Mongoose Scorch 149.00 - Is This A Good Buy?

Walter Cronkite

Guest
<http://www.thesportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1441290&cp=1160099.886959&clickid=body_bestsellgcat_txt&parentPage=family>

Will ride street only back and forth to work. Is this a much better
bike then say the 60.00 ones at KMART, Walmart and Target?

Walter Cronkite wrote:
> <http://www.thesportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1441290&cp=1160099.886959&clickid=body_bestsellgcat_txt&parentPage=family>
>
> Will ride street only back and forth to work. Is this a much better
> bike then say the 60.00 ones at KMART, Walmart and Target?

This is like asking which is better, vomiting or diarrhea!

--
Slacker

> Walter Cronkite wrote:

<http://www.thesportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=144
1290&cp=1160099.886959&clickid=body_bestsellgcat_txt&parentPage=fa
mily>

> > Will ride street only back and forth to work. Is this a much

better
> > bike then say the 60.00 ones at KMART, Walmart and Target?

> This is like asking which is better, vomiting or diarrhea!

But it has a padded saddle. Aren't you being a bit harsh?

"mikeg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Walter Cronkite wrote:
> > >

> <http://www.thesportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=144
> 1290&cp=1160099.886959&clickid=body_bestsellgcat_txt&parentPage=fa
> mily>
> > >
> > > Will ride street only back and forth to work. Is this a much

> better
> > > bike then say the 60.00 ones at KMART, Walmart and Target?

> > This is like asking which is better, vomiting or diarrhea!

> But it has a padded saddle. Aren't you being a bit harsh?

Don't forget alloy(?) linear pull brakes and Shimano Revo Shifting System
(whatever that is). A good buy, probably not, a good bike, definitely
not.

> Shimano Revo Shifting System
> (whatever that is).

Shimano's version of gripshift.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

S o r n i wrote:
> Walter Cronkite wrote:
>
> <http://www.thesportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1441290&cp=11
> 60099.886959&clickid=body_bestsellgcat_txt&parentPage=family>
>
>>Will ride street only back and forth to work. Is this a much better
>>bike then say the 60.00 ones at KMART, Walmart and Target?

> Buy a $10 garage sale road bike or hybrid.
>
> Bill "and that's the way it is" S.

gotta agree.

Look for a 15 year old, rigid frame, 21 speed, friction shifter with
cantilever brakes.

Nobody will want to steel it, it will last forever, you can fix
everything on it yourself and if you really want to, you can even go
mountain biking on it.

I take my Mongoose IBOC (circa 1989) on intermediate trails no problem.

BTW this is what an iboc looks like
http://home.att.net/~kentonen/PicPages/gooseiboc.htm

Slacker wrote:
> Walter Cronkite wrote:
>
>> <http://www.thesportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1441290&cp=1160099.886959&clickid=body_bestsellgcat_txt&parentPage=family>
>>

>> Will ride street only back and forth to work. Is this a much better
>> bike then say the 60.00 ones at KMART, Walmart and Target?

> This is like asking which is better, vomiting or diarrhea!
>

> --
> Slacker

Definitely diarrhea.

Slacker wrote:
> Walter Cronkite wrote:

<http://www.thesportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1441290&cp=11
60099.886959&clickid=body_bestsellgcat_txt&parentPage=family>

>> Will ride street only back and forth to work. Is this a much better
>> bike then say the 60.00 ones at KMART, Walmart and Target?

> This is like asking which is better, vomiting or diarrhea!

LOL!
I vote diarrhea. At least it doesn't come out my nose.

Matt

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Slacker wrote:
> > Walter Cronkite wrote:

<http://www.thesportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1441290&cp=11
> 60099.886959&clickid=body_bestsellgcat_txt&parentPage=family>
> >>
> >> Will ride street only back and forth to work. Is this a much better
> >> bike then say the 60.00 ones at KMART, Walmart and Target?

> > This is like asking which is better, vomiting or diarrhea!

> LOL!
> I vote diarrhea. At least it doesn't come out my nose.

You can't control it coming out your nose?

A good yut every now and then makes me feel better. Instant satisfaction . .
whereas diarrhea takes its sweet-ass time.

cc

I reccomend saving up another $70 and getting a Raleigh M20 from your local
bike shop. It may be a hardtail design, but you will get far more for your
money from it, and you will also have the peace of mind that it wasn't
assembled by some cluelees person being paid $5 an hour, and instead have
something that was assembled by a proper shop mechanic who does this kind of
work for a living...and the bike shop actually stands behind their work,
unlike most department stores.

news:[email protected]...

cc wrote:
> "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Slacker wrote:
>>> Walter Cronkite wrote:

<http://www.thesportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1441290&cp=11
>> 60099.886959&clickid=body_bestsellgcat_txt&parentPage=family>

>>> This is like asking which is better, vomiting or diarrhea!

>> LOL!
>> I vote diarrhea. At least it doesn't come out my nose.
>>

> You can't control it coming out your nose?
>
> A good yut every now and then makes me feel better. Instant
> satisfaction . . whereas diarrhea takes its sweet-ass time.
>
> cc

No. Must be genetic because my brother has the same affliction. We call it
the "Tri-Stream". Very uncomfortable.

Matt

[email protected] (Walter Cronkite) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> <http://www.thesportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1441290&cp=1160099.886959&clickid=body_bestsellgcat_txt&parentPage=family>
>
> Will ride street only back and forth to work. Is this a much better
> bike then say the 60.00 ones at KMART, Walmart and Target?

I started riding about 18 months ago, when a friend convinced me to go
with him. This guy has gone through phases of wind surfing, scuba
diving, roller blading, road biking, drag racing, duck hunting, bass
fishing, air boating, go-kart racing, and currently sky diving. I
figured the mountain biking was just another phase, and wasn't ready
to buy into it.

So he bought a second WalMart Mongoose and finally convinced me to
ride with him. It was fun. We beat the **** out of those bikes, but
couldn't break them. They lost the reflectors, chain guards, plastic
covers over the crank bolts, and everything else that would crack or
fall off. Also a couple chains and derailleurs, which were easily
replaced. I'm 6'4" and he's almost as tall, and those bikes are
medium-sized. We were so far forward that we spent a lot of time
going over the handlebars.

After about four months Rob finally bought a no-name carbon fiber
full-suspension off eBay, and immediately began riding away from me.
I had to keep up, so I got the first of many frames off eBay and built
it up. What a difference. Mostly just because it fit, and I wasn't
launched over the bars every time I made a little mistake. And in a
couple months we learned about rebound dampening, and how to adjust
our rear shocks so we didn't go bouncing away after every log
crossing. That was a big difference too.

So what's my point? Heck, I don't know. I guess it's that I would
never have gotten into this if I had to pay the big bucks right at the
start. No shops around here rent mountain bikes, and at the time I
didn't know anyone I could borrow a decent bike from. We didn't know
the difference between our POS Mongooses and the high-end stuff, so we
just kept riding.

There is a large community of central American immigrants here, and I
see them on the Wal/K/Mart bikes all the time. They're little people,
so the bikes fit fine, and the spring in the back cushions the ride as
they bounce over curbs while pedaling along on the sidewalk.

More about my bikes at www.davewilson.cc/Bike

Dave

Dave Wilson wrote:

> [email protected] (Walter Cronkite) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
>><http://www.thesportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1441290&cp=1160099.886959&clickid=body_bestsellgcat_txt&parentPage=family>
>>
>>Will ride street only back and forth to work. Is this a much better
>>bike then say the 60.00 ones at KMART, Walmart and Target?

> I started riding about 18 months ago, when a friend convinced me to go
> with him. This guy has gone through phases of wind surfing, scuba
> diving, roller blading, road biking, drag racing, duck hunting, bass
> fishing, air boating, go-kart racing, and currently sky diving. I
> figured the mountain biking was just another phase, and wasn't ready
> to buy into it.
>
> So he bought a second WalMart Mongoose and finally convinced me to
> ride with him. It was fun. We beat the **** out of those bikes, but
> couldn't break them. They lost the reflectors, chain guards, plastic
> covers over the crank bolts, and everything else that would crack or
> fall off. Also a couple chains and derailleurs, which were easily
> replaced. I'm 6'4" and he's almost as tall, and those bikes are
> medium-sized. We were so far forward that we spent a lot of time
> going over the handlebars.
>
> After about four months Rob finally bought a no-name carbon fiber
> full-suspension off eBay, and immediately began riding away from me.
> I had to keep up, so I got the first of many frames off eBay and built
> it up. What a difference. Mostly just because it fit, and I wasn't
> launched over the bars every time I made a little mistake. And in a
> couple months we learned about rebound dampening, and how to adjust
> our rear shocks so we didn't go bouncing away after every log
> crossing. That was a big difference too.
>
> So what's my point? Heck, I don't know. I guess it's that I would
> never have gotten into this if I had to pay the big bucks right at the
> start. No shops around here rent mountain bikes, and at the time I
> didn't know anyone I could borrow a decent bike from. We didn't know
> the difference between our POS Mongooses and the high-end stuff, so we
> just kept riding.
>
> There is a large community of central American immigrants here, and I
> see them on the Wal/K/Mart bikes all the time. They're little people,
> so the bikes fit fine, and the spring in the back cushions the ride as
> they bounce over curbs while pedaling along on the sidewalk.
>
> More about my bikes at www.davewilson.cc/Bike
>
> Dave

http://www.davewilson.cc/Bike/Pics/DSCN1519.JPG

Dude, tame those brows! I know they stop the sweat from going in your
eyes, but why would you want to look like Andy Rooney?

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

[email protected] (Walter Cronkite) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> <http://www.thesportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1441290&cp=1160099.886959&clickid=body_bestsellgcat_txt&parentPage=family>
>
> Will ride street only back and forth to work. Is this a much better
> bike then say the 60.00 ones at KMART, Walmart and Target?

I wouldn't give it the steam off my ****. Get yourself a second hand road bike.

cheers

S o r n i wrote:

> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>
>>http://www.davewilson.cc/Bike/Pics/DSCN1519.JPG
>>
>>Dude, tame those brows! I know they stop the sweat from going in your
>>eyes, but why would you want to look like Andy Rooney?

> That snow or cocaine on that front tire?!?
>
> Bill "mmmmm, snnnooowwwww" S.

From what I read he lines in South Florida, so if it is near Miami it
must be blow.

Say hello to my little friend!