Monark 894e Peak Bike Avg Watts?

wiredued

Aug 17, 2004
I saw this Monark ergometer at the gym in a lab type room and I thought Dr Coggan called Monark the gold standard (or something like that) I was looking at the manual online so I would have some idea how to use this thing if they let me and it seems to say it displays watts but doesn't say it will give average watts when you're done your 20 minute TT. Does anyone that uses a Monark know how to get the average watts from one of these things? Is there a way to calculate the average watts using distance? Thanks

wiredued said:
I saw this Monark ergometer at the gym in a lab type room and I thought Dr Coggan called Monark the gold standard (or something like that)

I'd hardly consider it the gold standard, but they've been around for a long time, and being mechanically-braked, are easy to calibrate.

wiredued said:
I was looking at the manual online so I would have some idea how to use this thing if they let me and it seems to say it displays watts but doesn't say it will give average watts when you're done your 20 minute TT. Does anyone that uses a Monark know how to get the average watts from one of these things? Is there a way to calculate the average watts using distance? Thanks

One revolution of the crank moves a point on the flywheel 6 m, so if you multiple your cadence by the resistance as measured on the scale (in kiloponds, which is the force exerted by one kilogram at normal gravity) you'll know your power output in kilopond-meters/min (or kpm/min). Divide that by 6.12 (= 60 s/min divided by 9.81 N/kilopond) and voila! power output in watts.

The only other things you need to know are:

1) since power is measured "downstream" of the drive train, the power that you deliver to the cranks will be slightly underestimated, and

2) the above calculation is really valid only when flywheel speed is constant...if it isn't (e.g., during a Wingate test), then some kinetic energy will be absorbed/released by the flywheel, leading to an under/overestimation of the power that you're producing at that moment.

So if I go 11,160 meters in 20 minutes with 3.4kg of wieght including the basket the average pedal speed would be 11,160m dist/6meters=1,860 total revs/20min=93rpm avg then 93x3.4=316.2watts for 20 minutes. 316.2 x .95 = 300.39 watts FTP.:cool: