modulation definition

Penny S

Guest
anyone have a good one? and yes, I've goggled and google-groups and got lots of usage of the term,
but not a "definition". Oh, I check my mtb books too, lest anyone thing I'm not working hard enough.

thanks penny

Penny S wrote:
> anyone have a good one?

"The process of getting up-to-date."

Bill "HTH" S.

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> anyone have a good one? and yes, I've goggled and google-groups and got
lots
> of usage of the term, but not a "definition". Oh, I check my mtb books
too,
> lest anyone thing I'm not working hard enough.
>
> thanks penny

Well, what do *you* think the definition is? And, modulation is reference to what exactly? Brakes?
If so, my def. is this:

Modulation is the ability to feel and vary braking force in (very) small amounts.

The term is usually applied when comparing brake setups.

That what you're looking for?

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> anyone have a good one? and yes, I've goggled and google-groups and got
lots
> of usage of the term, but not a "definition". Oh, I check my mtb books
too,
> lest anyone thing I'm not working hard enough.

The ability to smoothly increase braking power with modest changes of pressure at the brake lever.
The opposite would be toggling, as in locked up or not locked up.

Greg

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 08:41:00 -0800, Penny S wrote:
> anyone have a good one? and yes, I've goggled and google-groups and got lots of usage of the
> term, but not a "definition". Oh, I check my mtb books too, lest anyone thing I'm not working
> hard enough.

Modulation: to be modulated Modulated: to regulate, adjust, or adapt to the proper degree

(I'm assuming you're not talking about things like quadrature amplitude modulation or pitch
modulation).

G.T. wrote:
> "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> anyone have a good one? and yes, I've goggled and google-groups and got lots of usage of the
>> term, but not a "definition". Oh, I check my mtb books too, lest anyone thing I'm not working
>> hard enough.
>>

> The ability to smoothly increase braking power with modest changes of pressure at the brake lever.
> The opposite would be toggling, as in locked up or not locked up.
>
> Greg

thanks greg.

"G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> anyone have a good one? and yes, I've goggled and google-groups and got
>lots
>> of usage of the term, but not a "definition". Oh, I check my mtb books
>too,
>> lest anyone thing I'm not working hard enough.
>
>The ability to smoothly increase braking power with modest changes of pressure at the brake lever.
>The opposite would be toggling, as in locked up or not locked up.

How about: The ability to control with consistent repeatability the amount of braking applied.

or, the "real world version" that I prefer: "being able to consistently lift the rear wheel without
lifting it over your head".

I don't know that "modest change in pressure at the brake lever" necessarily applies - in fact, the
higher the brake lever pressure required, the more modulation you'll have (as long as you're still
capable of applying enough brakes with "full pressure"), since the "range of braking" will be spread
over a wider range of brake lever squeezing effort.

Mark Hickey wrote:
> "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>anyone have a good one? and yes, I've goggled and google-groups and got
>>
>>lots
>>
>>>of usage of the term, but not a "definition". Oh, I check my mtb books
>>
>>too,
>>
>>>lest anyone thing I'm not working hard enough.
>>
>>The ability to smoothly increase braking power with modest changes of pressure at the brake lever.
>>The opposite would be toggling, as in locked up or not locked up.
>

> How about: The ability to control with consistent repeatability the amount of braking applied.

I agree with that, and paying attention to the amount of lever travel along with slight resistance
is enough for me to attain repeatability.

> or, the "real world version" that I prefer: "being able to consistently lift the rear wheel
> without lifting it over your head".
>
> I don't know that "modest change in pressure at the brake lever" necessarily applies - in fact,
> the higher the brake lever pressure required, the more modulation you'll have (as long as you're
> still capable of applying enough brakes with "full pressure"), since the "range of braking" will
> be spread over a wider range of brake lever squeezing effort.

I don't believe that a high brake lever force is required, just an appropriate amount of feedback so
the brakes aren't full on before you know it. I just want an increasing amount of braking while
squeezing the brakelever within it's range. I can control my fingers, I can't make them stronger
during a given ride if my hands are tired from trying to squeeze that last amount of braking power
out of them.

When we switched to disc brakes on off-road motorcycles I thought they were deadly they were so
powerful with so little finger effort. Little did I realize at the time that I would get over the
fact that I no longer had to stomp on the rear brake or grab the front brake with all my might to
stop those drum brakes to stop.

Greg

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> anyone have a good one? and yes, I've goggled and google-groups and got
lots
> of usage of the term, but not a "definition". Oh, I check my mtb books
too,
> lest anyone thing I'm not working hard enough.
>
> thanks penny

It must be snowing in the East. The tekkie talk tells all. Cleanbean

Penny S <[email protected]> wrote:
> anyone have a good one? and yes, I've goggled and google-groups and got lots of usage of the
> term, but not a "definition". Oh, I check my mtb books too, lest anyone thing I'm not working
> hard enough.
>
> thanks penny

Having to quit drinking beer because you are the poor ******* who got stuck as the designated driver
and have to watch your buddies have a good time laughing, drinking and otherwise enjoying a good
drunk while you sit there with a stupid grin trying to convince yourself that its just as fun to be
sober with your sorry-ass coke or club soda with lime wedge wishing you could ditch their sorry
drunken ass.....

Oh, wait...that's modulation, not moderation.

Sorry

Tom (still sober)

tcmedara wrote:
> Penny S <[email protected]> wrote:
>> anyone have a good one? and yes, I've goggled and google-groups and got lots of usage of the
>> term, but not a "definition". Oh, I check my mtb books too, lest anyone thing I'm not working
>> hard enough.
>>
>> thanks penny
>
> Having to quit drinking beer because you are the poor ******* who got stuck as the designated
> driver and have to watch your buddies have a good time laughing, drinking and otherwise enjoying a
> good drunk while you sit there with a stupid grin trying to convince yourself that its just as fun
> to be sober with your sorry-ass coke or club soda with lime wedge wishing you could ditch their
> sorry drunken ass.....
>
> Oh, wait...that's modulation, not moderation.
>
> Sorry
>
> Tom (still sober)

reframe your thinking. You are sober and clear of mind, seeing what kind of slobbering idiots
alchohol turns one into. Plus, you will feel way better in the morning than they will, and have a
lot more money left in your pocket.

;-)

Penny

Mark Hickey wrote:
> "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>news:[email protected]...
>>
>>>anyone have a good one? and yes, I've goggled and google-groups and got
>>
>>lots
>>
>>>of usage of the term, but not a "definition". Oh, I check my mtb books
>>
>>too,
>>
>>>lest anyone thing I'm not working hard enough.
>>
>>The ability to smoothly increase braking power with modest changes of pressure at the brake lever.
>>The opposite would be toggling, as in locked up or not locked up.
>

> How about: The ability to control with consistent repeatability the amount of braking applied.
>
> or, the "real world version" that I prefer: "being able to consistently lift the rear wheel
> without lifting it over your head".

Great real world definition Mark. I'm working on getting used to disc brakes and getting them dialed
in for me, and that about somes up how I've approached it. I'd add getting the front wheel nearly
locked up.

Shawn current skidiot, but its my front wheel C.

Penny S wrote:
> tcmedara wrote:
>> Penny S <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> anyone have a good one? and yes, I've goggled and google-groups and got lots of usage of the
>>> term, but not a "definition". Oh, I check my mtb books too, lest anyone thing I'm not working
>>> hard enough.
>>>
>>> thanks penny
>>
>> Having to quit drinking beer because you are the poor ******* who got stuck as the designated
>> driver and have to watch your buddies have a good time laughing, drinking and otherwise enjoying
>> a good drunk while you sit there with a stupid grin trying to convince yourself that its just as
>> fun to be sober with your sorry-ass coke or club soda with lime wedge wishing you could ditch
>> their sorry drunken ass.....
>>
>> Oh, wait...that's modulation, not moderation.
>>
>> Sorry
>>
>> Tom (still sober)
>
> reframe your thinking. You are sober and clear of mind, seeing what kind of slobbering idiots
> alchohol turns one into. Plus, you will feel way better in the morning than they will, and have a
> lot more money left in your pocket.
>
> ;-)
>
> Penny

Ain't that a fact. I've also noticed how it *seems* like everybody else is having more fun than me
being sober and straight. That's just for the first hour of the party. Everybody else gets kindof a
*head* ;) start. After about an hour I've more or less caught up and while I keep on partying harder
and harder everybody else starts slumping or start chasing more expensive drugs to be able to keep
up with me ;))))

And when the party is over I step into my car or get up on my bike, go home catch some shuteye and
I'm ready to go again.

--
Perre

Per Elmsäter <[email protected]> wrote:

(snip)
> Ain't that a fact. I've also noticed how it *seems* like everybody else is having more fun than me
> being sober and straight. That's just for the first hour of the party. Everybody else gets kindof
> a *head* ;) start. After about an hour I've more or less caught up and while I keep on partying
> harder and harder everybody else starts slumping or start chasing more expensive drugs to be able
> to keep up with me ;))))
>
> And when the party is over I step into my car or get up on my bike, go home catch some shuteye and
> I'm ready to go again.

To be honest, I threw out my OP merely for the humor value. For whatever reason, I got stuck on the
alliterative qualities of modulation/moderation and felt the need to make a humorous comment (I
thought it was funny, anyway). The older I get, the less my body can stand anything more than a few
beers or a couple of glasses of wine. I'm just not genetically geared to metabolize gross quantities
of alcohol. Of course one can only learn that lesson through trial and error. ;) I've found that
splitting headaches on Saturday morning really cut into my desire to get up early and go ride (he
says as he smoothly segues back on topic).

Tom (still sober 'cause I can't drink like I used to....and don't want to either!)

tcmedara wrote:
> Tom (still sober 'cause I can't drink like I used to....and don't want to either!)

Now that is what I call true modulation ;) Moderation is for wimps.

--
Perre

<[email protected]> wrote:

>anyone have a good one? and yes, I've goggled and google-groups and got lots of usage of the
>term, but not a "definition". Oh, I check my mtb books too, lest anyone thing I'm not working
>hard enough.
>
>thanks penny

Frequency or Amplitude?

Peace, Bill

...one speed to rule them all, one speed to find them, one speed to bring them all and on the trails
pass them In the Land of Avalon where the geared pigs lie...

Hi to all, Here is something we all need for our winter riding, or at least
those of us who live in the Pacific Northwest,on the coast or like mud
freckles www.rimsaver.net Wal-Mart will have them in stock in March.
> Bill Wheeler <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Frequency or Amplitude?
>
> Phase shift.
>
> Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

Q: How to post spam so almost no one will see or understand it.