Montreal to New York route?

Adam Crawford

Guest
Hi,

Anyone have any suggestions for a good route from Montreal to Manhattan? I know both cities well but
am not too familiar with the area in between. I'm looking for reasonably direct, scenic, and
relatively quiet roads (I know, I'm greedy). In particular, how are routes 9 and 9W?

Thanks,

There is a signed on-street bike route between Montreal and NYC. I am not sure of the # in Canada;
it is "9" in NY. Good roads. I am sure you can trackdown maps by searching.

This will get you started:http://www.champlainbikeways.org/

In article <[email protected]>, Adam Crawford
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Anyone have any suggestions for a good route from Montreal to Manhattan? I know both cities well
>but am not too familiar with the area in between. I'm looking for reasonably direct, scenic, and
>relatively quiet roads (I know, I'm greedy). In particular, how are routes 9 and 9W?

I rode down from Ottawa to NYC last year. Much of it the same.

I rode through Saranac Lake, Lake Placid, Route 73 to route 9. I took route 9 mostly (a few short
cuts.) down to a bit past Saratoga, then I headed over to another road which ran along the Hudson.
This took me into Troy.

I went through Troy rather than the much larger Albany. It was only 5-10 minutes of city riding.
Very little traffic on Rt 9 there, although I went through Lake George Vil at something like 7:00AM.
I'm sure you'd run into traffic there later, especially on a weekend. Glens Falls too.

From there down, I got excellent advice from Ken Roberts.

http://www.roberts-1.com/bikehudson/

When I followed his suggestions, things were great. When I didn't things were sometimes great,
but a few times I was either on a very busy road (9W has some real busy sections) or even on a 4
lane highway.

From Troy, I was on the east side of the Hudson until Poughkeepsie, crossed there, and went back
across the George Washington Bridge.

Cycling through the Adirondacks were nice (I've done that numerous times), but it was my first time
through the Hudson Valley, and in spite of the some bad sections, I really enjoyed it. Especially
around the West Point area. Ken suggested a beautiful (but hilly) route.

Oh yeah... Many of the towns you ride through along the way are beautiful Big old houses, huge trees
on their lawn.

When I did it, I was self sufficient: I carried a small tent and sleeping bag. I would stop along
the road near a wooded section and steathily head in. It was easy to find enough woods in the
Adirondacks, it was much tougher in the Hudson Valley. (my last night was 10 or so miles north of
Poughkeepsie.)

I had a delorme book-map with me, but when you stop in corner stores along the way, you can pick up
the county maps along the way.

I didn't have time to cycle back. I only had a week off, and wanted to spend time with my family in
NYC, so I took AMTRAK (with my bike) to Montreal.

It is a trip I will definately do again.

LITTLE KNOWN FACT: Did you know that 90% of North Americans cannot taste the difference between
fried dog and fried cat?

I rode from Montreal to NYC two years ago. It was a great trip, although I would recommend doing it
in more than 4 days. I put some pictures and text up at
http://home.att.net/~gasiorcj/montrealrideback.html.

I made up a cue sheet ahead of time (with help from Ken Roberts, Lake Champlain Bike Routes, and
someone who organized a Montreal to NYC brevet a while back), but didn't stick to it exactly. I made
some notes on it and could probably find it to fax to you if you'd like.

Route 9 south of the Canada border was really, really nice. Hardly any traffic at all, very smooth,
well graded, scenic, etc. I'd recommend it for at least part of your trip.

hannah

news:[email protected]...