monster challenge results, am I missing something here?

Jian Peng

Guest
I am thinking of getting into triathlon so I spent sometime surfing related sites. I learned that
the winner of the 2003 world cup finished in 1:48:36. Then I came across the 2002 results of
monster challenge in Boston, where the top 36 finishers' time is under 1:48:00, and the winner's
time is 1:41:41. The monster challenge is a USAT sanctioned event, so why the large difference in
time? Thanks!

And the meaning of live is a mystery though we live it from day to day. But the music of life should
be harmony so that anyone here can play. ---"Freudiana"

Jian Peng wrote:

> I am thinking of getting into triathlon so I spent sometime surfing related sites. I learned that
> the winner of the 2003 world cup finished in 1:48:36. Then I came across the 2002 results of
> monster challenge in Boston, where the top 36 finishers' time is under 1:48:00, and the winner's
> time is 1:41:41. The monster challenge is a USAT sanctioned event, so why the large difference in
> time? Thanks!

Triathlon courses in general aren't certified distances. Even world championships allow +- 10% of
the "Standard" distance. A tri course is what it is. The feeling is as long as everyone does the
same course it's a fair race. I've never been to (or even heard of) the Monster Challenge but my
guess is that if it's supposed to be a stardard 1500M-40K-10K, it ain't.

JJ

JJ

On Thu, 05 Jun 2003 15:27:12 -0500, JJ Waguespack <[email protected]> wrote:

>Jian Peng wrote:
>
>> I am thinking of getting into triathlon so I spent sometime surfing related sites. I learned that
>> the winner of the 2003 world cup finished in 1:48:36. Then I came across the 2002 results of
>> monster challenge in Boston, where the top 36 finishers' time is under 1:48:00, and the winner's
>> time is 1:41:41. The monster challenge is a USAT sanctioned event, so why the large difference in
>> time? Thanks!

>Triathlon courses in general aren't certified distances. Even world championships allow +- 10% of
>the "Standard" distance. A tri course is what it is. The feeling is as long as everyone does the
>same course it's a fair race. I've never been to (or even heard of) the Monster Challenge but my
>guess is that if it's supposed to be a stardard 1500M-40K-10K, it ain't.
>
>JJ
>
>JJ

I not familar with course either, but course differences themselves make a huge differences
in time. You have tough tri courses just like you have tough run or bike courses.

~Matt