Mongoose Morzine or Iron-Horse Cyclone ('01)

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by 303squadron, May 26, 2003.

  1. 303squadron

    303squadron Guest

    I have a very limited budget and want to buy a road bike for $400 or less. Already looked in three
    bikes shops and they sell nothing for less than $550 (Giant). Too much.

    Dick's sells the Mongoose Morzine for $400. SportsMart sells the 2001 Iron-Horse Cyclone for $330.
    Both are road bikes.

    The Morzine is all aluminum (7005 alloy), while the Iron Horse is 6000 series Al alloy frame with a
    chom-moly fork. Both have Shimano Sora crank sets. Wheels are (of course) aluminum. Welds look great
    on both bikes. Both bikes fit me. Both stores have a bike service guys who seem competent and
    helpful. The SportsMart has a huge dedicated bike service department and I saw bike brands (the
    "better" brands) being serviced that they do not even sell!

    Other than the usual "buy from a local bike shop" (too many $$$) or anti-Mongoose rant thing, anyone
    have any comments on these two models. Preferably from people who have actually owned the bikes.

    Thanks.

    - 303sq

    Tags:

  2. Slider2699

    Slider2699 Guest

    "303squadron" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have a very limited budget and want to buy a road bike for $400 or less. Already looked in three
    > bikes shops and they sell nothing for less than
    $550
    > (Giant). Too much.
    >
    > Dick's sells the Mongoose Morzine for $400. SportsMart sells the 2001 Iron-Horse Cyclone for $330.
    > Both are road bikes.

    Bicycling raved about the Cyclone, for what it's worth. They called it a return to the general
    purpose road bike. Apparently it's been quite a good seller for Iron Horse. Have you checked
    http://www.roadbikereview.com ?