use my mountain bike because I
> don't have $ to buy a road bike.
>
> Any recommendations as to what modifications Ican make or
> ideas on where i can buy a cheap ($200-$300) road bike.
>
> Thanks.
>
>

if you want to keep it rock bottom cheap, just pick up some
aerobars that'll fit onto your handlebars (if you feel you'd
like them), remove any unnecessary fenders and stuff that'll
just add weight, put some lighter tires (slicks), and if you
haven't already, throw on a mini pump in a bracket, plus an
under-seat tool kit bag.

that's about all i did on my mtn style road bike and it got
me through both a try-a-tri and a sprint race last summer.
no problems there.

Cam