Money Making Ideas

XC Racer

Jun 14, 2003
I need US$1000+ within the next 12 months. Any Ideas?
Yes I know we all need money, but i'm only 13, well... nearling 14, and I need money for a better bike. The Acera and Aftermarket components on my budget Merida arn't going to well, and not to mention the weight...
So, any Ideas? I've already thought of ebay, but dont know what really sells...

Reactions: Damien Lee
Start your own business

yeah i know you are only 13 so you might need some help from your parents but i'm talking about something simple and low key, not microsoft

Set up a service for doing car washing, gardening, lawn mowing and errands for people. Get some flyers made up and then spread em around

If you explain to your neighbours what your goal is and offer good service they will help you out by giving you work and reffering you to other people

That is a really good idea, but where I live, there are too many Car Washing Services, Gardening, Lawnmowing ect. All the kids in our riding team have their own little businesses like that, and they've got stuff like Cannondale Jekyll 900sl's and Trek Liquids. It must work, but theres too many.

EDIT
I just realised that you have a website under construction...would you like me to help out? I have a portfolio + resume if you want...
EDIT

thanks for the offer but i'm afraid i live with a web producer already and she's helping me out

keydates said:
Damn spammers.
fact Chain letters dont really work
I worked for a printing press company once
and this guy came in and had us print off a 1000 copies of this chain letter
like explaned above
being curious I removed the name above his on about 20 of them
and put in mine, I inserted the 20 ramdemly in the stack, we folded the letters up for him on a folder machine, so he had no idea I had done it.
I got exactly $0.00

XC Racer said:
Yes I know we all need money, but i'm only 13, well... nearling 14, and I need money for a better bike. The Acera and Aftermarket components on my budget Merida arn't going to well, and not to mention the weight...

Do you do work on your own bike? Do you live in/near a populated area?

Spend a couple bucks and put up flyers or hand them out to other riders offering tune up services. In Chicago that goes for $100+ dollars at most shops and people are lucky if the bike gets more than a good cleaning.

degrease/re lube the drive train

Adjust the...

Brakes
Shifters

Check the...
headset
hubs
bottom bracket

can you true a wheel?

clean the bike up... et cetera.

at $50 a pop... you just need 20 customers :)

good luck!

XC Racer said:

Check this one out it's plain, it's simple and it's works
http://www.money4today.com/promo.php?from=Noel
I have spent more on a silly horse race !!!! Need a Pay Pal Account click here.
https://www.paypal.com/row/mrb/pal=8TGL5ZFJ5JMM6
Thanks
Noel

sled31 said:
XCRacer you are in luck!!!!!

PLEASE READ ON!!!!!!:)

Step 6) GET YOUR MONEY!!!!!!!!!

sled31, somebody should kick you in the face for this.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Yawnnnnnn, this is a pyramid scheme, everyone who breathes air would come across them at some point online. THough its based on diminshing odds and someone has always got to be at the bottom. When I was 13 I saved for my first mountain bike my newspaper delivery, morning and evening every day.. And then other odd jobs. AS even for teenagers the old saying "the best way to get a job is to be in a jobs too"..Get yourself out and about and ask people if they have anything for you to do! Oh and have fun too, interacting with real people beats TV etc every time

XC Racer said:
Try to think of the jobs most people don't enjoy doing or are difficult for older people: cleaning gutters, cleaning out garages, yard clean-up and mowing, etc. Ask your parents if they'll let you do extra chores for cash. Knock on the doors of neighbours with a smile and enthusiasm and you'll do fine. Even if they say 'no' this time they may say 'yes' next time so be friendly with everyone.

My son is almost 12 and has to come up with $600.00 for half of the bike we are going to share and, aside from his extensive list of chores (now), he is banging on neighbours doors to see if they need anything done. He should have the cash in about 2 months. You can do it too. Good luck. :D

XC Racer said:
SPAM removed

Holy **** where did all these pyramid morons come from?

Ok, I gripe, but to tell you the truth, I'm fascinated by pyramid scams. They're such a unique brand of scam: a scam with no real perpetrator (but plenty of victims) and no hidden mechanism; a scam which explains itself fully and is maintained entirely by an unwitting staff of generally unintelligent folks but otherwise ordinary folks. Housewives, shopkeepers, Little League coaches, and yes, cyclists, who in good faith think a working system can exist for simply passing along and receiving money, for profit.

It's the goofiest iteration of the American dream. Someone should make a documentary about the subject. A funny documentary.

lokstah said:
Holy **** where did all these pyramid morons come from?
I'm wondering if in this particular scam the original author of the email is getting a kickback from paypal on referring new members. If you notice, both of the scam emails have a referrer ID in the link. I wonder if we can email paypal and get the scammer's account suspended using the link info. ;)

cydewaze said:
I'm wondering if in this particular scam the original author of the email is getting a kickback from paypal on referring new members. If you notice, both of the scam emails have a referrer ID in the link. I wonder if we can email paypal and get the scammer's account suspended using the link info. ;)
Heh. A combo pyramid / paypal referral scheme? Anything's possible, but I doubt it--I don't think PayPal's ever done referral bonus programs, or even cash banner ads. But I could be wrong.

On the other hand, if PayPal cared enough to address a pyramid scheme with a $6 buy-in, they'd be dedicating a lot of work hours to bringing down a pretty funny fiasco. I wonder if they'd even bother.

lokstah said:
Heh. A combo pyramid / paypal referral scheme? Anything's possible, but I doubt it--I don't think PayPal's ever done referral bonus programs, or even cash banner ads. But I could be wrong.
They have. I've built websites with paypal-based shopping carts, and when new people signed up for paypal via your site, you'd get something like 5 bucks. To see if they still do, I logged in to my paypal account and went to the help section:

How do I start earning Merchant Referral Bonuses?

Send your personalized referral link in an email

Send a short Referral Email to merchants you know and include the link below.

https://www.paypal.com/us/mrb/pal=32TZTRPC4WBZE

Click here to get a sample Referral Email with your personalized referral link included.

How do I make money with the Merchant Referral Bonus Program?

Each time a new merchant signs up for a PayPal Business or Premier account via the link or banner that you provide, you'll be eligible for a Merchant Referral Bonus. Your referral bonus is tied to the amount the merchant receives via PayPal's Website Payment Tools or Send Money.

You'll immediately start earning 0.5% of the new merchant's revenue — up to $1,000.00 USD — for the first 12 months that the merchant has his PayPal account.

Note: The Merchant Referral Bonus program is designed to reward referrals of non-eBay merchants. As a result, payments received for eBay items will not contribute toward the Merchant Referral Bonus.

Notice the "pal=" number in the sample link above. The url is in the same format as in our scammer's post. I think the scammers are attempting to pick up referral bonuses. Whether or not paypal is honoring them is a different story. Maybe paypal doesn't care, because the scams are just getting them more accounts.

Oh, and btw, the scam emails do in fact propose something illegal. I did a bit of digging and found this:

Despite the claims made in this e-mail, this scheme is illegal under the Postal Lottery Statute (United States Code, Title 18, Section 1302); according to the United States Postal Inspection Service, chain letters are against the law "if they request money or other items of value and promise a substantial return to the participants." The claim that this scam does not violate postal statutes because something of value is being exchanged for the money (i.e., the sender is "added to a mailing list") is specious. (Chain letters are legal if they request that the recipients mail the senders something of no real value, such as business cards, but asking for cash is a no-no).

Nothing a bit of common sense wouldn't have told anyone.