"molecularly distilled" fish oil

Does "molecularly distilled" really mean anything? I've heard people
say it's crucial if you want to avoid PCBs, etc. Others say it's
******** and just stated so that more can be charged for the product.
I noticed that GNC's fish oils no longer say molecularly distilled, so
I asked them about it and they said that their oils are now
"micro-filtered" instead. Anyone know if it matters?

wx

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Does "molecularly distilled" really mean anything? I've heard people
> say it's crucial if you want to avoid PCBs, etc. Others say it's
> ******** and just stated so that more can be charged for the product.
> I noticed that GNC's fish oils no longer say molecularly distilled, so
> I asked them about it and they said that their oils are now
> "micro-filtered" instead. Anyone know if it matters?
>
> wx

Anything that simply puts "molecular," before it, should make you BS
detector hit a high note.
The real question is, how can you distill non-molecular?
Turns out though, that in this case it appears to be legit. While the term
is stupid, it refers to the distillation process done under a vacuum for
high boiling compounds that would significantly degrade at elevated
temperatures. Sort of a sublimation distillation (a much more accurate
term).
So, yes, this should be legit (as far as I know) for purification of fish
oils from PCB (generally PCBs would have a much higher boiling point).
Now whether or not they actually do that, I have no idea. Whether or not
that is even needed to remove PCBs, I have no clue. Seems to be there should
be easier methods, but perhaps not.

--
Dr. Dickie
Skepticult member in good standing #394-00596-438