"molecularly distilled" fish oil

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by [email protected], Feb 27, 2006.

  1. Does "molecularly distilled" really mean anything? I've heard people
    say it's crucial if you want to avoid PCBs, etc. Others say it's
    bullshit and just stated so that more can be charged for the product.
    I noticed that GNC's fish oils no longer say molecularly distilled, so
    I asked them about it and they said that their oils are now
    "micro-filtered" instead. Anyone know if it matters?

    wx

    Tags:

  2. On 27 Feb 2006 14:18:26 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

    > Anyone know if it matters?

    Yes dumbass, they charge more for it.
    LOSER!

    JH

  3. Dr. Dickie

    Dr. Dickie Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Does "molecularly distilled" really mean anything? I've heard people
    > say it's crucial if you want to avoid PCBs, etc. Others say it's
    > bullshit and just stated so that more can be charged for the product.
    > I noticed that GNC's fish oils no longer say molecularly distilled, so
    > I asked them about it and they said that their oils are now
    > "micro-filtered" instead. Anyone know if it matters?
    >
    > wx

    Anything that simply puts "molecular," before it, should make you BS
    detector hit a high note.
    The real question is, how can you distill non-molecular?
    Turns out though, that in this case it appears to be legit. While the term
    is stupid, it refers to the distillation process done under a vacuum for
    high boiling compounds that would significantly degrade at elevated
    temperatures. Sort of a sublimation distillation (a much more accurate
    term).
    So, yes, this should be legit (as far as I know) for purification of fish
    oils from PCB (generally PCBs would have a much higher boiling point).
    Now whether or not they actually do that, I have no idea. Whether or not
    that is even needed to remove PCBs, I have no clue. Seems to be there should
    be easier methods, but perhaps not.

    --
    Dr. Dickie
    Skepticult member in good standing #394-00596-438