Montreal-Boston race falls on its ass

Fausto Coppied

Aug 17, 2006
Montreal-Boston Race Cancelled

Another supposed step forward in Canadian Cycling has fallen on its ass. Since I directed a race for Manibal in 1999 (Women’s Road World Cup) which started his franchise, salvaging it from an early grave, I can tell you Manibal probably went ahead with this knowing he did not have his financing in place, hoping it would come through. Also, much of Mr. Manibal’s support comes from the Parti Quebecois separatists and they are having some difficulties at the moment.

Has there been a Canadian report on this?

Tell me how things are going so well in cycling in Canda? Do you think the CCA helped in anyway to make this event happen? Of course not. The Director General, Lorriane Lafreniere came from a coaching association and prior to that media relations. SHE HAS NEVER ORGANIZED AN EVENT. HOW CAN SHE PROVIDE ASSISTANCE?:

Officials hit the brakes on bike race

By PATRICK MEIGHAN and STEVE BODNAR, Telegraph Staff
[email protected], [email protected]

Published: Thursday, May. 10, 2007

NASHUA – A professional, Tour de France-caliber bicycle race that was to begin in Montreal, make a stop in Nashua and finish in Boston has been postponed for a year, race officials announced Wednesday.

Mayor Bernie Streeter blamed the postponement on disinterest on the part of the city of Boston, where the race was to conclude.

“This announcement is disappointing to say the least,” Streeter said in a written statement released Wednesday.

“As mayor, I am personally offended by the city of Boston’s lack of interest and support. I know our state officials who have worked long and hard on this event also are crushed with this decision,” Streeter said.

Events that the city of Nashua had been planning around the Aug. 11 event will continue as scheduled, city officials said.

Bike race organizers said they scrapped this year’s race because of the difficulty coordinating the race with various U.S. and Canadian governments, according to a statement issued Wednesday afternoon from the Montreal-Boston Tour headquarters in Quebec.

However, race organizers made no specific mention of Boston’s lack of interest in the race as the cause of the postponement.

Putting the race together required organizing officials in Quebec, as well as Vermont, New Hampshire and Massachusetts, which proved too much in such a short amount of time, according to race officials.

“We want to thank all our partners, who did not hesitate to give their time and support to this project,” Daniel Manibal, president and executive director of the tour, said in a written statement.

“They understand the importance of putting it off until 2008. They have already accomplished an amazing feat, and we want to assure them of our determination to make the Montreal-Boston Tour a reality, Manibal said.

Back home, some were let down by the news but could understand the need for a delay.

Keith Dobbins, a sales associate at Goodale’s Bike Shop in Nashua, said he was “extremely disappointed” when he learned of the postponement of the race, but agreed that the extra time would help provide a better event.

“It will give better chance for more people to get out there and realize cycling is fun, safe, healthy and a good investment,” Dobbins said in a telephone interview Wednesday evening.

Goodale’s had sponsored some of the bicycling events to be held in the city to coincide with the race.

Bob Hall, owner of Souhegan Cycleworks in Milford, was also looking forward to seeing the Montreal-Boston Tour this summer, until he heard the plans went flat.

Hall knows how difficult it is to put together an elaborate cycling race. In September, he helped organize a cyclo-cross race, where road bikes were used in an off-road competition.

“There’s lots of organizing for a one-day event in a single town, never mind an eight-day event in two countries with people from around the world getting involved,” he said from his Milford store Wednesday night.

Besides for community members, Gov. John Lynch, and his wife, Dr. Susan Lynch, were also big supporters of the race. In a statement released through his press spokesman, Lynch said he and his wife will continue to support bringing the international race through the state.

The second to last leg of the race was to end in Nashua. The final leg was to leave the city and end in Boston. City officials had expected the event, part of the pro bicycle racing tour, to bring thousands of spectators to downtown.

“The international bike race would have been a wonderful opportunity for our city to shine once again. The crowd expected for that day in our city would have, in all likelihood, exceeded the Olympic Torch run down our Main Street in 1996,” Streeter said.

Nashua officials said they will still hold the other events planned for the day, including bike races planned at Holman Stadium sponsored by Goodale’s, along with SummerFun children’s events at Greeley Park and an Energy Fair sponsored by the city’s Green Team.

City officials have been rounding up sponsors and donations to pay for the events and hadn’t planned on using tax dollars to cover any of the costs.

Hall, at Souhegan Cycleworks, said he understands how the postponement of the race can be disheartening, but doesn’t think the feelings will last.

“I think people are probably going to wait. I think any race takes a while to get going,” he said. “I’m pretty sure the cycling community won’t be thrilled that its not happening this year, but they will be patient for the race.”

Patrick Meighan can be reached at 594-6518 or [email protected]. Steve Bodnar can be reached at 594-6481 or [email protected]

Fausto Coppied said:
I meant a report from something other than Canadian Cyclist, something from a real newspaper?
would it not be better to practice what you preach?

The World is my country,
all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.

Thomas Paine
http://www.arzouian.com/

Absolutely.

Pointing out the incompetence, hypocrisy, failure and mistakes of the Canadian Cycling Assocation and its unqualified Diretcor General Lorraine Lafreniere IS DOING GOOD.

The faster we get rid of these people, wipethe slate clean and start again with people who know and have respect for the sport the better.

Fausto Coppied said:
Absolutely.

Pointing out the incompetence, hypocrisy, failure and mistakes of the Canadian Cycling Assocation and its unqualified Diretcor General Lorraine Lafreniere IS DOING GOOD.

The faster we get rid of these people, wipethe slate clean and start again with people who know and have respect for the sport the better.
Funny...that's not what the article in OP stated...something about Boston, was it?

OK.

Now I get you.

Allow me to explain.

First, it helps to understand that history with Manibal and the CCA. In the past they detested each other. In fact, Manibal did not even want to see the CCA at his events. I told him he had no choice. That was due to Pierre Hutsebaut and other things.

I'm not sure how Manibal is dealing with the current CCA. Since they know nothing about cycling, he probably doesn’t have much of a problem with them.

Had this Montreal-Boston event been held it would have been THE biggest in the sport in Canada.

As such the CCA SHOULD HAVE HAD A VESTED INTEREST IN SEEING THIS THROUGH. THE CCA SHOULD HAVE BEEN FACILITING THINGS FOR MANIBAL ESPECIALLY AT THE NATIONAL & INTERNATIONAL LEVEL. THE CCA IS IN OTTAWA AFTER ALL.

For such an event, like at the 2003 Road Worlds the CCA should have been in contact with government representatives from the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA), Canadina Heritage - International Affairs Branch, (of which Sport Canda and therefore the CCA are part of), Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada, etc.

THIS IS WHAT THE CCA SHOULD BE DOING, NOT TELLING US ABOUT FRIGGIN’ BELLS!!!!

As I told the Board of Direcotrs when I applied to run the CCA, the CCA should have a mandate to ensure that EACH PROVICNE HAS AT LEAST ONE NATIONAL IF NOT AN INTERNATIONAL SANCTION EVENT IN EVERY DISCIPLINE (that means road, track, mtb & now BMX). If the provinces are unable to do this on their own the CCA Competition Coordinator should be assisting them.

That’s what the CCA should be doing.

But the current and past management at the CCA couldn’t find their asses with both hands.

Lorraine Lafreniere is a talking head, a PR person who issued the statements she was told to issue. She has never organized and event, she only talks about them.

The CCA had another golden opportuity to hold a major international event and they blew it.

I hope this explains things to you.

Of course, if for you the big picture remains bells, then you probably won’t get this. You, like the CCA and most of its Board, are awash in mediocrity.

holli said:
I just want to ask...have you tried to do something about the things in Canadian cycling?

Glad you asked. You can judge for yourself:

As for not knowing who I am or my background, I'll fill you in quickly. I raced from 1974 to 1988 . I won four or five provincial championships in a number of categories and on road and track. I have one bronze medal from the CDN nationals riding for Quebec in the TTT.

I was a member of the US Olympic Development Team in 1985, 1986 and 1987. I co-owned and managed the Evian Cycling Team from 1988 to 1993. It was the most successful cycling team in Canadian history and still is. I managed the Shaklee Pro Men's Team in the US. I worked with the MAVIC Race Service Team driving the BMW (I had secure in sponsorship for them) with a mechanic on the back. I was Director of 1999 Montreal Women's World Cup. I was Competition Coordinator for the 2003 CDN Road Nationals and the 2003 World Road Championships, that's just the highlights. I can give you more details off-line. I also covered cycling for The Gazette, The Globe and Mail, Pedal Magazine, VeloNews (you can fidn my blogs on-line) and Bicycling, among others.

Here is a refernce from cycling writer and TV commentator Patrick Van de Wille:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty the Lapsed Canuck
"Whoa boy, I think it's silly to say I have better knowledge of cycling than Ed. My own list of racing accomplishments is very, very scarce (though I did win one of the two races I entered, riding Chris Firek's too-tall bike and dressed up in the Ultramar Bear suit for the celebrity race). My only claim is spectator- and journalist-side."

Posted on Pedal Magazine Web Forum: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:07 am

I have repeatedly applied to the CCA but they prefer to hire people with no cycling experiece whatsoever to run the sport for the country, like current Canadian Aycling Association Director General Lorraine Lafreniere who came from a coaching association when she never coached, who never competed herself and who has never organized a competitive event herself in any sport. She is a talkng head, PR person.

Good to know that you've done something. Hearing how CCA works I can see why some people in one provincial association are trying to "smoke out" the only guy who is motivated, experienced and has time to work with provincial junior team. I wonder how this guy and couple of others have energy to try make something happen when there's a group of people who just know things better.

holli said:
Good to know that you've done something. Hearing how CCA works I can see why some people in one provincial association are trying to "smoke out" the only guy who is motivated, experienced and has time to work with provincial junior team. I wonder how this guy and couple of others have energy to try make something happen when there's a group of people who just know things better.
I have no idea what you are talking about..., and neither do you.

Let me guess, you are about 17 years old and have raced in two provinces????

Let's talk after you have done about 1500 races (road, track, mtb).

Fausto Coppied said:
I have no idea what you are talking about..., and neither do you.

Let me guess, you are about 17 years old and have raced in two provinces????

Let's talk after you have done about 1500 races (road, track, mtb).
My english is pretty bad but I'll try again.

Provincial associations (at least some of them) seem to follow CCA's example in how to screw things up. Got it this time?

You quessed my age wrong but number of provinces I've raced in is correct. Congratulations for that! I don't want to argue with you because I just can't see what good could come out of that. I don't have any experience in Canadian cycling though and I don't know do I even want to get too involved.

Don't pay too much attention to Ed. He is here only for entertainment, nothing more. Ed is mad at the world because he got fired from his big opportunity to show the cycling world who he is. He was working at the World Championship where he did show people who he is and subsequently was let go. This is a theme with Ed. Sure, he'll tell you how great he was, but he'll fail to mention all the foibles, which numbers greater then his successes. Ed is essentially the Prince of lies. Have a look at his web site and you will have a small glimpse at his ineptitude.

By the way, good race at BOB.

Prairie Boy said:
Don't pay too much attention to Ed. He is here only for entertainment, nothing more. Ed is mad at the world because he got fired from his big opportunity to show the cycling world who he is. He was working at the World Championship where he did show people who he is and subsequently was let go. This is a theme with Ed. Sure, he'll tell you how great he was, but he'll fail to mention all the foibles, which numbers greater then his successes. Ed is essentially the Prince of lies. Have a look at his web site and you will have a small glimpse at his ineptitude.

Yes, Ed is very much angry at the world especially the Canadian Cycling Association and is completely obsessed with his banter towards the CCA.

I have refereed more mountainbike races on Vancouver Island than any other commissaire in Canada, as mountainbiking has been the 2nd coming of Cycling, yet Ed prefers to differ. At the fine age of 48 I'm looking forward to meet him and give some Canadian Grade A Prime Beef with a smack in the head.

Road & track, fella, that's what will save Canadian cycling if it is to be saved at all.

Good attitude you have for a Commissaire.

I look forward to meeting you.

You've "refereed" cycling races, huh!

God help us.....

Prairie Boy said:
Thanks. Might be that it was my last road race this year. Sucks to be unemployed cyclist living in the middle of prairies. No races near here, can't afford to travel to any races because it's $$$ a weekend but at least I have LOTS of time to train.

I think road has much more potential than MTB or track but it might be just me. In Europe MTB marathons are big thing so that might work here as well, but no one seems to be interested in organizing them.

You are correct in your assessment that road and track have more to offer than MTB.

You are also correct in your assessment of Saskatchewan racing.

As I have been saying for four years, Saskatchewan is the worst province in Canada for cycling and has been for at least 35 years. Bill Kinash ran things there for about the last 20 years so that tells you the poor job he has been doing.

Somehow Kinash's ineptitude was then foisted on the entire country and he has done for it what he did for Saskatchewan which is drive it into the ground.

Too bad that you couldn't make it out to the stage race in Regina on the weekend. There were a good number of racers from Manitoba. It's always nice to have them out and to see Marian. You would have also been able to meet Ed's best friend, Bill. Bill was helping out with the race. Bill is a man of tremendous power. He alone made all the decisions at the CCA. He ruled autocratically. Absolutely fantastic how one man had so much power?

Poor, poor Ed. He came up against such a giant in Canadian cycling. Ed could have done so much, he was such a genius, but Bill, for whatever reason, saw to it that Ed was fired. Maybe we can see something in the small glimpse of Ed's history that we are afforded. Gun charges, fired from most of his jobs. He spouts of as being this big guru of cycling, but was fired from the World Championship position. This is the cause of most of ranting. Ed wanted to be on the world cycling stage, but as soon as the powers to be found out how inept he was, there comes the unemployment line. Poor Ed, a terrible failure at everything!

Have a look back on one of his past posts and you can see his employment application to the CCA, or take a look at his web site. Easy to see why Ed has a hate on for the world. He is a misunderstood genius! He could have made cycling bigger then hockey, but no one would listen to him.

You have to wonder where Ed went to school? He can't figure out that you are from Manitoba. Is there no Minnedosa stage race this year?

I'm not Ed's biggest fan, and I have critised him for his personal attacks. For the same reason though, I think you need to live a bit happier and stop the personal attacks. Your nom de plume is especially inappropriate and libellous.