monster challenge results, am I missing something here?

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Jian Peng, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Jian Peng

Jian Peng Guest

I am thinking of getting into triathlon so I spent sometime surfing related sites. I learned that
    the winner of the 2003 world cup finished in 1:48:36. Then I came across the 2002 results of
    monster challenge in Boston, where the top 36 finishers' time is under 1:48:00, and the winner's
    time is 1:41:41. The monster challenge is a USAT sanctioned event, so why the large difference in
    time? Thanks!

J

--
    And the meaning of live is a mystery though we live it from day to day. But the music of life should
    be harmony so that anyone here can play. ---"Freudiana"

Tags:

2. Jian Peng

Jian Peng Guest

3. Jian Peng wrote:

> I am thinking of getting into triathlon so I spent sometime surfing related sites. I learned that
    > the winner of the 2003 world cup finished in 1:48:36. Then I came across the 2002 results of
    > monster challenge in Boston, where the top 36 finishers' time is under 1:48:00, and the winner's
    > time is 1:41:41. The monster challenge is a USAT sanctioned event, so why the large difference in
    > time? Thanks!
    >
    > J
    >

Triathlon courses in general aren't certified distances. Even world championships allow +- 10% of
    the "Standard" distance. A tri course is what it is. The feeling is as long as everyone does the
    same course it's a fair race. I've never been to (or even heard of) the Monster Challenge but my
    guess is that if it's supposed to be a stardard 1500M-40K-10K, it ain't.

JJ

JJ

4. MJuric

MJuric Guest

On Thu, 05 Jun 2003 15:27:12 -0500, JJ Waguespack <[email protected]> wrote:

>
    >
    >Jian Peng wrote:
    >
    >> I am thinking of getting into triathlon so I spent sometime surfing related sites. I learned that
    >> the winner of the 2003 world cup finished in 1:48:36. Then I came across the 2002 results of
    >> monster challenge in Boston, where the top 36 finishers' time is under 1:48:00, and the winner's
    >> time is 1:41:41. The monster challenge is a USAT sanctioned event, so why the large difference in
    >> time? Thanks!
    >>
    >> J
    >>
    >
    >Triathlon courses in general aren't certified distances. Even world championships allow +- 10% of
    >the "Standard" distance. A tri course is what it is. The feeling is as long as everyone does the
    >same course it's a fair race. I've never been to (or even heard of) the Monster Challenge but my
    >guess is that if it's supposed to be a stardard 1500M-40K-10K, it ain't.
    >
    >JJ
    >
    >JJ

I not familar with course either, but course differences themselves make a huge differences
    in time. You have tough tri courses just like you have tough run or bike courses.

~Matt