Money no object?

pineapple

Oct 3, 2003
Ever wondered why cycling is not as popular as it could be? Almost every kid at one time or another gets on a bike for the first time and loves the thrill of it, but so few people actually move on to enjoying the open road as they grow older.

It's not expensive to get a bike and ride it, but if you're going to get a decent bike that makes you love cycling, the costs start to mount up pretty quickly. When I used to do 40 minute rides on my mtb, all I had to pay for was the bike. Now that I'm putting a bit more effort into it, my bike is twice as expensive, plus I need to pay for pedals, shoes, and kit like cycling clothes, helmet, tools, spares, tyres etc. And it's not easy on a student salary!

Has cycling always been the preserve of the wealthy and dedicated? Is money - and not image - the real factor behind cycling's lack of mass market appeal?

Let me know your thoughts.

it is frustrating. I got a great deal on my bike in a trade. I was just going to use it to run around arrands. (a racing bike so not the right bike for that (G) well I started using it to commute one way then both. 10 miles each way and I needed new shoes shorts and clothes for the weather. things sure add up fast. it's hard to find a jersy unlder 30.00 thats just rediculus for a shirt and thats a cheap one. people have too much disposable income.

It does add up quick i just left the bike shop, new chain , casseste,tires, tubes, ect ect. theres the equipment not to mention the nutrition side of it, gu, drinks on the bike, recovery food ect $$$$!!

Funny I was just talking with a friend about this last week. I counted all the extras I "had" to buy and it all added up to the same amount as I paid for the bike (which wasn't that cheap).

Such is the price we pay.

the clothes are really the killer. I jsut bought the basics. I ride 5 days a week so I needed 5 pairs of shorts. I found ones that were comfy at about 69.00 each. I got away with some polypropelene tee shirts and cotton shirts over the top for winter. not sure about now that it is getting warm. I cna't afford 5 jersy's.

Originally posted by stevek
it is frustrating. I got a great deal on my bike in a trade. I was just going to use it to run around arrands. (a racing bike so not the right bike for that (G) well I started using it to commute one way then both. 10 miles each way and I needed new shoes shorts and clothes for the weather. things sure add up fast. it's hard to find a jersy unlder 30.00 thats just rediculus for a shirt and thats a cheap one. people have too much disposable income.

I agree completely with the disposable income. A friend of mine who is refinishing his motorcycle and spending oodles of money on light carbon exhaust parts, polishing the rims, repainting, and putting on every performance part he can find on it just couldn't understand why I was spending so much money on my bicycle and not my motorcycle.

It is a hobby. Not only a hobby, but part of being fit and where I spend and hour+ everyday! I have made some "upgrades" to my bike to shave off a few ounces here and ther, and to better fit me and my riding style. Sure, I will admit I have spent more than I probably need to, but it is fun and my time spent on the bicycle is where I am happiest during my day . . .usually after a rough time in the office.

I hasn't always been like this, and instead of carbon, titanium and aluminum parts . . . it was steel. Those were my college days, God bless 'em! I looked at the sport as something I loved, but could never really afford to own the bike and equipment that I really wanted. I have the means now, and enjoy every bit of my ride when I am on my bicycle. It is a completely different experience from my college days, but it certainly took some $$ to get there.