Mongoose Scorch 149.00 - Is This A Good Buy?

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Walter Cronkite, Jul 18, 2004.

  1. <http://www.thesportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1441290&cp=1160099.886959&clickid=body_bestsellgcat_txt&parentPage=family>

    Will ride street only back and forth to work. Is this a much better
    bike then say the 60.00 ones at KMART, Walmart and Target?

    Tags:

  2. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    Walter Cronkite wrote:
    > <http://www.thesportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1441290&cp=1160099.886959&clickid=body_bestsellgcat_txt&parentPage=family>
    >
    > Will ride street only back and forth to work. Is this a much better
    > bike then say the 60.00 ones at KMART, Walmart and Target?

    This is like asking which is better, vomiting or diarrhea!

    --
    Slacker

  3. mikeg

    mikeg Guest

    > Walter Cronkite wrote:

    <http://www.thesportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=144
    1290&cp=1160099.886959&clickid=body_bestsellgcat_txt&parentPage=fa
    mily>

    > > Will ride street only back and forth to work. Is this a much

    better
    > > bike then say the 60.00 ones at KMART, Walmart and Target?

    > This is like asking which is better, vomiting or diarrhea!

    But it has a padded saddle. Aren't you being a bit harsh?

  4. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    Walter Cronkite wrote:

    <http://www.thesportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1441290&cp=11
    60099.886959&clickid=body_bestsellgcat_txt&parentPage=family>

    > Will ride street only back and forth to work. Is this a much better
    > bike then say the 60.00 ones at KMART, Walmart and Target?

    Buy a $10 garage sale road bike or hybrid.

    Bill "and that's the way it is" S.

  5. di

    di Guest

    "mikeg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > Walter Cronkite wrote:
    > > >

    > <http://www.thesportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=144
    > 1290&cp=1160099.886959&clickid=body_bestsellgcat_txt&parentPage=fa
    > mily>
    > > >
    > > > Will ride street only back and forth to work. Is this a much

    > better
    > > > bike then say the 60.00 ones at KMART, Walmart and Target?

    > > This is like asking which is better, vomiting or diarrhea!

    > But it has a padded saddle. Aren't you being a bit harsh?

    Don't forget alloy(?) linear pull brakes and Shimano Revo Shifting System
    (whatever that is). A good buy, probably not, a good bike, definitely
    not.

  6. cc

    cc Guest

  7. cc

    cc Guest

  8. ZeeExSixAre

    ZeeExSixAre Guest

    > Shimano Revo Shifting System
    > (whatever that is).

    Shimano's version of gripshift.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  9. Disco Stu

    Disco Stu Guest

    S o r n i wrote:
    > Walter Cronkite wrote:
    >
    > <http://www.thesportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1441290&cp=11
    > 60099.886959&clickid=body_bestsellgcat_txt&parentPage=family>
    >
    >>Will ride street only back and forth to work. Is this a much better
    >>bike then say the 60.00 ones at KMART, Walmart and Target?

    > Buy a $10 garage sale road bike or hybrid.
    >
    > Bill "and that's the way it is" S.

    gotta agree.

    Look for a 15 year old, rigid frame, 21 speed, friction shifter with
    cantilever brakes.

    Nobody will want to steel it, it will last forever, you can fix
    everything on it yourself and if you really want to, you can even go
    mountain biking on it.

    I take my Mongoose IBOC (circa 1989) on intermediate trails no problem.

    BTW this is what an iboc looks like
    http://home.att.net/~kentonen/PicPages/gooseiboc.htm

  10. jem

    jem Guest

    Slacker wrote:
    > Walter Cronkite wrote:
    >
    >> <http://www.thesportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1441290&cp=1160099.886959&clickid=body_bestsellgcat_txt&parentPage=family>
    >>

    >> Will ride street only back and forth to work. Is this a much better
    >> bike then say the 60.00 ones at KMART, Walmart and Target?

    > This is like asking which is better, vomiting or diarrhea!
    >

    > --
    > Slacker

    Definitely diarrhea.

  11. A Mongoose a Cobra wouldn't want. Now if it was a
    Mongoose Pro thats something tasteful.

    I MTB 2004

  12. MattB

    MattB Guest

    Slacker wrote:
    > Walter Cronkite wrote:

    <http://www.thesportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1441290&cp=11
    60099.886959&clickid=body_bestsellgcat_txt&parentPage=family>

    >> Will ride street only back and forth to work. Is this a much better
    >> bike then say the 60.00 ones at KMART, Walmart and Target?

    > This is like asking which is better, vomiting or diarrhea!

    LOL!
    I vote diarrhea. At least it doesn't come out my nose.

    Matt

  13. cc

    cc Guest

    "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Slacker wrote:
    > > Walter Cronkite wrote:

    <http://www.thesportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1441290&cp=11
    > 60099.886959&clickid=body_bestsellgcat_txt&parentPage=family>
    > >>
    > >> Will ride street only back and forth to work. Is this a much better
    > >> bike then say the 60.00 ones at KMART, Walmart and Target?

    > > This is like asking which is better, vomiting or diarrhea!

    > LOL!
    > I vote diarrhea. At least it doesn't come out my nose.

    You can't control it coming out your nose?

    A good yut every now and then makes me feel better. Instant satisfaction . .
    whereas diarrhea takes its sweet-ass time.

    cc

  14. I reccomend saving up another $70 and getting a Raleigh M20 from your local
    bike shop. It may be a hardtail design, but you will get far more for your
    money from it, and you will also have the peace of mind that it wasn't
    assembled by some cluelees person being paid $5 an hour, and instead have
    something that was assembled by a proper shop mechanic who does this kind of
    work for a living...and the bike shop actually stands behind their work,
    unlike most department stores.

    "Walter Cronkite" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    <http://www.thesportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1441290&cp=11
    60099.886959&clickid=body_bestsellgcat_txt&parentPage=family>

    > Will ride street only back and forth to work. Is this a much better
    > bike then say the 60.00 ones at KMART, Walmart and Target?

  15. MattB

    MattB Guest

    cc wrote:
    > "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Slacker wrote:
    >>> Walter Cronkite wrote:

    <http://www.thesportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1441290&cp=11
    >> 60099.886959&clickid=body_bestsellgcat_txt&parentPage=family>

    >>> This is like asking which is better, vomiting or diarrhea!

    >> LOL!
    >> I vote diarrhea. At least it doesn't come out my nose.
    >>

    > You can't control it coming out your nose?
    >
    > A good yut every now and then makes me feel better. Instant
    > satisfaction . . whereas diarrhea takes its sweet-ass time.
    >
    > cc

    No. Must be genetic because my brother has the same affliction. We call it
    the "Tri-Stream". Very uncomfortable.

    Matt

  16. Dave Wilson

    Dave Wilson Guest

    [email protected] (Walter Cronkite) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > <http://www.thesportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1441290&cp=1160099.886959&clickid=body_bestsellgcat_txt&parentPage=family>
    >
    > Will ride street only back and forth to work. Is this a much better
    > bike then say the 60.00 ones at KMART, Walmart and Target?

    I started riding about 18 months ago, when a friend convinced me to go
    with him. This guy has gone through phases of wind surfing, scuba
    diving, roller blading, road biking, drag racing, duck hunting, bass
    fishing, air boating, go-kart racing, and currently sky diving. I
    figured the mountain biking was just another phase, and wasn't ready
    to buy into it.

    So he bought a second WalMart Mongoose and finally convinced me to
    ride with him. It was fun. We beat the crap out of those bikes, but
    couldn't break them. They lost the reflectors, chain guards, plastic
    covers over the crank bolts, and everything else that would crack or
    fall off. Also a couple chains and derailleurs, which were easily
    replaced. I'm 6'4" and he's almost as tall, and those bikes are
    medium-sized. We were so far forward that we spent a lot of time
    going over the handlebars.

    After about four months Rob finally bought a no-name carbon fiber
    full-suspension off eBay, and immediately began riding away from me.
    I had to keep up, so I got the first of many frames off eBay and built
    it up. What a difference. Mostly just because it fit, and I wasn't
    launched over the bars every time I made a little mistake. And in a
    couple months we learned about rebound dampening, and how to adjust
    our rear shocks so we didn't go bouncing away after every log
    crossing. That was a big difference too.

    So what's my point? Heck, I don't know. I guess it's that I would
    never have gotten into this if I had to pay the big bucks right at the
    start. No shops around here rent mountain bikes, and at the time I
    didn't know anyone I could borrow a decent bike from. We didn't know
    the difference between our POS Mongooses and the high-end stuff, so we
    just kept riding.

    There is a large community of central American immigrants here, and I
    see them on the Wal/K/Mart bikes all the time. They're little people,
    so the bikes fit fine, and the spring in the back cushions the ride as
    they bounce over curbs while pedaling along on the sidewalk.

    More about my bikes at www.davewilson.cc/Bike

    Dave

  17. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    Dave Wilson wrote:

    > [email protected] (Walter Cronkite) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >><http://www.thesportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1441290&cp=1160099.886959&clickid=body_bestsellgcat_txt&parentPage=family>
    >>
    >>Will ride street only back and forth to work. Is this a much better
    >>bike then say the 60.00 ones at KMART, Walmart and Target?

    > I started riding about 18 months ago, when a friend convinced me to go
    > with him. This guy has gone through phases of wind surfing, scuba
    > diving, roller blading, road biking, drag racing, duck hunting, bass
    > fishing, air boating, go-kart racing, and currently sky diving. I
    > figured the mountain biking was just another phase, and wasn't ready
    > to buy into it.
    >
    > So he bought a second WalMart Mongoose and finally convinced me to
    > ride with him. It was fun. We beat the crap out of those bikes, but
    > couldn't break them. They lost the reflectors, chain guards, plastic
    > covers over the crank bolts, and everything else that would crack or
    > fall off. Also a couple chains and derailleurs, which were easily
    > replaced. I'm 6'4" and he's almost as tall, and those bikes are
    > medium-sized. We were so far forward that we spent a lot of time
    > going over the handlebars.
    >
    > After about four months Rob finally bought a no-name carbon fiber
    > full-suspension off eBay, and immediately began riding away from me.
    > I had to keep up, so I got the first of many frames off eBay and built
    > it up. What a difference. Mostly just because it fit, and I wasn't
    > launched over the bars every time I made a little mistake. And in a
    > couple months we learned about rebound dampening, and how to adjust
    > our rear shocks so we didn't go bouncing away after every log
    > crossing. That was a big difference too.
    >
    > So what's my point? Heck, I don't know. I guess it's that I would
    > never have gotten into this if I had to pay the big bucks right at the
    > start. No shops around here rent mountain bikes, and at the time I
    > didn't know anyone I could borrow a decent bike from. We didn't know
    > the difference between our POS Mongooses and the high-end stuff, so we
    > just kept riding.
    >
    > There is a large community of central American immigrants here, and I
    > see them on the Wal/K/Mart bikes all the time. They're little people,
    > so the bikes fit fine, and the spring in the back cushions the ride as
    > they bounce over curbs while pedaling along on the sidewalk.
    >
    > More about my bikes at www.davewilson.cc/Bike
    >
    > Dave

    http://www.davewilson.cc/Bike/Pics/DSCN1519.JPG

    Dude, tame those brows! I know they stop the sweat from going in your
    eyes, but why would you want to look like Andy Rooney?

    --
    o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
    www.schnauzers.ws

  18. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    Ride-A-Lot wrote:

    > http://www.davewilson.cc/Bike/Pics/DSCN1519.JPG
    >
    > Dude, tame those brows! I know they stop the sweat from going in your
    > eyes, but why would you want to look like Andy Rooney?

    That snow or cocaine on that front tire?!?

    Bill "mmmmm, snnnooowwwww" S.

  19. gazzer

    gazzer Guest

    [email protected] (Walter Cronkite) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > <http://www.thesportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1441290&cp=1160099.886959&clickid=body_bestsellgcat_txt&parentPage=family>
    >
    > Will ride street only back and forth to work. Is this a much better
    > bike then say the 60.00 ones at KMART, Walmart and Target?

    I wouldn't give it the steam off my piss. Get yourself a second hand road bike.

    cheers

  20. Ride-A-Lot

    Ride-A-Lot Guest

    S o r n i wrote:

    > Ride-A-Lot wrote:
    >
    >>http://www.davewilson.cc/Bike/Pics/DSCN1519.JPG
    >>
    >>Dude, tame those brows! I know they stop the sweat from going in your
    >>eyes, but why would you want to look like Andy Rooney?

    > That snow or cocaine on that front tire?!?
    >
    > Bill "mmmmm, snnnooowwwww" S.

    From what I read he lines in South Florida, so if it is near Miami it
    must be blow.

    Say hello to my little friend!